This family fascinates me. Probably primarily because I've been quite successful with it, there's information to be found and there's a heap of still living relations. As it is a relatively unusual name, it is also a tad easier to trace than some."My" lot are a particularly widespread bunch.
Just some of the hatch/match/despatch events for some of them are shown on the map below, more later.
My earliest proven RUNCIMAN ancestor is David, weaver of Earlston, but his likely father is George, who was living in Westruther (Berwickshire) when he married Jennet FINLAY.
As of Mar 2010 this suddenly expanded as the DNA project has proven that the family of William of Crail (children in Dirleton, North Berwick etc around East Lothian) are closely genetically linked.
Main families of interest
- RUNCIMAN of Earlston/Wanton Walls Descendants of George RUNCIMAN and Jennet FINLAY:
including lines from Michigan, Sth America, Sth Africa, and New Zealand
- RUNCIMAN relations: a list of all the RUNCIMAN descendants (and spice) included on this site
Families proven to be connected via dna testing
- William RUNCIMAN of Crail (Some) descendants of William RUNCIMAN and Elizabeth JAMIESON
- Thomas & Alison (GRIEVE) RUNCIMAN of Innerwick, ELN (Some) descendants of Thomas RUNCIMAN and Alison GRIEVE
- Alexander & Janet (HENDRIE) RUNCIMAN of Meikle Pinkerton, ELN (Some) descendants of Alexander RUNCIMAN and Janet HENDRIE
Assorted links that may be of interest
RUNICMAN Descendants (and spice): BDM Events