(25 July 1877 - 25 March 1955)
|Mother||Isabella Richardson2,3 (Oct 1853 - Aug 1877)|
|Relationship||3rd cousin 2 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataAlexander Richardson was born on 25 Jul 1877 29 Roxburgh St, Kelso, ROX, SCT, the cert showing Alexander as born at 8:40pm, illeg. s/o Isabella Richardson, domestic servant, deceased, inf. Grandfather, James Richardson of Morebattle.4,2,1 On his marriage cert it is implied he was born cir. 1880, not the only bending of the truth on that document!5
Alexander Richardson married Christina Hall, daughter of John Hall and Margaret Kerr, on 31 Dec 1910 Bankhead, Par. of Linton, ROX, SCT, cert. shows (after banns United Free Ch): Alexander as a 30 yr old drainer, usu. resid. Burngrange, Par. of Falstone, NBL s/o James Richardson gardener, and Mary Hogg, both dec. married Christina Hall , field worker 30, usu. resid. Bankhead, Par. of Linton d/o John Hall and Margaret Kerr. Min. J D Lindsay, Wit: Robert Richardson and Helen Hall.5,6
Alexander Richardson died on 25 Mar 1955 Peel Hosp., Galashiels, SEL, SCT, at age 77; Alexander Richardson; farm worker (retired) and married to Christina Hall; son of Isabella Richardson, domestic servant - dec (no father mentioned), usual residence - Weatredor (???) Hall, Kelso ; age 77;inf. his son Alexander Richardson, of Elm Cottage, Smailholm.7,3 He was buried with Christina Hall in the Rosebank Cem., Kelso, ROX, SCT, h/stone reading: ILMO Alexander Richardson bel. husb. of Christina Hall d 25.3.1955 aged 77 yrs also Margaret Elizabeth Richardson dtr of the above d 7.10.1964 aged 63 yrs (whose birth cert shows her to be Christina's illeg. dtr and may or may not belong to Alexander) also the above Christina Hall d. 24.1.1968 aged 88 yrs.8,9
Census/Where lived/OccupationsThe census of 1881 showed Robert and Alexander in the household of their grdparents James and Mary Richardson Morebattle, ROX, SCT, enumerated as RICHARDSON: James, 55 b Morebattle, gardener's lab., wife Mary 55 b Jedburgh. Son James, 17, field worker, b Morebattle. Grdsons: Robert, 8, scholar, b Morebattle; Alexander, 3, b Kelso (in 1891 likewise with ages all 10 yrs older and Robert and Alexander as ag labs.)1 Alexander Richardson appeared on the census of 1901 in the Village, Morebattle, ROX, SCT, in the household of his grandfather James Richardson as a 23 yr old roadman b Kelso.10 At the time of his marriage in Dec 1910 Alexander Richardson was a drainer of Burngrange, Par. of Falstone, NBL, ENG.5
By Jan 1915 Alexander Richardson was a farm servant Ormiston Mains, Eckford, ROX, SCT, when son Alexander born.11 By Apr 1941 he was a farm worker ?Fans, Par. of Earlston, BEW, SCT, when son Alexander married.6
Wills/bequestsAlexander Richardson was a beneficiary of the 22 Sep 1897 will of Jane Richardson Morebattle, ROX, SCT.12
Alexander Richardson are all mentioned in the Inventory of Jane Richardson on 5 Jul 1898 Sheriff Court, Jedburgh, ROX, SCT.12
All the other infoOh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive. Alexander first came to my attention as a grdson of James & Mary (Hogg) Richardson in the 1881 census, and fairly quickly thereafter I found his birth as the 2nd illegitimate son of James' dtr Isabella, who died giving birth to Alexander. Having been brought up by his grandparents after his mother died, he seems to have considered them his parents, and named them as such on his 1910 marr. cert. I believe this was probably to fudge his illegitimate status however, rather than his real belief, as only a few years before he had been the informant for his grandfather's death and clearly signed himself as grdson. Certainly the family knew about this as the record was put straight when he died, his own son Alexander as the informant for the dth showed his correct mother, no father, and corrected the license he had originally taken with his age at marriage.13
Alexander Richardson was the informant for the death of his grdfather James Richardson on 13 Aug 1903 Morebattle, ROX, SCT.14,15
|Charts||William RICHARDSON of Pringlestead, Eckford|
RUNCIMAN of Earlston/Wanton Walls
|Last Edited||19 Feb 2006|
- 1881 Census transcripts, UK, via Family Search/LDS CDs, FHL Film 0224042 GRO Ref Volume 801 EnumDist 1 Page 11, extracted Feb 2002.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Birth 1877 Alexander RICHARDSON, trans. Stuart H Oct 2002.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1955 Alexander RICHARDSON, transcr. by Robert McC, rcvd Feb 2006.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Birth 1877 Alexander RICHARDSON, Dist 793 Pg 34 #102, copy d/loaded Jan 2006.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Mar. 1910 Alexander RICHARDSON and Christina HALL, transc by Robert McC, rcvd Jan 2006.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Mar. 1941 Mary Taylor Sinton LOCKIE and Alexander RICHARDSON, transc by Robert McCUTCHEON, rcvd Jan 2006.
- The Scotsman Archive, Marr. 1941 Alexander RICHARDSON and Mary Taylor Sinton LOCKIE, pg 10, Sat 26th Apr 1941, extracted Jan 2006.
- BFHS, MIs: Kelso, ROX 1870-2002, #2342 Alexander, Christina and Margaret Elizabeth RICHARDSON, extracted Feb 2006.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Birth 1900 Margaret Elizabeth RICHARDSON, transcr. by Robert McC, rcvd Feb 2006.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, 1901 Census: Morebattle Dist 801 ED 1 Folio 2 Pg 4 Sched 27, hsehold of James RICHARDSON, copy d/loaded Feb 2006.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Birth 1915 Alexander RICHARDSON, transcr. by Robert McC, rcvd Feb 2006.
- RICHARDSON, Jane, Inventory 1898, Jedburgh Sheriff Court (filed 5 Jul 1898) SC62/44/97: Will Sep 1897, and 1898 Confirmation, included with Inventory, copy d/loaded Jun 2007.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Feb 2006.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1903 James RICHARDSON, reg. Morebattle, Dist 801/#5, transcr. by Stuart H, rcvd Feb 2002.
- Borders FHS, MIs: ROX Morebattle, H/stone #158, extracted Feb 2002.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.