(circa 1795 - 30 July 1877)
|Father||Peter Sinton2 (say 1750 - cir. Oct 1811)|
|Mother||Janet Donaldson (say 1750 - bet. 1794 - 1855); only mother's forename known on Cecilia's dth cert, assumption is that the Janet married to a Peter is Janet Donaldson, especially as Peter's occupation is given as a cattle dealer2|
|Relationship||4th great-aunt of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataCecilia Sinton was born cir. 1795 Chesters, Par. of Southdean, ROX, SCT.3,2
Cecilia Sinton married William Thomson, son of George Thomson and Janet Jardine, bet. 1816 - 1829 ?Castleton, ROX, SCT.4,2
Cecilia Thomson died on 30 Jul 1877 Dykecrofts, Par. of Castleton, ROX, SCT; Dist. 784 #21 cert reads: 1877 Deaths in the Parish of Castleton in the County of Roxburgh Cecilia Thomson, Pauper, Widow of William Thomson, General Labourer died 1877 July Thirtieth; 6ho. 0m. P.M; Dykecrofts, Parish of Castleton; aged 83 years, d/o Peter Sinton, Cattle Dealer, deceased; Janet M.S. Unknown, deceased. Of apoplexy with Bronchitis; 3 Days; as cert. by Thos. C. Taylor, Surgeon, inf. son James Thomson, Present.2,5
Census/Where lived/OccupationsCelia Thomson and William Thomson appeared on the census of 1841 in the Village, Newcastleton, Par. of Castleton, ROX, SCT, and are assumed to be husband and wife. They were enumerated as THOMSON: William 45 ag lab; Celia 40; Jessie 32; James 30; all b ROX (FreeCen has Jessie as 12 and James as 10, which fits expected ages much better.)6,7 Cecilia Thomson appeared on the census of 30 Mar 1851 as wife of William Thomson Newcastleton, Par. of Castleton, ROX, SCT, enumerated as THOMSON: William Head, Married, 58, Labourer b Castleton, ROX; wife Cecilia 54,b Southdean, ROX.8
The census of 1861 showed Cecilia with her husband William Sth Hermitage St, Castleton, ROX, SCT, household enumerated as THOMPSON: William 71 labourer b Castleton; wife Cecilia 66 b Abbotsrule, ROX.9 Cecilia Thomson appeared on the census of 1871 as wife of William Thomson Castleton, ROX, enumerated as THOMPSON: William 80 b Castelton; wife Ceciliay 76 b Chesters, ROX.3
All the other infoCecilia outlived her husband William Thomson who died on 9 Dec 1872.10,8,2
|William Thomson (cir. Feb 1790 - Dec 1872)|
Ancestors & siblings of Les Henderson
|Last Edited||30 Apr 2008|
- Graham MAXWELL, "EM Borders: ex Graham M," e-mail to L Henderson(1), rcvd via Mgt JENKIN, Jan 2004.
- Graham MAXWELL, "EM Borders: ex Graham M," e-mail to L Henderson(1), Dth 1877 Cecilia THOMSON nee SINTON, transcr. Graham, rcvd Feb 2004.
- 1871 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, Via Ancestry.com, Castleton, ROX Reg 784 ED 11 Pg 12 Sched 49 hsehold of William & Ceciliay THOMPSON, extracted Aug 2007.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), THOMSON/SINTON, batch C117844, extracted Jan 2004.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, SINTON dth index download.
- 1841 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, Castleton, ROX Par 784 ED 14, hsehold of William & Celia THOMSON, extracted Aug 2007.
- FreeCensus, UK online at http://www.freecen.org.uk/, 1841 Castleton, ROX SCT1841/784 ED 14 Folio 14 Pg 9, hsehold of William & Celia THOMSON, extracted Aug 2007.
- Graham MAXWELL, "EM Borders: ex Graham M," e-mail to L Henderson(1), 1851 Census Castleton Parish, Book 11, Page 15, rcvd Feb 2004.
- 1861 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, via Ancestry.com, Castleton, ROX Reg 784 ED 11 Pg 10 Sched 63, hsehold of William & Cecila THOMPSON, extracted Aug 2007.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 1872 William THOMSON, reg. Castleton, ROX, Dist 784 Pg 11 #32, copy d/loaded Aug 2007.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.