(16 June 1800 - 28 January 1865)
|Father||William Wight1 (Nov 1767 - Sep 1847)|
|Mother||Elizabeth Richardson1 (May 1773 - Jun 1831)|
|Relationship||3rd great-uncle of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataRobert Wight was born on 16 Jun 1800 Maxton, ROX, SCT.1 He was christened on 6 Jul 1800 Maxton, Roxburghshire; Entry reads: William Wight carrier in Maxton and his wife Elisabeth Richardson, had a child born June 16th 1800 & baptd 6th July called Robert.1
Robert Wight married Janet Scott say 1832 ?ROX, SCT, date assumed, no mar. obvious on igi, and no children listed either.2
Robert Wight died on 28 Jan 1865 Pinnacle, Ancrum, ROX, SCT; his cert showing him as aged 65, which was a few mths short of the truth (Pinnacle from MIs, Ancrum from death cert.) Malignant disease of stomach, 11 mths; Inf: George W, son.3 He was buried Maxton, Roxburghshire, in a group of Wight and Thomson family graves. Hhis h/stone (on a rather grand obelisk) reads: Sacred to the memory of Robert Wight who died at Pinnacle 28.1.1865 aged 65 years.4
Census/Where lived/OccupationsRobert Wight and Janet Wight appeared on the census of 1841 Mellendean, Par. of Sprouston, ROX, SCT, and are assumed to be husband and wife. They were enumerated as WIGHT: Robert head 35 ag lab; assumed wife Janet 30 both b ROX; Children (assumed): William 8; George 6; James 3; (all b ROX); Isabella 1 b outside ROX; JAFFREY: William 18 ag lab b ROX.2,9
Robert Wight appeared on the census of 1851 Marlefield, Par. of Coldstream, BEW, SCT, with Janet Wight, enumerated as WIGHT: Robert 50 Farmer Of 66 Acres Employing 1 Man & 1 Woman b Maxton; wife Janet 40 b Linton, ROX; Children: William 18 b Linton, James 13 scholar b Linton; John 5 at home b Sprouston; George 3, Isabella Wight 1 both at home b Coldstream; Servants: Betsy Wight 17 b Merton, ROX (niece); Robert Brown 16 b Dunbar, HAD.8
The census of 1861 showed Robert with his wife Janet, their sons George and Robert Mollylees, Par. of Sprouston, ROX, SCT, household enumerated as WIGHT: Robert, 61 farm serv. b Maxton; wife Jannet, 52 b Eckford; Sons: George 13; Robert 8, both scholars b Coldstream, BEW.10 Robert Wight was a farm steward, dec. when son John married in Apr 1868.5
All the other infoRobert Wight ?? s/o William & Elizabeth.
Robert Wight was the informant for the death of his son James Wight on 13 Mar 1855 Newtown, Par. of Coldstream, BEW, SCT.11
Robert Wight was the informant for the death of his daughter Isabella Wight on 19 May 1855 Marlefield, Par. of Coldstream, BEW, SCT.12
|Janet Scott (cir. 1809 - aft. 1881)|
|Charts||William RICHARDSON of Pringlestead, Eckford|
RUNCIMAN of Earlston/Wanton Walls
Ancestors & siblings of Les Henderson
|Last Edited||4 Dec 2012|
- Births baptisms burials: Maxton, ROX (Dist 798), Bap 1800 Robert WIGHT, p/copy taken Sep/Oct 1994/5.
- FreeCensus, UK online at http://www.freecen.org.uk/, 1841 Mellendean, Sprouston SCT1841/807 ED 1 Folio 1 Page 1, hsehold of Robert & Janet WIGHT, extracted Jul 2005.
- Letter, Bob WILCOX to Lorna Henderson, Dth 1865 Robert WIGHT, transcr. rcvd Dec 1995.
- Borders FHS, MIs: ROX Maxton, Entry #118, extracted pre 1999, (and seen Oct 1995).
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Marr. 1868 John WIGHT and Elizabeth BROWN, Dist 685/4 Pg38 #76, copy d/loaded Jan 2006, relationship initially based on dtr Ellen being shown as the niece of Robert (s/o Robert and Janet (SCOTT) WIGHT) in the 1881 census, confirmed by John's marr. cert.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Jan 2006 updated Dec 2012.
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Birth 1872 Janet WIGHT, reg. Birmingham, Mar qtr 1873 6d/146, copy rcvd Jan 2006.
- 1851 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Marlefield, Coldstream, BEW; Reg. 733 ED: 4; Page: 1; Hsehold of Robert & Janet WIGHT, extracted Jul 2005.
- 1841 Census, Borders, SCT, LDS Film, Mellendean, Sprouston, ROX, hsehold of Robert & Janet WIGHT, extracted pre 1999.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, 1861 Census: Sproutson, ROX: Dist 807 (ED4? Folio 2?) pg 2 Sched 7, copy d/loaded Dec 2005.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 13 Mar 1855 James s/o Robert WIGHT & Janet SCOTT, Coldstream, BEW 733 #18, copy d/loaded Dec 2012.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 19 May 1855 Isabella d/o Robert WIGHT & Janet SCOTT, aged 5, reg. Coldstream, BEW 733 #33, copy d/loaded Dec 2012.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 10 Feb 1855 Wiliam s/o Robert WIGHT & Janet SCOTT, aged 21, Coldstream, BEW 733 #8, copy d/loaded Dec 2012.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Marr. 10 Sep 1874 Robert s/o Robert WIGHT & Janet SCOTT; Mary d/o Thomas BOYD and Margaret SCOTT, Coldstream, BEW Dist 733 Pg 7 # 14, copy d/loaded Apr 2009.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.