(circa 1783 - 7 September 1858)
|Father||James Wight2 (say 1755 - )|
|Mother||Isabella Hall2 (say 1758 - Jul 1816)|
|Relationship||3rd great-grandmother of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataJane Wight was born cir. 1783 Bowden, ROX, SCT, this date being derived from her dth cert. and the place from the 1851 census, which implied a date 3 yrs later. My readings of the Bowden OPRs didn't conclusively find Jane. There was a Jean, dtr of a James Wight and Isabella Hall, baptised in 1779, but this is getting a bit early from other known dates, and is probably one of the other James Wight/Isabella Hall couples. That Jean appeared to have a sister Janet born/chr in 1787, a tad later than expected, so it is all very tantalising and confusing.3,2,4
Jeany Wight married Peter Sinton, son of Peter Sinton and Janet Donaldson, on 15 Aug 1806 in the Par. of Southdean, ROX, SCT, the entry reading: 'Peter Sinton on (sic) Jeany Wight both in this parish.5'
Jane Sinton died on 7 Sep 1858 Hounam Mains, Hounam, ROX, SCT; cert Dist 791 #4, (other surname Hall) reads: Jane Sinton, married, died 7th Sep 1858 10:30am Hounam Mains, aged 75, d/o James Wight and Isabella m.s. Hall, buried Churchyard Hounam, inf James Sinton son (no cause or father's occupation listed.)1,2 Jane was not indexed as buried in the Churchyard, Hounam, ROX, SCT, Jane's dth cert shows her as buried there, but she's not in the MI booklet. I've taken this to mean that there is no h/stone extant, if one ever existed, and also assume that Peter is buried there, again without a headstone.6,2
Census/Where lived/OccupationsJane appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 Hownam Mains, Hownam, ROX, SCT, with Peter Sinton, as SINTON: Peter 55, ag lab; Jane, 55; Elspeth, 20 ag lab; James, 15 ag lab; all b. cty. The next occupied household held James (33) and Agnes (30) Thomson (NB instructions to the enumerators for this census were to round ages to the nearest multiple of 5, children tended to have their ages accurately recorded - or at least as accurate as such things can be. These instructions were not always followed.)7
The census of 30 Mar 1851 showed Jane with her husband Peter, their dtr Isabella Hounam Mains, Hounam, ROX, SCT, nearby was Jemima Richardson household enumerated as SINTON: Peter, head, mar, 63, ag lab, b Southdean; wife Jane, 65, b Bowden; Dtr Isabella, unm, 40, b Southdean; Serv. William Fleming, unm, 38, b Dunse, BEW. (Only one entry separates Peter Sinton's household and that of Robert & Jemima Dickson nee Richardson.3)
NamesJane Wight has also been shown (incorrectly) in records as Helen Wight as Jane's son-in-law Walter Wight erroneously gave his wife's mother's name as Helen on her death cert instead of Jane.8 Jane was also known as Janet and Jeany.5
External linksClick here to see Jane's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.9
|Peter Sinton (fr 1783 - 1788 - Jan 1866)|
My pedigree chart
Ancestors & siblings of Les Henderson
Paternal ancestors of Lorna
Helen Sinton WIGHT's ancestors
|Last Edited||21 Feb 2016|
- Births deaths marriages index: Scotland 1855+, Dth 1858 Jane WIGHT, other name HALL, extracted from index Sep 1995 , http://scotlandspeople.gov.uk
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 7 Sep 1858 Jane SINTON d/o James WIGHT & Isabella HALL, Hounam Mains, Hounam, Dist 791 #4, transcr. Lorna, Sep 1995, p/copy held, scanned Oct 2015.
- 30 Mar 1851 census, Hounam, ROX, SCT, Entries #16 thru 18, Dist 3 entry #16, p/copy held.
- Cash book and Kirk Sessions Baptisms: Bowden, ROX, SCT, Extracted Feb 1998 , Film 1067932.
- Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Marr. 15 Aug 1806 Peter SINTON & Jeany WIGHT, Southdean, ROX, p/copy held, taken Sep 1994, scanned Oct 2015.
- Borders FHS, MIs: ROX Hounam & Linton, rechecked Dec 2003.
- 7 Jun 1841 Census, Hounam Mains, ROX, SCT, p/copy held.
- Helen WIGHT nee SINTON (43), DC WIGHT, Helen, nee SINTON, 12 Jan 1883, Maxton, ROX.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct 2011.
- Baptism Peter SINTON (11322): Southdean, ROX, SCT, p/copy held (14 Aug 1808), Dist 806.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Apr 2008 updated Jul 2014.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.