Francis Douglas Sinton1
(6 January 1882 - 1971)
|Father||John Gillies Sinton2,1 (Jun 1843 - Apr 1904)|
|Mother||Isabella Wight1 (Oct 1840 - bet. Apr 1904 - Jun 1904)|
|Relationship||2nd cousin 2 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataFrancis Douglas Sinton was born on 6 Jan 1882 Kelso, ROX, SCT.1,3,4
Francis Douglas Sinton married Margaret Alice Runciman, daughter of Margery Weatherly Runciman, on 23 Apr 1904 at the Pres. Meeting Hse, Crookham, Dist of Glendale, NBL, ENG, cert. shows Francis as 22, police constable, resid. Achklington, s/o John Gillis (sic) Sinton, police constable and Margaret as 24, cook (domestic) resid Mardon, Branxton, d/o Thomas Runciman, farm steward, dec. (her birth cert shows her as illeg. dtr of Margery Runciman, no father given, this Runciman family appears not to be related to Francis' mothers forbears.)5,2,6
Francis Douglas Sinton died in 1971 reg. Dist of Northumberland Central, NBL, ENG.7,4,5,8
Census/Where lived/OccupationsThe census of 1891 showed George and Francis in the household of their parents John and Isabella Sinton The Butts Police Office, Kelso, ROX, SCT, enumerated as SINTON: John 46 police constable b Cavers; wife Isabella, 49 b Jedburgh; Children: George 12 b Hawick groom apprentice; Francis D 9 scholar b Kelso. Also 2 lodgers both police constables: James MORRISON, 35 b Huntly, ABD; Robert MIDDLEMAS 29 b Kelso.3,9
The census of 1901 showed Francis in the household of his mother Isabella No. 1 Landlands Bank, Hawick, ROX, SCT, enumerated as SINTON: Isabella 60 head, house keeper domestic b Scarborough (sic), ROX; Son Francis Douglas 19 laundry vanman b Kelso, ROX.10
Fr 1902 - 1947 Francis Douglas Sinton was a policeman. The book I mention above states that "had been in the force for 18 years" (as at 28 Feb 1920) "eventually recovered ... he continued serving with the force until he was 65", and that he was awarded the Kings Police Medal for his bravery in this incident.4
Francis Douglas Sinton appeared on the census of 1911 Walbottle, Newburn S O, Dist of Castle Ward, NBL, ENG, with Margaret Alice Runciman, enumerated as SINTON: Francis Douglas 29 County Police Constable b Kelso, ROX; wife Margaret Alice 28 marr. 7 yrs 3 children all living b Graden, ROX; Children: Isabella May 6, John William 4 both b Acklington, NBL; George Arnold 2 b Wooler, NBL.11
All the other infoI was first put on the trail of Francis having possibly moved south when I read a March 1920 issue of The Scotsman which reported : "a dastardly attack.. on P C Francis Sinton, at the quiet little village of Rothbury... seriously wounded"
At the time I didn't have any information to place him in "my" extended family, but tucked the info away. As more info becomes more readily available I find myself reviewing families to see what else might now be found. Lo and behold a marriage in England of a Francis Douglas Sinton in the right sort of timeframe. Looked very promising. He had married a Margaret, either a Bryson or a Runciman. So off I went searching further. I found a mention of him in the book "Tough Times & Grisley Crimes" in a chapter headed "A Wild West Drama" which not only outlined the attack that related to the 1920 report in The Scotsman, but much more importantly gave him an age, which matched the Francis Doulgas S. I was looking for. In the meantime I'd also acted on my hunch that his wife would be the Runciman lady and traced cousins living in Northumberland who remembered some sort of relation of the family visiting many years ago, a PC John Sinton of Lynemouth. Sounded even more promising. And sure enough, when the marriage cert. turned up, all was confirmed.
I'd very much like to complete this quest (much summarised above) by tracing living descendants of Francis and Margaret.12,4,7
As suspected, the Isabella May Sinton, birth reg. in the Dist of Alnwick was indeed a dtr. Family memory down the Runciman side is that PC John Sinton had a dtr Isabella, but I think this might turn out to be a sister as I've not found any trace in the records of a dtr in the right timeframe, but did find this 1904 dtr.13
|Margaret Alice Runciman (Sep 1875 - aft. 1911)|
|Charts||William RICHARDSON of Pringlestead, Eckford|
RUNCIMAN of Earlston/Wanton Walls
Alexander & Janet (HENDRIE) RUNCIMAN of Meikle Pinkerton, ELN
William & Isabella (SCOTT) SINTON
|Last Edited||21 Mar 2010|
- Mac ROBERTSON, "FT SINTON, JamesWILKIE, Mgt", also assorted correspondence., Rcvd 1997.
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Marr. 1904 Margaret Alice RUNCIMAN & Francis Douglas SINTON, Crookham, Dist of Glendale, NBL, copy rcvd Sep 2007.
- 1891 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, Via Ancestry.com, Kelso, ROX Par. 793 ED 6 Pg 21 Sched 109, hsehold of John G & Isabella SINTON, extracted Mar 2007.
- Www SINTON searches & misc. correspondence "A Wild West Drama", from "Tough Times & Grisly Crimes" by Nigel Green, via Amazon.co.uk "Search inside this book", extracted Sep 2007.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Marr. 1904 Francis Douglas SINTON & either Margaret Alice RUNCIMAN or Margaret BRYSON, reg. Glendale, NBL Jun qtr, 10b/878, extracted Sep 2007.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Sep 2007.
- The Scotsman Archive, Francis SINTON: policeman shot, Rothbury, NBL - Page 7 Tues 2nd Mar 1920, extracted Dec 2005.
- Birth death marriage indexes: 1916-2005 (St Caths), http://ancestry.com, Dth 1971 Francis Douglas SINTON, born 6 Jan 1883 (sic), reg. NBL Central, 1b/862, extracted Mar 2010.
- 1891 Census, Borders, ROX Index Dist 793 (Kelso) Enum Dist 6 page 21, extracted say 1999?
- 1901 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, Via Ancestry.com, Hawick, ROX Reg 789/2 ED 7 Pg 4 Sched 31, hsehold of Isabella SINTON, extracted Sep 2007.
- Findmypast online at http://www.findmypast.com, Walbottle, Newburn S O Dist of Castle Ward, NBL, RG14PN30876 RG78PN1765 RD560 SD3 ED6 SN59, hsehold of Francis Douglas & Margaret Alice SINTON, extracted Mar 2010.
- Www SINTON searches & misc. correspondence Kings Medal, 1920, PC Francis SINTON, Rothbury, from "Tough Times & Grisly Crimes" by Nigel Green, found at http://www.nigelgreenmedia.com/, extracted Sep 2007.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Sep 2007 & Feb 2008.
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Birth 13 Nov 1904 Isabella May d/o Francis Douglas SINTON & Margaret Alice formerly RUNCIMAN,reg. Sub Dist Warkworth, Dist of Alnwick, NBL, copy rcvd Feb 2008.
- Helen ROBINSON, "EM SINTON/RUNCIMAN NBL ex Helen R," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Rcvd Sep 2007.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.