(1891 - 5 June 1964)
|Father||John Walls Gibson4 (Oct 1854 - Apr 1923)|
|Mother||Beatrice Thomson Wight4,2 (Dec 1856 - Jul 1935)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 2 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataJohn Walls Gibson was born in 1891 Edinburgh, MLN, SCT, (?was 28th Oct in birthday book, this one or father? Certainly didn't appear in 1891 census, taken April.)3
John Walls Gibson married Margaret Beattie Michie, daughter of James Michie and Jane Alexander Christie, on 8 Jul 1922 St John's Manse, Hawick, ROX, SCT, Cert reads: John Walls Gibson, 31, bachelor, quantity surveyor, usu. resid. 11 Briarbank Tce, Edinburgh, s/o John Walls Gibson and Beatrice Thomson Wight, mar. Margaret Beattie Michie, 27, spinster, chemist shop assistant, usu. res. 1 Wilton Hill, Hawick, d/o James Michie, tweed manufacturer and Jane Alexander Christie, on Jul 8, 1922 at St John's Manse (C of S), Hawick.4,5
John Walls Gibson died on 5 Jun 1964 Walton Cottage, Dolphinton, LKS, SCT; cert. reads: John Walls Gibson surveyor, married to Margaret Michie, aged 73, s/o John Walls Gibson, clerk of works, and Beatrice Thomson m.s. Wight both dec. Inf. W. Gibson (nephew), 48 Sloan Street, Edinburgh (wonder which of John's brother's "W" is a son of?)6,7
Census/Where lived/OccupationsThe census of 31 Mar 1901 showed Andrew, John and Walter and their sister Helen in the household of their parents John and Beatrice Gibson 11 Briar Bank Tce, St Michael, Edinburgh, MLN, SCT, enumerated as GIBSON: John, head, mar, ?46?, clerk of works, worker, b Dunfermline, FIF, wife, Beatrice, 45, b Maxton, ROX. Sons: Andrew, 17, scholar & assistant in mechanical engineers workshop; Walter Wight, 15, scholar; John Walls, 10, scholar; Dtr: Helen Robertson L, 9, scholar, all children b . Edin. House 4 rooms with one or more windows.3
John Walls Gibson was given as a quantity surveyor on his marriage cert in Jul 1922 of 11 Briarbank Tce, Edinburgh, MLN, SCT, (address is that of parents in 1901 - ?still living at home?)4
He was believed to have worked for British Aluminium Industries, although this may be a mistaken assumption from the photographs taken Loch Leven, SCT.5 By 1935 Jack was involved in the demolition and reconstruction of Arisaig House, INV, SCT, after the fire (dated as 1935 from web searches). Snap annotated on back "Arisaig House N W Highlands. One of my jobs re-construction after fire. There was nothing but the shell left which also had to be demolished."5 He lived in 1940 3 Afton Tce, Granton, Edinburgh, MLN, SCT.8
Wills/bequestsJohn Walls Gibson was confirmed as executor of the estate of Helen Sinton Clark on 25 Apr 1933 London, LND, ENG; index shows Helen Sinton CLARK or BELL of St Ronans Hotel Innerleithen widow d. 16 Sep 1932. Confirmation of John Walls Gibson surveyor, John Clark retired shepherd and David Grieg Wallace solicitor.9
John Walls Gibson were named as beneficiaries in the 1940 will of their aunt Catherine Gibson Edinburgh, MLN, SCT.8
All the other infoJohn Walls Gibson witnessed the marriage of his cousin Alice Wight to Alexander Pryde Stein on 8 Apr 1911 35 George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, MLN, SCT.10,11,12
Helen, Andrew, John and Walter are shown in a photo of Beatrice and John taken cir. 1913 Edinburgh, MLN, SCT; (year guessed: Andrew and Walter not in uniform, so presumably prior to WWI; 1913 puts Helen at age 21, which looks about right - poss. her 21st? R S Webster was certainly a photographer in Edinburgh at this period.)2 John was a witness to the marriage of his sister Frances Grant to Walter Wight Gibson on 21 Feb 1919 St Davids United Free Ch, Lower Largo, FIF, SCT.13
John was the informant for the death of his father John Walls Gibson on 11 Apr 1923 in the Dist. of Morningside, Edinburgh, MLN, SCT.14
John Walls Gibson and Amelia Jane Henderson are related as 1st cousins. They appear to have been in contact around 1935 (subsequent info found that his mother died in 1935 which may account for this date) , as a packet of photos in Amelia Harbour nee Henderson's effects were from "your cousin Jack Gibson" and included the Arisaig House fire.5 John Walls Gibson attended the funeral service of Catherine Gibson in 1940.15
|Margaret Beattie Michie (cir. 1895 - aft. 1964)|
|Charts||William RICHARDSON of Pringlestead, Eckford|
RUNCIMAN of Earlston/Wanton Walls
|Last Edited||28 Jul 2016|
- 2nd forename from Rod G.
- John GIBSON Beatrice Thomson WIGHT (1382) and their adult family Photo, c 1913?, Filed "Other children Walter WIGHT/Helen SINTON", found in effects of Elizabeth Helen Sinton FLETCHER nee HENDERSON, d/o Helen Sinton HENDERSON nee WIGHT, 1981, scanned May 2002.
- Rod GIBSON (30332), "EM GIBSON, Rod," e-mail to L McIntosh (1), May 2002 ex 1901 cens: Edinburgh St Michael, Herelister Ward, Page 10 #61.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Mar. 1922 John GIBSON/Margaret MICHIE, transcr. Robert Mc C, Sep 2003.
- "Memorabilia relating to the extended HENDERSON families.", Packet of holiday snaps labelled Mrs A HARBOUR but containing Scottish scenes and notes on reverse from Jack GIBSON, "your cousin."
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1964 John Walls GIBSON, transcr. Robert McC Jul 2005.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, John Walls GIBSON dths, 1934 to 1954, index d/loaded Jul 2005.
- Adela TAYLOR, "EM GIBSON/WALLS ex Adela T," e-mail to (1), Testament of Catherine GIBSON, extract rcvd Aug 2006.
- UK Probate Calendar by via Ancestry.com online at http://ancestry.com, Dth 16 Sep 1932 (Innerleithen, PEE) Probate 25 Apr 1933 (London) Helen Sinton CLARK or BELL, to John Walls GIBSON, John CLARK, David Grieg WALLACE, extracted Jul 2016.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Marr. 1911 Alexander STEIN and Alice WIGHT, Edinburgh, MLN, transcr. Robert McC, rcvd Dec 2006.
- Susan WILSON nee REID (33246), "EM WIGHT/STEIN ex Susan W," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Feb 2003.
- Interview, Iris WIGHT nee BEVERIDGE (13786), Sep 1995.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Mar. 1919 Walter WIght GIBSON and Frances GRANT, copy d/loaded Jul 2005.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1923 John Walls GIBSON (Sr), trans. Stuart H Oct 2003.
- Adela TAYLOR, "EM GIBSON/WALLS ex Adela T," e-mail to (1), Rcvd Aug 2006.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.