(say 1755 - )
|Relationship||4th great-grandfather of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataJames Wight was born say 1755 ?Bowden, ROX, SCT.2,1
James Wight married Isabella Hall, daughter of William Hall and Jane Stevenson, on 13 Mar 1779 Par. of Ednam, ROX, SCT, entry dated 14 Feb 1779 reads: James Wight in the Parish of Bowdean (sic) and Isabel Hall in this parish gave up their names in order to proclaimation for marriage consigned one shilling to the poor John Weir Schoolmaster in Ednam their cautioner and married the 13th March 1779. I have assumed this is the correct James Wight, purely because he was of Bowden, which is where dtr Jane was supposedly born, although there are 2 other candidate couples of the same names and time frames.3,4,5,2,1
Census/Where lived/OccupationsIn Mar 1779 James Wight was living in the Par. of Bowden, ROX, SCT, (spelt Bowdean in the entry) when he married Isabella.7 He was a joiner Morebattle, ROX, SCT, in 1816 according to his h/stone.1 In Apr 1869 James Wight was described as a carpenter, dec., when dtr Isabella died (ditto when son James died in 1878.)8
All the other infoJames Wight is mentioned on the h/stone of William Hall and Jane Stevenson Hounam, ROX, SCT, H/stone reads: IMO William Hall, who died at Morebattle 17.3.1817 aged 82 yrs, also Jane Stevenson his spouse who died 4.1.1825 aged 82 yrs. also Isabella Hall their daughter spouse to James Wight joiner Morebattle who died ?. 7.1816 aged ? yrs. James Hall their son who died 8.11.1821 aged 16 yrs (assumed to be son of James Wight and Isabella Hall given his age, with Hall being a forename. Possibly the transcription is a tad wrong and James is Isabella's brother, eg his age might be 46? I have concluded, for now that his name is James Hall Wight but this gives me another problem in that I already have them with a son James born c 1805, but dying in 1878. More work needed.)1,9,10
External linksClick here to see James's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.11
|Isabella Hall (say 1758 - Jul 1816)|
|Charts||My pedigree chart|
Ancestors & siblings of Les Henderson
Paternal ancestors of Lorna
Helen Sinton WIGHT's ancestors
|Last Edited||5 Jul 2016|
- Borders FHS, MIs: ROX Hounam & Linton, Entry #50: HALL/STEVENSON burials.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 7 Sep 1858 Jane SINTON d/o James WIGHT & Isabella HALL, Hounam Mains, Hounam, Dist 791 #4, transcr. Lorna, Sep 1995, p/copy held, scanned Oct 2015.
- H D W (15319), "Borders Corres. ex H D W," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Marr. proclamation, Feb 1779 Ednam OPR (Dist 788), p/copy rcvd May 2005.
- WIGHT, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Marr. 1779 Isabella HALL and James WIGHT, batch M117882, extracted c 1993, rechecked Jan 2006.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Jan 2006.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Nov 2008.
- H D W (15319), "Borders Corres. ex H D W," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Mar. proclamation, Feb 1779 Ednam OPR (Dist 788), p/copy rcvd May 2005.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 1869 Isabella WHITE nee WIGHT, Dist 691 Pg 11 #33, copy d/loaded Jan 2006.
- Various Photograph(s), Various, unknown repository, H/stone Hounam Churchyard, (William HALL, Jane STEVENSON, Isabella WIGHT, James Hall WIGHT, taken Jul 2006.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Apr 2008.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct 2011.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 2 Mar 1858 Margaret MOWAT nee WIGHT, reg. Earlston, BEW, Dist 736 Pg 3 #7, copy d/loaded Apr 2008.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Aug 2007.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1878 James WIGHT, copy d/loaded May 2005.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.