(5 September 1805 - 16 October 1871)
|Father||William Wight1,2 (Nov 1767 - Sep 1847)|
|Mother||Elizabeth Richardson1,2 (May 1773 - Jun 1831)|
|Relationship||3rd great-aunt of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataIsabella Wight was born on 5 Sep 1805 Maxton, ROX, SCT, Entry reads: "William Wight, carrier in Maxton, and his wife Elizabeth Richardson, had a child born September the 5th 1805 years called Isabel."2,3
Isabella Wight married Robert Stephenson, son of Hugh Eskew Stephenson and Alison Moffat, in Jun 1833 Maxton/Mertoun, ROX/BEW, SCT, 2 Jun Maxton, 7 Jun Mertoun.4
Isabella Wight died on 16 Oct 1871 Darnick, Par. of Melrose, ROX, SCT, at age 66; Dist of Melrose, # 51: cert reads: Isabella STEPHENSON, widow or Robert STEPHENSON, joiner, died 16th Oct 1871 3am at Darnick, Parish of Melrose, aged 65, d/o William WIGHT, carrier, dec and Elizabeth m.s. RICHARDSON dec, of acute pneumonia 5 days and acute peritonitis 4 days, cert. by John MEIKLE, inf. William STEPHENSON, son, present. Reg. 16th Oct at Melrose.5,1 She was buried with Robert Stephenson in the Churchyard, Melrose Abbey, ROX, SCT, #60: Broken stone on ground. Erected by their children in affectionate remembrance of ROBERT STEVENSON who died 30.12. 1862 aged 57 years and ISABELLA WIGHT his wife who died at Eilistone.? 16.10.1871 aged 66 years.6,7
Census/Where lived/OccupationsIsabella Stephenson appeared on the census of 1841 Blue Houses, Par. of Mertoun, BEW, SCT, with Robert Stephenson, enumerated as STEPHENSON: Robert a 34 yr old carpenter and Isabella 33 (really 36), neither born in BEW; Three children, all born BEW: Hugh 7; Elizabeth 4; Alison 2.
"There seem to be just two cottages, with Joseph Middlemest living in the other one. Immediately preceded in the census by Dryburgh, and followed by Wallace's Lodge, then Bemersyde"8.8,9
The census of 1851 showed Isabella with her husband Robert, their sons William and Thomas, their dtr Alice on the Littledean Farm Hse, Estate of Littledean & Ploughlands, Par. of Maxton, ROX, SCT, household enumerated as STEPHENSON: Robert 44 joiner b Melrose, ROX; wife Isabella 44 b Maxton; Alice 11, William 9 scholar, both b Mertoun, BEW; Thomas 3 b Maxton.10
Isabella Stephenson appeared on the census of 1861 as wife of Robert Stephenson Darnick, Par. of Melrose, ROX, SCT, enumerated as STEPHENSON: Robert 50 carpenter b Melrose; wife Isabella 50 b Maxton; Children: Alison 21 b Mertoun, BEW; Thomas 13 scholar b Maxton; Grddtr Isabella 1 b Melrose;41069.11
Isabella Stevenson appeared on the census of 1871 Melrose, ROX, SCT, enumerated as STEVENSON: Isabella 63 b Maxton; Grddtr Isabella H STEVENSON 11 scholar b Melrose.12
NamesHer surname was recorded as Weight (baptism.)13
|Robert Stephenson (cir. Jul 1805 - Dec 1863)|
|Charts||William RICHARDSON of Pringlestead, Eckford|
RUNCIMAN of Earlston/Wanton Walls
Ancestors & siblings of Les Henderson
|Last Edited||26 Sep 2011|
- Julie GARVIE (35496), "Borders names ex Julie G," e-mail to L McIntosh (1), Dth 1871 Isabella STPEHENSON nee WIGHT, copy rcvd Oct 2003.
- Births baptisms burials: Maxton, ROX (Dist 798), Baptism 1805 Isabel WIGHT, p/copy held, taken Sep/Oct 1994/5.
- H D W (15319), "Borders Corres. ex H D W," e-mail to L Henderson (1), "In Search of Stephensons", published Winter 1985 in "The Journal of the Northumberland & Durham Family History Society", rcvd Mar 1996.
- Letter, Bob WILCOX to Lorna Henderson, Dec 1995.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 16 Oct 1871 Isabella STEPHENSON nee WIGHT.
- H D W (15319), "Borders Corres. ex H D W," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Rcvd Mar 2007.
- BFHS, MIs: Melrose Abbey, H/stone #60 Robert STEVENSON & Isabella WIGHT, extracted Sep 2011.
- Harry D Watson, "WIGHT, Isabella: Familia article Vol 2 #4 1988", From guestbook of Maxton Parish Website, extracted Oct 2003.
- H D W (15319), "Borders Corres. ex H D W," e-mail to L Henderson (1), 1841 census, Mertoun, BEW, rcvd Aug 2005.
- 1851 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, via Ancestry.com, Littledean & Ploughlands, Par. of Maxton ROX Par 798 ED 1 Pg 14 Sched 49, hsehold of Robert & Isabella STEPHENSON, extracted Mar 2008.
- 1861 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Darnick, Melrose, ROX 799/1 ED 3 Sched 57, hsehold of Robert & Isabella STEPHENSON, extracted Sep 2011.
- 1871 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Melrose, ROX 799/1 ED 3 Sched 33, hsehold of Isabella STEVENSON, extracted Sep 2011.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Bap. 1837 Elizabeth STEPHENSON, batch C117514, extracted Aug 2005.
- H D W (15319), "Borders Corres. ex H D W," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Rcvd Aug 2005.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.