(circa 1848 - between September 1904 and December 1904)
|Father||Robert Wight1 (Jun 1800 - Jan 1865)|
|Mother||Janet Scott1,2 (cir. 1809 - aft. 1881)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 3 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataGeorge Wight was born cir. 1848 Coldstream, BEW, SCT.3
George Wight married Helen Ann Robertson bet. Mar 1870 - Jun 1870 reg. Belford, NBL, ENG.4,5
George Wight died bet. Sep 1904 - Dec 1904 Southampton, HAM, ENG; (assumed to be this George as wife was in Southampton in 1901, as were their children.)6,7,8
Census/Where lived/OccupationsGeorge Wight appeared on the census of 1851 Marlefield, Par. of Coldstream, BEW, SCT, in the household of Robert Wight and Janet Wight as son of Robert.2
The census of 1861 showed George and Robert in the household of their parents Robert and Janet Wight Mollylees, Par. of Sprouston, ROX, SCT, enumerated as WIGHT: Robert, 61 farm serv. b Maxton; wife Jannet, 52 b Eckford; Sons: George 13; Robert 8, both scholars b Coldstream, BEW.3
The census of 1871 showed George with his wife Helen, their son James, his mother Janet 18 Clayton St E, Newcastle upon Tyne, Dist of St Andrew, NBL, ENG, household enumerated as WIGHT: George 24 shopman and spirit merchant; wife Helen A 30; both b SCT; son James R Robertson 9 scholar b Norham, ENG (I assume he's really Helen's son, not necessarily George's); Mother Jannet (Wight), widow 63, "on a visit" b SCT.10
George and Helen Ann Wight appeared on the census of 1881 Middlewood, Dist of Lanchester, DUR, ENG, as WIGHT: George 33 gardener, dom; wife Helen Ann 38, both b Coldstream, SCT; Children (both scholars): Jane Ann 9 b Newcastle on Tyne; Robert William 6 Nth Sunderland, NBL; Visitor: James Richd Robertson 19 grocer b Norham, NBL.4
The census of 1891 showed George with his wife Helen, their son Robert, their dtr Jane 37 Southsea Rd, Croyden, SRY, ENG, household enumerated as WIGHT: George 45 coffee tavern manager; wife Ellen A 47; both b SCT; Children (both b NBL): Robert W 16 coffee tavern assistant; Jane A 19 dressmaker.7
George Wight was not found in the census of 1901 ENG so there endeth the story back in 2005. Helen aka Ellen was subsequently (Dec 2010) found living in Southampton with dtr Jeanie and her husband, shown as married, not widowed, and appears to have died there in 1905; Son Robert also in Southampton, with wife Annie and children; George is now assumed to be the 1904 dth registration, also Southampton, of a 56 yr old in Dec qtr of 1904.11,8
All the other infoGeorge Wight was the informant for the death of his father Robert Wight on 28 Jan 1865 Pinnacle, Ancrum, ROX, SCT.1
|Helen Ann Robertson (cir. 1843 - bet. Jun 1905 - Sep 1905)|
|Charts||William RICHARDSON of Pringlestead, Eckford|
RUNCIMAN of Earlston/Wanton Walls
|Last Edited||4 Dec 2012|
- Letter, Bob WILCOX to Lorna Henderson, Dth 1865 Robert WIGHT, transcr. rcvd Dec 1995.
- 1851 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Marlefield, Coldstream, BEW; Reg. 733 ED: 4; Page: 1; Hsehold of Robert & Janet WIGHT, extracted Jul 2005.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, 1861 Census: Sproutson, ROX: Dist 807 (ED4? Folio 2?) pg 2 Sched 7, copy d/loaded Dec 2005.
- 1881 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Middle Wood, Par. of Lanchester, DUR ED 19 RG11/4949, Folio 13 Pg 29, hsehold of George & Helen Ann WIGHT, copy d/loaded Dec 2005.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Marr. 1870 George WIGHT and Helen Ann ROBERTSON, reg. Belford, Jun qtr (10b/573), extracted Dec 2005.
- 1881 Census transcripts, UK, via Family Search/LDS CDs, Via Ancestry: Middle Wood, Par. of Lanchester, DUR ED 19 RG11/4949, Folio 13 Pg 29, copy d/loaded Dec 2005.
- 1891 Census, Various, Via Ancestry: Croyden, SRY ED 22 RG12/588, Folio 170 Pg 71 Sched 439, copy d/loaded Dec 2005.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Dth 1904 Q4 George WIGHT, aged 56, Southampton, HAM, 2c/15, extracted Dec 2010.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Dec 2005.
- 1871 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, St Andrew, NBL ED 12 RG10/5087, Folio 14 Pg 21 Sched 109, hsehold of George & Helen A WIGHT, copy d/loaded Dec 2005.
- 1901 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, Via Ancestry.com, Southampton, HAM RG13/1059 ED 37 F 30 Pg 2 Sched 7, hsehold of William P & Jennie R. WAKELY, extracted Dec 2010.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.