On this page
Now, with the wonderful advent of DNA testing adding science to genealogy, the lack of paper records can be overcome, to some extent, and has provided two fascinating breakthroughs (see below).
The charts below now reflect a major review of my early Sinton data, including where I now think my earliest proven Sinton ancestor, Peter, cattle dealer or drover of Bairnkin, Southdean, Roxburghshire, fits (based on the Oct 2008 DNA results).
Check out the individual people for notes on assumptions made as to linkages, particularly:
- the assumed progenitor James, carrier of Abbotrule, buried Clesleepeel
- the dna matched John, (married Alison Hall)
- SINTONs a list of all the SINTONs (and spice) included on this site
The Southdean Sintons
- SINTON The SINTONs of Southdean - other Surnames: OLIVER, MATHER, WIGHT, ROBSON, THOMSON, TURNBULL, MABON, AINSLIE, HALL, TELFORD/TELFER
DNA related Sintons
- John & Alison (HALL) SINTON John was born Southdean abt 1807 but died in 1854, prior to civil registration. Descendants inter-connect with several other families of interest. DNA results just in (Oct 2008, SINTON Surname DNA Project) show that there is indeed a relationship between his descendants, and those of the family of Peter and Janet (DONALDSON) SINTON.
- William & Isabella (SCOTT) SINTON The SINTONs of Jedburgh. The second DNA breakthrough (Dec 2008) is harder to connect in as William and Isabella have no known Southdean connections. Results do show that there is as close a relationship between his descendants, and those of the family of Peter and Janet (DONALDSON) SINTON, as between the two Southdean participants.
The Southdean, or possibly related, families of particular interest:The following will be added to the Sinton Wanted! section on DNA Surnames Lineages, and/or the World Family Network Patriarchs page when time permits
- John & Margaret (KAY) SINTON Believed to be the son of James & Janet (OLIVER) SINTON above, would be great to fully prove this.
- John & Ann (KNOX) SINTON John was born Southdean c 1798, ag lab at Crailinghall, Jedburgh 1841 and 1851
- William & Isobel (Black) SINTON Two children show up in census data as being born in Southdean, Agnes and John.
Agnes' son William TELFER married Cecilia MATHER, a grddtr of Peter & Janet (DONALDSON) SINTON.
- Thomas & Elizabeth (HASTIE) SINTON Married, lived and died in Southdean, although Thomas was "of Jedburgh" when he married.
Their son James married Jane AINSLIE, a grddtr of Peter & Jeanie (WIGHT) SINTON, and they moved south into England.
- Robert & Jane (WIGHT) SINTON Robert's children were born in Ancrum and the family emigrated to the Chateauquay Valley, Quebec.
With the WIGHT marriage it is tempting to believe there has to be a connection.
- James & Jean (TROTTER) SINTON James and Jean's children were born at Dunse (BEW)
- Thomas & Elizabeth (CURRY) SINTON Thomas and Elizabeth's children were born at Sunup (now Soonhope) in Lauder.
Northumberland families who may be related?The following will be added to either the Sinton Wanted! section on DNA Surnames Lineages, or the World Family Network Patriarchs page when time permits
- John & Mary (WILSON) SINTON Potentially the John son of Patrick SINTON of Southdean
- John & Elizabeth (PERCY) SINTON of Lowick, Northumberland
So, if you can claim any of these families and place them in their rightful places, I'd love to hear from you
- Sinton surname DNA project male SINTON descendants of any lineage, anywhere, would be most welcome to join this group to aid the investigation of possible linkages between the identified lines. Check the Patriarchs page for what I hope will be a growing list of submitted identified family lines. All SINTONs welcome, the project isn't just for me to prove my pet theories, although if perchance your research overlaps with mine I'd particularly love to hear from you. SINTONs are one of my pet lines (or else I wouldn't have started the project).
And the women needn't feel neglected, anyone (male or female) who can claim any of the SINTON wives as their mother's mother's mother's mother's ... mother is welcome to use the group discount for testing the mtDNA as well.
- A general collection of Sinton related pages (should you have a favourite SINTON related set of web pages, online family trees etc, just send me an email for them to be included)
Do also check the place index in top menu as some headstone photos are included. To access any further place information from the index, click on the little information icon next to the name for the pictures, and the G for a map.
Make sure you zoom right in, as there are mainly green balloons for birth places, and red ones for death places. Some balloons are hiding others.
SINTON Descendants (and spice): BDM Events