(23 August 1796 - 21 November 1825)
|Father||William Wight1 (Nov 1767 - Sep 1847)|
|Mother||Elizabeth Richardson1 (May 1773 - Jun 1831)|
|Relationship||3rd great-uncle of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataJames Wight was born on 23 Aug 1796 Maxton, ROX, SCT.1 He was baptized on 11 Sep 1796 Maxton, Roxburghshire; Entry reads: William Wight carrier in Maxton, and his wife Elisabeth Richardson had a child born 23rd Aug and baptized Sep 11th 1796 called James.1
James Wight married Lidia Aitken, daughter of George Aitken, on 30 Jun 1820 Edinburgh St Cuthberts, MLN, SCT, entry in the Register of Proclamations reads: James Wight Smith ?Sun hall? & Liddia Aitken, daughter of the late James Aitken, residing ?Tynecastle? Toll, that they are unmarried persons and not within the forbidden degrees of consanguinity, and have resided in this Parish for the space of six weeks previous to the above date (30 Jun 1820) is certified by William Moffat Elder as per certificate.2,3,4
James Wight died on 21 Nov 1825 Tynecastle Toll, Edinburgh St Cuthberts, MLN, SCT, at age 29; entry shows James Weight as 29, resid. Tyne Castle Toll, cod inflamn, this address being that given by Lidia when they married in 1820.5
Census/Where lived/OccupationsJames Wight was blacksmith cir. 1820 ?Edinburgh, MLN, SCT.4
NamesIn 1825 his surname was recorded as Weight.8
All the other infoJames Wight was considered as a potential duplicate of James Wight, but this has been discounted; the James Wight, mason in Denholm, married to Janet Tait is shown on at least one Rootsweb World Connect tree as belonging to William and Elizabeth, but that isn't true. That James died in 1861 and his death cert shows him as the s/o Walter Wight and Christian Turnbull. There may well be a connection further back, but I've not yet found it.9,10,11
|Lidia Aitken (cir. 1799 - Jul 1861)|
|Charts||William RICHARDSON of Pringlestead, Eckford|
RUNCIMAN of Earlston/Wanton Walls
James WIGHT/Lydia AITKEN
Ancestors & siblings of Les Henderson
|Last Edited||2 Jan 2019|
- Births baptisms burials: Maxton, ROX (Dist 798), Bap 1796 James WIGHT, p/copy taken Sep/Oct 1994/5 held.
- Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Marr. 30 Jun 1820 James WIGHT (smith, ?Lunhall?) & Liddia (Tyncastle Toll) d/o late James AITKEN, Edinburgh St Cuthberts, MLN, 685/02 0400 0167, copy d/loaded Jul 2016.
- Letter, Sue PORTER (30297) to L McIntosh (1), Marr. 30 Jun 1820 James WIGHT & Lidia AITKEN, St Cuthberts, Edinburgh (but had father as George?).
- Letter, Sue PORTER (30297) to L McIntosh (1).
- Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 21 Nov 1825 James WEIGHT, age 29, of inflammn, Edinburgh St Cuthberts, MLN 685/2 490 208, copy rcvd from HDW Jan 2019.
- DNA matches/info ex Ancestry.com online at http://dna.ancestry.com, DNA matches to descendant of James WIGHT marr. Lydia AITKEN between: two descendants of Walter WIGHT, James' brother, and one descendant of their sister Isabella, rcvd Dec 2017.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Updated Oct 2018.
- Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 21 Niv 1825 James WEIGHT, age 29, of influenze, Edinburgh St Cuthberts, MLN 685/2 490 208, copy rcvd from HDW Jan 2019.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Nov 2007.
- Www Rootsweb online at http://wc.rootsweb.com/, WC tree, db "lomaldor" of Catherine Mullen, last updated Oct 2007, extracted Nov 2007.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 1861 James WIGHT, reg. Cavers ROX Dist 785 Pg 11 #31, copy d/loaded Jul 2007.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 7 Apr 1900 James s/o James WIGHT & Lydia AITKEN, wid./o Beatrice DOUGLAS, reg. Dist of St George, City of Edinburgh, MLN, 685/01 #499, copy d/loaded Jul 2016.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.