(4 June 1806 - 3 November 1854)
|Father||James Sinton1 (cir. Jan 1772 - )|
|Mother||Barbary Oliver1 (say 1780 - cir. Jan 1809)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 5 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataJohn Sinton was born on 4 Jun 1806 Clesleepeel, Par. of Southdean, ROX, SCT, "son to Jas Sinton Clesleepeel", or at least it is my assumption that this is the right birth. Certainly it is the right timeframe, and in 1851 John said he was born Southdean, and was resident there when he married Alison in 1829. This is the best fit I've found to date, even though "son" isn't necessarily "John". Some weight is added to the identification in that at least one child has Oliver as a middle name.2,3
John Sinton married Alison Hall, daughter of John Hall and Betty Briggs, on 30 Oct 1829 Southdean, Par. of Southdean, ROX, SCT, John of Southdean, Alice of Jedburgh (igi only has the Jedburgh entry for John and "Alison.")4,5
John Sinton died on 3 Nov 1854 Arling House, ARL, SCT; 47, and unfortunately a few months short of civil registration in Scotland for us to fully confirm his parents!6 He was buried with Alison Hall Eckford, ROX, SCT, #53 EIMO John Sinton who died at Arling House Argyleshire 3.11.1854 aged 47 years also his wife Alison Hall who died at Bowmont Forest 10.3.1866 aged 58 years.6
Census/Where lived/OccupationsIn Oct 1829 John was living Southdean, Par. of Southdean, ROX, SCT, (when he married Alison.)10
John Sinton and Alice Sinton appeared on the census of 1841 Highgate, Linthaugh Old Rd, Jedburgh, Par. of Jedburgh, ROX, SCT, and are assumed to be husband and wife. They were enumerated as SINTON: John, 35, ag. lab. Alison, 35 (assumed to be wife). Children (assumed): Robert, 9; John, 7; William, 5; Betsy 2. John FORSYTH 30 ag lab b ROX.11,12,13
The census of 1851 showed John with his wife Alison, their sons John, William and James, their dtr Elizabeth Portnacroish, Lismore & Appin, ARL, SCT, household enumerated as SINTON: John 44 wood forrester b Sthdean, ROX; wife Alison (indexed as Alieen) 42 b Oxnam, ROX; Children: John 17 farm lab b Jedburgh; William 15, Betsy 13 both scholars b Jedburgh; James Oliver 2 b Jedburgh.3
All the other infoJohn Sinton marr. to Alison Hall was initially considered, and subsequently rejected, as a potential duplicate of John Sinton s/o James & Margaret (Wilkie) Sinton. However the latter John is shown as living in 1855 on parent's dth cert but the former died 1854, and states he was of Southdean, not of Bowden.14
External linksJohn Sinton belongs to a DNA tested line. There may be more information available on DNASurnames under the DNA project for his/her surname/line.
|Alison Hall (May 1808 - Mar 1866)|
|Last Edited||29 May 2014|
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Oct 2008.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Birth 4 Jun 1806 son to Jas SINTON, Clesleepeel, from Southdean & Abbotrule, OPR Dist 806/0010 0029, copy d/loaded Oct 2008.
- 1851 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, via Ancestry.com, Lismore & Appin, ARL Par. 525 ED 11 Pg 6 Sched 23, hsehold of John & Alison SINTON, extracted Feb 2007.
- BDM: Southdean & Abbotrule: Parish #806, Marr. 30 oct 1829 John SINTON & Alice HALL, rcvd from Mgt STEELE.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Marr. 30 Oct 1829 John SINTON & Alison HALL, batch M117928, Jedburgh, ROX, extracted Nov 2008.
- Borders FHS, MIs: ROX Eckford, Rechecked Oct 2007.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Oct/Nov 2008.
- BDM: Southdean & Abbotrule: Parish #806, Bur. 7 Jan 1809 Barbara SINTON/OLIVER, at Clesleepeel, Abbotrule, copy d/loaded Nov 2008.
- Ken Swanston, "EM FAIRBAIRN/SINTON ex Ken S," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, "Classleypeel", from http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/counties/countymaps25.html, rcvd Nov 2008.
- BDM: Southdean & Abbotrule: Parish #806, Mar. 1829 John SINTON and Alison HALL.
- 1841 Census, Borders, SCT, LDS Film.
- FreeCensus, UK online at http://www.freecen.org.uk/, 1841 Jedburgh, ROX SCT1841/792 ED 4 Folio 4 Page 7, hsehold of John & Alice SINTON, rechecked Sep 2005.
- 1841 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, Linthaugh, Jedburgh, ROX Par 792 ED 4A Pg 7, hsehold of John & Alison SINTON (indexed ancestry as LINTON), rechecked Nov 2009.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Sep 2005, updated Oct 2008.
- Margaret JENKIN, "EM SINTON/SYMINGTON ex JENKIN," e-mail to L McIntosh, Jun 2002 ex British Vital Records CD 2nd Edition.
- 1871 Census, ENG, Ancestry: Kirkleatham, YKS Dist 11 RG10/4856 Folio 45 Page 2 Schedule #4, copy d/loaded Sep 2005.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.