(7 April 1818 - 13 November 1886)
|Father||John Richardson (Dec 1777 - Feb 1855)|
|Mother||Elizabeth Shiel (Dec 1784 - Dec 1875)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 4 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataJemima Richardson was born on 7 Apr 1818 Morebattle, ROX, SCT, (however Jean R. says 5 Apr 1819.)1,2,3
Jemima Richardson married Robert Dickson, son of Robert Dickson and Alice Robson, cir. 1840 Morebattle, ROX.4,5
Jemima Dickson died on 13 Nov 1886 in the cowfield, Sunlawshill, Par. of Roxburgh, ROX, SCT, at age 68; cert reads: Jemima Dickson, widow of Robert Dickson, farm steward, died at 4:30pm aged 68, dtr of John Richardson, blacksmith, and Eiizabeth m.s. Shiel, both dec., of natural causes. Inf. son James Dickson, present.6,7,8 She was buried with Robert Dickson Morebattle, ROX, MIs read: "ILMO our bel. father Robert Dickson who fell asleep in Jesus 6.1.1873 aged 82 (stone says 62, which is correct) years also our bel. mother Jemima Richardson who fell asleep in Jesus 13.11.1886 aged 68 yrs."8,9
Census/Where lived/OccupationsJemima Dickson appeared on the census of 1841 Grahamslaw, Par. of Eckford, ROX, SCT, with Robert Dickson, as DICKSON: Robert 30 ag lab b outside ROX; wife Jemima 23 b ROX; (next page) Robert 7m b ROX (NB enumerators were instructed to round ages down to the nearest multiple of 5.)5 Jemima Richardson appeared on the census of 30 Mar 1851 Hounam Mains, Hounam, ROX, SCT, as neighbour of Peter Sinton and Jane Sinton.10
Jemima Dickson appeared on the census of 30 Mar 1851 East Grange, Hounam, ROX, SCT, with Robert Dickson, enumerated as DICKSON: Robert, 41, farm steward b Eccles, BEW, wife Jemima (nee Richardson), 32 b Morebattle, ROX. Children: Robert, 10, scholar, b Morebattle; Mary, scholar, 9, b Eckford; Alison, 7, scholar b Linton; John, 5 at home, b Crookham, NBL; Henry 3 b Morebattle; Adam, 1 b Hounam, ROX. (Only one entry separates Robert & Jemima Dickson nee Richardson household and that of Peter Sinton.11)
The census of 7 Apr 1861 showed Jemima with her husband Robert, their sons Henry, Robert, Adam and William, their dtrs Ann, Mary, Alice and Elisabeth Hounam, ROX, SCT, household enumerated as DICKSON: Robert, 50, farm steward b Eccles, BEW, wife Jemima (nee Richardson), 43 b Morebattle. Children: Robert un, 20, ploughman, b Morebattle, Mary unm 19, b Eckford, Alice un, 17, ag lab b Linton, Henry 13 scholar b Morebattle, Adam, 11, Elizabeth 8, Ann 5 all scholar b Hounam, William 2 b Hounam.12
The census of 1881 showed Jemima, with her dtr Ann, Village, Kirk Yetholm, Par. of Yetholm, ROX, SCT, enumerated as DICKSON: Jemima head, shepherd's widow, 62; Dtr Ann seamstress, dtr, 25, both b. Morebattle, ROX.13
All the other infoShe was given as a daughter, aged 36, of John Richardson when the latter died on 23 Feb 1855 Burnfoot, Par. of Linton, ROX, SCT.14
Jemima outlived her husband Robert Dickson who died on 6 Jan 1873.15,16
|Robert Dickson (1811 - Jan 1873)|
|Charts||William RICHARDSON of Pringlestead, Eckford|
RUNCIMAN of Earlston/Wanton Walls
|Last Edited||22 Feb 2006|
- Paul Richardson, "RICHARDSON, William of Eckford", Birth 1818 Jemima RICHARDSON.
- DC ROX, SCT: 1855 Film #103533, Dth 1855 John RICHARDSON.
- Jim RICHARDSON, "EM RICHARDSON Morebattle John & Elizabeth," e-mail to L McIntosh, from research of Jean RICHARDSON Edin 1960.
- ROX SCT, Birth certs Film #103389, Birth 1855 Ann DICKSON, extracted Feb 1998 (1855).
- FreeCensus, UK online at http://www.freecen.org.uk/, 1841 Eckford, SCT1841/787 ED 1 Folio 1 Page 8, extracted Sep 2005.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 1886 Jemima DICKSON nee RICHARDSON, Dist 803 Pg 4 #11, copy d/loaded Jan 2006.
- Jim RICHARDSON, "EM RICHARDSON Morebattle John & Elizabeth," e-mail to L McIntosh, Dth 1886 Jemima DICKSON nee RICHARDSON, extract rcvd Sep 2000.
- Paul Richardson, "RICHARDSON, William of Eckford."
- Borders FHS, MIs: ROX Morebattle, Entry #192, extracted Aug 2003, headstone erected by their children.
- 30 Mar 1851 census, Hounam, ROX, SCT, Entries #16 thru 18, Dist 3 entry #16, p/copy held.
- 30 Mar 1851 census, Hounam, ROX, SCT, Entries #16 thru 18, Dist 3 entry #17, p/copy held (on same page as Peter and Jane SINTON).
- Letter, S Keller (22625) to L McIntosh, Oct 2000 ex 1861 Census film #103909.
- 1881 Census transcripts, UK, via Family Search/LDS CDs, FHL Film 0224044 GRO Ref Volume 811 EnumDist 3 Page 8, extracted c 2000.
- DC ROX, SCT: 1855 Film #103533, Dth 23 Feb 1855 John RICHARDSON, Burnfoot, Par. of Linton, ROX.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 1873 Robert DICKSON, Dist 793 Pg 2 #4, copy d/loaded Jan 2006.
- Paul Richardson, "RICHARDSON, William of Eckford", had place as Morebattle.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Mar. cert 1872 Robert DICKSON/Elizabeth SMALL, trans. Stuart H Jul 2003.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1875 Elizabeth RICHARDSON nee SHEIL, transcr by Stuart H, rcvd Sep 2000.
- Jim RICHARDSON, "EM RICHARDSON Morebattle John & Elizabeth," e-mail to L McIntosh, 25 Sep 2000.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.