(from 1783 to 1788 - 20 January 1866)
|Father||Peter Sinton2 (say 1750 - cir. Oct 1811)|
|Mother||Janet Donaldson2 (say 1750 - bet. 1794 - 1855)|
|Relationship||3rd great-grandfather of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataPeter Sinton was born fr 1783 - 1788 Southdean, Par. of Southdean, ROX, SCT, Dth cert. implies 1783, 1841 census implies 1781 to 1786, 1851 census 1788, 1861 cenus 1786, take your pick, no baptismal entry found.2,3
Peter Sinton married Jeany Wight, daughter of James Wight and Isabella Hall, on 15 Aug 1806 Par. of Southdean, ROX, SCT, the entry reading: 'Peter Sinton on (sic) Jeany Wight both in this parish.4'
Peter Sinton died on 20 Jan 1866 Hounam, ROX, SCT; Dist ?? ref #1 reads: Peter Sinton, Farm steward, widower, died 1866 Jan 20th 10:40pm, Hounam, 83 yrs. Father Peter Sinton. Mother Janet Donaldson m.s. Donaldson. Disease of heart, bronchitis. Informant James Sinton, son.2 Peter was not indexed as buried in the Churchyard, Hounam, ROX, SCT, Jane's dth cert shows her as buried there, but she's not in the MI booklet. I've taken this to mean that there is no h/stone extant, if one ever existed, and also assume that Peter is buried there, again without a headstone.5,6
Census/Where lived/OccupationsPeter Sinton was a hind in Jul 1808 Ruletownhead, ROX, SCT.7
Peter appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 Hownam Mains, Hownam, ROX, SCT, with Jane Sinton, as SINTON: Peter 55, ag lab; Jane, 55; Elspeth, 20 ag lab; James, 15 ag lab; all b. cty. The next occupied household held James (33) and Agnes (30) Thomson (NB instructions to the enumerators for this census were to round ages to the nearest multiple of 5, children tended to have their ages accurately recorded - or at least as accurate as such things can be. These instructions were not always followed.)8
The census of 30 Mar 1851 showed Peter with his wife Jane, their dtr Isabella Hounam Mains, Hounam, ROX, SCT, nearby was Jemima Richardson household enumerated as SINTON: Peter, head, mar, 63, ag lab, b Southdean; wife Jane, 65, b Bowden; Dtr Isabella, unm, 40, b Southdean; Serv. William Fleming, unm, 38, b Dunse, BEW. (Only one entry separates Peter Sinton's household and that of Robert & Jemima Dickson nee Richardson.9)
Peter Sinton appeared on the census of Apr 1861 Chesterhouse, Hownam, ROX, SCT, enumerated as SINTON: Peter 'formerly a farm servant, 75 b Southdean; Isabella, dtr, unm, 50, b Southdean; Margaret grddtr, 12, born ENG.10
External linksClick here to see Peter's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.11
Peter Sinton belongs to a DNA tested line. There may be more information available on DNASurnames under the DNA project for his/her surname/line.
|Jane Wight (cir. 1783 - Sep 1858)|
My pedigree chart
Paternal ancestors of Lorna
Helen Sinton WIGHT's ancestors
|Last Edited||2 Dec 2020|
- Helen WIGHT nee SINTON (43), DC WIGHT, Helen, nee SINTON, 12 Jan 1883, Maxton, ROX.
- Peter SINTON (7782), DC Sinton, Peter 1866 Hounam, ROX, p/copy rcvd Sep 1994.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Sep 1994.
- Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Marr. 15 Aug 1806 Peter SINTON & Jeany WIGHT, Southdean, ROX, p/copy held, taken Sep 1994, scanned Oct 2015.
- Borders FHS, MIs: ROX Hounam & Linton, rechecked Dec 2003.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 7 Sep 1858 Jane SINTON d/o James WIGHT & Isabella HALL, Hounam Mains, Hounam, Dist 791 #4, transcr. Lorna, Sep 1995, p/copy held, scanned Oct 2015.
- Baptism Peter SINTON (11322): Southdean, ROX, SCT, p/copy held (14 Aug 1808), Dist 806.
- Census image, SCT, 1841 Census: Hounam Mains, ROX, SCT, hsehold of Peter & Jane SINTON, p/copy held.
- 30 Mar 1851 census, Hounam, ROX, SCT, Entries #16 thru 18, Dist 3 entry #16, p/copy held.
- CENSUS 1861: Borders ROX/BEW.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct 2011.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Apr 2008 updated Jul 2014, (Jane emigrated to Australia before the 1841 census, relationship based on naming pattern of children, age, place (she was at Dikeraw, Chesters when she married James Telfer, a place associated with SINTON descendant Janet MATHER nee SINTON from 1811 to at least the1840s) - and last but not least, by her resemblance to Helen (same chubby face).
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.