(say 1750 - circa October 1811)
|Father||James Sinton (say 1730 - cir. Jun 1802); relationship assumed from naming pattern, proximity, and as of Oct 2008, DNA matches between descendants of Peter and of John and Alison (Hall) Sinton2|
|Mother||?Margaret? UnknownSurname3 (say 1730 - bet. 1760 - 1762)|
|Relationship||4th great-grandfather of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataPeter Sinton was born say 1750 prob. at ?Bairnkine, Par. of Southdean, ROX, SCT, (from age of eldest known child.)
Peter Sinton married Janet Donaldson, daughter of ?John? Donaldson and ?Janet? UnknownSurname, say 1772 prob. in ?Southdean, ROX, SCT, (from age of eldest known child.)1
Peter Sinton died cir. Oct 1811 Bairnkine, Par. of Southdean, ROX, SCT; According to son Peter's death cert, he was still alive in 1866 (!), but given as deceased on dtr Janet's in 1855, NB I've changed the spelling from Bairnkin to that on the modern OS.1,4 He was buried on 23 Oct 1811 Abbotrule, Par. of Southdean, ROX, SCT, entry reads: "Peter Sinton cattle dealer Burnkin buried Abbotrule" (the immediately preceding entry was for his grddtr Agnes d/o James Maither of Dykeraw.)5
Census/Where lived/OccupationsBy 1773 Peter Sinton and Janet Sinton were living Southdean Mill, Par. of Southdean, ROX, SCT, (bap. of son James.)8
Peter Sinton was a cattle dealer according to: his own burial record, dtr Janet's and son James' death certs, and later in 1877, on dtr Cecilia's in 1855 presumed to be in ?ROX, SCT.9,10,11,12 He was a drover according to son Thomas' death cert in 1861 prob. in ?Southdean, ROX, SCT.13
NamesPeter Sinton was also known as Patrick (on the baptism records of sons John and James). It is my assumption that Peter and Patrick Sinton of the same area are one and the same person, especially as James is of about the right age to be the one married to Mgt Wilkie.2)
All the other infoI wonder how many more children will eventually be found for Peter and Janet? There are still quite a few gaps in there, eg between Peter and Isabella? This comment being prompted by the discovery of dtr Isabella in Jan 2008, when I received an email from a descendant, Bruce Riddell. Which made Isbaella the 2nd known dtr, and led me to posit that Isabella was the missing name of the first wife of James Snr?
(In Feb 2009 a daughter Margaret was found, and supplanted Isabella as James' first wife's possible name.)
In my review of my Sinton data, I also decided that the Patrick with sons James and John is actually my Peter, so have combined these two people in my database, James being the one married to Margaret Wilkie, and John possibly being the John in Northumberland married to Mary Wilson.14
External linksClick here to see Peter's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.15
Peter Sinton belongs to a DNA tested line. There may be more information available on DNASurnames under the DNA project for his/her surname/line.
|Janet Donaldson (say 1750 - bet. 1794 - 1855)|
My pedigree chart
Paternal ancestors of Lorna
Helen Sinton WIGHT's ancestors
|Last Edited||13 Dec 2021|
- Peter SINTON (7782), DC Sinton, Peter 1866 Hounam, ROX, p/copy rcvd Sep 1994.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Oct/Nov 2008.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Nov 2008, updated Feb 2009.
- BDM: Southdean & Abbotrule: Parish #806, Extract rcvd from Margaret STEELE.
- Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Bur. 23 Oct 1811 Peter SINTON, cattle dealer, Burnkin, bur. Abbotrule, from Southdean & Abbotrule OPR, copy d/loaded Nov 2008.
- BDM: Southdean & Abbotrule: Parish #806, Bur. 7 Jan 1809 Barbara SINTON/OLIVER, at Clesleepeel, Abbotrule, copy d/loaded Nov 2008.
- Ken Swanston, "EM FAIRBAIRN/SINTON ex Ken S," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, "Classleypeel", from http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/counties/countymaps25.html, rcvd Nov 2008.
- BDM: Southdean & Abbotrule: Parish #806, Bap. 28 Mar 1773 James s/o Patrick SINTON in Southdean Mill, copy d/loaded (same page as brother John, and at least one cousin) Nov 2008.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1855 Janet MATHER nee SINTON, trans. L McIntosh 1994/5.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Death cert. James SINTON 1855 trans. Stuart H. May 2002.
- Graham MAXWELL, "EM Borders: ex Graham M," e-mail to L Henderson(1), Dth 1877 Cecilia THOMSON nee SINTON, transcr. Graham, rcvd Feb 2004.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Bur. 23 Oct 1811 Peter SINTON, cattle dealer, Burnkin, bur. Abbotfule, from Southdean & Abbotrule OPR, copy d/loaded Nov 2008.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Death cert. Thomas SINTON 1861 trans. Stuart H. May 2002.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Jan 2008, updated Nov 2008, then Feb 2009.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct 2011.
- BDM: Southdean & Abbotrule: Parish #806, Bap. 24 Jul 1774 John s/o Patrick SINTON of Strangeburnfoot, copy d/loaded (same page as brother James and several cousins) Nov 2008.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 24 May 1869 Margaret ROBSON nee SINTON, Jedburgh, ROX Dist 792 pg 17 #51, copy d/loaded Feb 2009.
- Rita RIDDELL, "EM SINTON/ROBSON ex Bruce and Rita R," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Dth 18 Aug 1869 Isabella ROBSON nee SINTON, extract rcvd Jan 2008.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.