(circa November 1715 - after November 1788)
|Father||David Runciman (marr. to Margaret Brown) (say 1685 - aft. 1734); John's grdson James' will states that John's father was David, weaver of Earlston2,3,1|
|Mother||Margaret Brown (say 1690 - )|
|Relationship||5th great-grandfather of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataJohn Runciman was born cir. Nov 1715 Legerwood, BEW, SCT.1 He was baptized on 4 Dec 1715 Gordon, Par. of Gordon, BEW, SCT; entry indexed as John Runciman, father David. An entry in the Parish registers for Dec 4 apparently reads3: "The Minister Lectured Isa 54 and preached upi supra Then Baptised a child to David Runciman in Lingerwood (sic) called John."4,1,5,3 He and Elizabeth Familton were estimated to have married say 1742 ?Par. of Earlston, BEW, SCT.6
John Runciman died aft. Nov 1788 prob. in Earlston, BEW, SCT; so was at least 73 years of age.2
Census/Where lived/OccupationsJohn Runciman was a weaver Earlston, BEW, SCT, cir. 1746 when daughter Margaret christened.7
In 1788 John Runciman was described as a portioner at Earlston, Berwickshire, when wife Elizabeth buried.4,6
Wills/bequestsIn the will of James Runciman on 8 Jun 1858 Wantonwalls, Par. of Lauder, BEW, SCT, John Runciman was mentioned as his grandfather.2,8
NamesHis name was also spelt Runchaman in 1796; when dtr Margaret baptized.9
All the other infoJohn Runciman executed a deed on 5 Feb 1750 over Yonder Croft, BEW, SCT, the extract of which is ... "That upon the fifth day of february in the year of our Lord Iajby  and fifty years and of the Reign of our Sovereign Lord George the Second by the grace of God King of great Brittain, France and Ireland defender of the Faith the twenty third year ... Nottary Publick Subscribing the said procurator [abbreviated] having and in his hands holding ane principall Charter of feu farm ... granted by Dame Grisell Baillie of Jerriswood heretable proprietor of the piece of Ground therin ... and by the Said Charter confirm to the Said John Runciman his heirs and assigneys whatsoever heretably and Irredeemably without any manner of reversion Redemption or Regres whatsoever all and haill that piece of Ground called the Yonder Croft Lying on the South Side of the Town of Earlstone Bounded By the Meadow Ground Called the Sprott of the Heills on the east the Lands of John Carter on the South The lands of Mr John Sheill on the west and the lands of Barbara Tod on the north parts as the Same was possest by Robert Pringle Shoemaker in Earlstone lying within the parish of Earlston Barrony of Mellerstains and Sheriffdom of Berwick But always with and under the Burden and Servitude of a high road through the said peice of Ground in Manner therein and after mentioned Together with all Right and Intrest Claim of Right kindnes property and possession which the Said Dame Grisel Bailllie her heirs or Assigneys had have or anyways might have Claim or pretend thereto in time comeing To be hold & held all and haill the Said peice of Ground called Yonder Croft in manner mentioned in the said Charter Declaring as by the Said Charter is expresly declared that the Said John Runciman and his forsaids Shall be oblidged to give free ish and entry throt [= throughout] the Said peice of Ground to the tenants and possessors of the lands lying on the South Side thereof for Carrying out their Dung thereto and Inbringing of their corns therefrom on all occasions as the said Charter containing therein Clause of Warrandice with the said precept of Seasine after insert and Several other Clauses in it Self more fully bears which Charter of feu farm containing therein the Said precept of Seasine .... In presence of John Murray Mrct in Earltoun John Miller weaver ?? there Adam Mylson officer there ....(so is there an ealier sasine whereby John's father David also was granted the land? John's grandson James' will states that both John, his grandfather, and John's father David had the land, which seems unlikely as John received it from Grisell Baillie. This land may or may not be the land given to the local high school for a playing field by George Wight Runciman, great grandson of John10.11,12,10)
John Runciman witnessed the execution of the Deed of George Hamilton and Mary Sweet on 17 Jun 1751 Kelso, ROX, SCT, being described as "a weaver and portioner of Earlston."13
John Runciman witnessed the execution of the Deed of George Hamilton and Mary Sweet on 30 Nov 1753 Kelso, ROX.14 On 20 Sep 1768 Village, Maxton, Par. of Maxton, ROX, SCT, John Runciman was a cautioner at the marriage of Robert Paterson and Elisabeth Runcheman; "The Bride's Father declard all her relations and himself were well pleased with the Marriage and became caut. for his Daughter."15,16
External linksClick here to see John's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.17
John Runciman belongs to a DNA tested line. There may be more information available on DNASurnames under the DNA project for his/her surname/line.
|Elizabeth Familton (cir. Jul 1720 - Nov 1788)|
|Charts||RUNCIMAN of Earlston/Wanton Walls|
My pedigree chart
Ancestors & siblings of Les Henderson
Paternal ancestors of Lorna
Helen Sinton WIGHT's ancestors
|Last Edited||6 Feb 2016|
- Scotlands People Index, "OPR Berwick, SCT, RUNCIMAN Births 1538-1854", Bap. 4 Dec 1715 John s/o David RUNCIMAN (in Lingerwood), Dist 742 #2, from RUNCIMAN births 1553 to 1716, Gordon, BEW, index searched Oct 2005.
- Will: RUNCIMAN, James 1858, 1867, 1872 (Will written Jun 1858 codicil Dec 1867 Inventory 23 Feb 1872 proved 8 Mar 1872) SC60/41/24 (27 pp) & SC60/44/6 (2pp): Copy d/loaded Sep 2005, (SC60/41/24 dated 23rd Feb 1872 detailed inventory, and Trust Dispostion & Settlement of 8th Jun 1858 and codicil 27 Dec 1867 - 27pp in all)
(SC60/44/6 dated 8th March 1872 confirmed appointment of executors).
- David RUNCIMAN, "RUNCIMAN Corres.," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Bap. 1715 John s/o David RUNCIMAN, Gordon, BEW, transcript rcvd May 2007.
- Paul Richardson, "RICHARDSON, William of Eckford."
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Gordon baptisms 1690-1726, batch C117424, searched Oct 2005, shows all entries for this batch to be christenings, so I assume John's date is also one.
- Burials Baptisms: Earlston, BEW, Burial 1788 Elizabeth RUNCHIMAN, via Paul R, May 1997.
- Burials Baptisms: Earlston, BEW, Bap. 2 Nov 1746 Margaret d/o John RUNCHAMAN, Earlstown, p/copy held, (taken Sep/Oct 1994/5).
- Robert S.McCutcheon, "EM Borders/CAI Corres:McCUTCHEON," e-mail to (1), Photo of The Rhymer's Tower, Earlston, rcvd Nov 2005.
- Burials Baptisms: Earlston, BEW, Bap. Margaret RUNCHAMAN, p/copy held, (taken Sep/Oct 1994/5).
- H D W, "RUNCIMAN Correspondence," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Interview George (Dod) RUNCIMAN, c 1984, extract rcvd Feb 1996.
- H D W, "RUNCIMAN Correspondence," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Sasine (RS19/13) 8 Feb 1750 between Grisell BAILLIE and John RUNCIMAN, p/copy rcvd Feb 1996.
- Lorna Henderson, "RUNCIMAN Analysis", Sep 2005.
- John HAMILTON (40459), "EM FAMILTON, George ex John H," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Sasine dated 1751 George Hamilton in liferent of half husband land and tenem't in Lasudden, transcript rcvd Apr 2005.
- John HAMILTON (40459), "EM FAMILTON, George ex John H," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Sasine dated 1753 William ffamilton to his eldest son George Hamilton "his lands in Earlstoun formerly called Ogele's Croft and field land called Barnie", transcript rcvd Apr 2005.
- FamilySearch Labs Record Search (LDS) online at http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/, Marr. 2 (banns assumed) and 20 Sep 1768 Robert PATERSON & Elizabeth RUNCHEMAN, Maxton, ROX, from Scotland Marriages, 1561-1910 batch M01481-8 film 102297, extracted Sep 2011.
- H D W, "RUNCIMAN Correspondence," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Marr. 1768 Robert PATERSON & Elisabeth RUNCHEMAN, Maxton, rcvd Sep 2011.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct 2011.
- Paul Richardson, "RICHARDSON, William of Eckford", Bap. 16 Sep 1744 Elisabeth d/o John RUNCIMAN & Elizabeth FAMILTON.
- Scotlands People Index, "OPR Berwick, SCT, RUNCIMAN Births 1538-1854", RUNCIMAN births 1700 to 1820 Earlston, BEW, index searched Oct 2005.
- Lorna Henderson, "RUNCIMAN Conclusions", Sep 2011.
- Burials Baptisms: Earlston, BEW, Bap. 2 Nov 1746 Margaret d/o John RUNCHAMAN, Earlstown, p/copy held, (taken Sep/Oct 1994/5), scanned Feb 2012.
- Scotlands People Index, "OPR Berwick, SCT, RUNCIMAN Births 1538-1854", Bap. 17 Feb 1749 Isobel d/o John RUNCHAMAN, Earlston, from RUNCIMAN births 1700 to 1820 Earlston, BEW, index searched Oct 2005.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth cert 1871 James RUNCIMAN, copy d/loaded Sep 2005.
- H D W, "RUNCIMAN Correspondence," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Rcvd Mar 1996.
- Scotlands People Index, "OPR Berwick, SCT, RUNCIMAN Births 1538-1854", Bap. 29 Oct 1751 David s/o John RUNCIMAN, Earlston, 736/ 0010 0118, from RUNCIMAN births 1700 to 1820 Earlston, BEW, index searched Oct 2005.
- Scotlands People Index, "OPR Berwick, SCT, RUNCIMAN Births 1538-1854", Birth/Bap.? 10 Mar 1754 Jean d/o John RUNCHAMAN, Earlston, BEW, from RUNCIMAN births 1700 to 1820 Earlston, BEW, extracted from index Oct 2005.
- Scotlands People Index, "OPR Berwick, SCT, RUNCIMAN Births 1538-1854", Birth/Bap.? 18 Jul 1756 William s/o John RUNCHMAN, Earlston, BEW, 736/ 0010 0125, from RUNCIMAN births 1700 to 1820 Earlston, BEW, extracted from index Oct 2005.
- Scotlands People Index, "OPR Berwick, SCT, RUNCIMAN Births 1538-1854", Birth/Bap.? 2 Jul 1758 Janet d/o John RUNCIMAN, Earlston, BEW, from RUNCIMAN births 1700 to 1820 Earlston, BEW,(no mother's name given in index), extracted from index Oct 2005.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.