(circa March 1793 - 8 October 1876)
|Father||David Runciman2,3,4 (cir. Oct 1751 - Jan 1825)|
|Mother||Janet Lockie (cir. 1757 - Sep 1830)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 5 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataElisabeth Runciman was born cir. Mar 1793 Earlston, BEW, SCT.4 She was christened on 3 Mar 1793 at Earlston, Berwickshire; the IGI only showing the father's name (as do most entries in this parish.)5,4
Elisabeth Runciman died on 8 Oct 1876 reg. Earlston, BEW, SCT; aged 83.6,7
Census/Where lived/OccupationsElisabeth Runciman appeared on the census of 1841 Snowden, Par. of Lauder, BEW, SCT, in the household of John Runciman and is assumed to be a sister.8 Elisabeth Runciman appeared on the census of 1851 Earlstown, Par. of Earlston, BEW, SCT, in the household of John Runciman as sister of John.9 Elisabeth Runciman appeared on the census of 1861 No. 97, Earlston, BEW, SCT, in the household of John Runciman as sister of John.10 Elisabeth Runciman appeared on the census of 1871 Main St (118), Earlston, BEW, SCT, in the household of John Runciman as sister of John.11
Wills/bequestsElisabeth Runciman was a beneficiary of the 21 Jan 1832 will of George Newton.12
Elisabeth Runciman are all mentioned in the Inventory of James Runciman on 23 Feb 1872 Lauder, Par. of Lauder, BEW, SCT.13
All the other infoI just had to include Betty in my web pages as the photo her great great nephew David sent me is so wonderful. Can't you just imagine her and her sister living into a ripe old age together?14 A heritable bond was granted by John Runciman Wantonwalls, Par. of Lauder, BEW, SCT, on 29 Jul 1831 to Elisabeth Runciman "for £500 over a dwelling house in Earlston yard thereof and little park, together with the big park thrown into one and the Yonder croft in the Parish of Earlston."13 In Nov 1831 Elisabeth Runciman at Wanton Walls was served as heir to George Newton feuar in Kelso ROX, SCT, along with John Runciman, William Runciman, James Runciman, David Runciman and Isabella Runciman.2,15
Elisabeth Runciman are buried with their parents David Runciman and Janet Lockie Earlston, BEW, SCT; h/stone #498 reading: Sacred to the memory of David Runciman farmer at Wantonwalls and portioner in Earlston who died 16.1.1825 in the 73rd yr of his age and of Janet Lockie his spouse who died 25.9.1830 also in her 73rd year. Isabella Runciman their dtr died 25.9.1866 Elizabeth Runciman their dtr died 8.10.1876 John Runciman their son who died 9.2.1877 aged 90 yrs.3
External linksClick here to see Elisabeth's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.16
|Charts||RUNCIMAN of Earlston/Wanton Walls|
|Last Edited||6 Feb 2016|
- Borders FHS, MIs: BEW Earlston - extracts, Jan 2000.
- RUNCIMAN Misc. web searches & correspondence Services of Heirs, Roxburghshire. 1636-1847: Trust Disposition to George Newton, feuar in Kelso, extracted Sep 2005, (which supplements the original information from Harry W, the transcript of which did not include the "lawfull children of the deceased David RUNCIMAN, tenant in Wantonwalls").
- Borders FHS, MIs: BEW: Earlston - book, H/stone (#498 p71) David RUNCIMAN and Janet LOCKIE and family, re-checked Sep 2005.
- Births deaths marriages index (pre 1855): Scotland, RUNCIMAN births 1700 to 1820 Earlston, BEW, index searched Oct 2005 , Microfiche and http://scotlandspeople.gov.uk
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), RUNCIMAN baptisms, batch C117362, extracted Sep 2005.
- Borders FHS, MIs: BEW Earlston - extracts.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 1876 Elizabeth RUNCIMAN, aged 83, reg. Earlston, index searched May 2007.
- 1841 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Lauder, BEW Reg. 748 ED 5, hsehold of John RUNCIMAN, extracted May 2007.
- 1851 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Earlstown, Par. of Earlston, BEW Par. 736 ED 1 Pg 8 Sched 26, hsehold of John RUNCIMAN, extracted May 2007.
- 1861 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Earlston, Par. of Earlston, BEW REg. 736 ED 1 Pg 30 Sched 178, hsehold of John RUNCIMAN, extracted May 2007.
- Census image, SCT, 1871 Census: Earlston Dist 736 (ED1?) Page 50 Schedule 234, copy d/loaded Sep 2005.
- H D W, "RUNCIMAN Correspondence," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Register of Sasines, Jan 1832, John LOCKIE, served heir to Andrew LOCKIE, trustee for George NEWTON, rcvd Feb 1996, scanned copy rcvd Apr 2009.
- Will: RUNCIMAN, James 1858, 1867, 1872 (Will written Jun 1858 codicil Dec 1867 Inventory 23 Feb 1872 proved 8 Mar 1872) SC60/41/24 (27 pp) & SC60/44/6 (2pp): Copy d/loaded Sep 2005, (SC60/41/24 dated 23rd Feb 1872 detailed inventory, and Trust Dispostion & Settlement of 8th Jun 1858 and codicil 27 Dec 1867 - 27pp in all)
(SC60/44/6 dated 8th March 1872 confirmed appointment of executors).
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", May 2007.
- H D W, "RUNCIMAN Correspondence," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Service of Heirs Nov 1831 George NEWTON, feuar in Kelso, extract originally rcvd Feb 1996, scanned copy of same rcvd Apr 2009.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct 2011.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.