(26 November 1855 - 13 July 1874)
|Father||Robert Sinton1,2 (cir. 1813 - Oct 1877)|
|Mother||Jane Park1,2 (cir. 1816 - Sep 1896)|
|Relationship||2nd cousin 3 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataPeter Sinton was born on 26 Nov 1855 Raelees, Par. of Selkirk, SEL, SCT, Dist 778/2 #31 registered Selkirk Landward: s/o Robert Sinton ag lab, aged 41, Clarilelaw Muir, Par. of Bowden and Jane ms Park, 38, this her 8th child; married 1837 Lilliesleaf, 4 boys and 4 girls living.3,2
Peter Sinton died on 13 Jul 1874 Curror St, Selkirk, SEL, SCT, at age 18; this dth cert showing him as "Robert" aged 18, a railway engine fireman, dying at 9am of malignant scarlett fever of 3 days duration, s/o Robert Sinton, factory labourer and Jane m.s. Park, inf. father Robert (if he was indeed Robert and not Peter, he should be 21, as Robert was given as 18 3 yrs previously in the 1871 census, and he cannot have died in 1874 in Selkirk if he married in 1879 in New Zealand. As I have not found any further evidence of Peter's existance beyond 1871 in Scotland, and Robert did marry in NZ in 1879, I am working on the theory that father Robert recorded the death of the wrong son.)4,5
Census/Where lived/OccupationsPeter Sinton appeared on the census of 1861 in a Private Hse, Raelees, SEL, SCT, in the household of Robert Sinton and Jane Sinton as son of Robert.6,7
The census of 1871 showed Joseph, Robert, Peter, John and William in the household of their parents Robert and Jane Park Hartwoodburn, Par. of Selkirk, SEL, SCT, enumerated as SINTON: Robt, 55 ag lab b Bowden, ROX; wife Jane 55 b Selkirk, SEL; Children (all b Selkirk, SEL: Joseph 24 blacksmith; Robt 18 ag lab; Peter 15 mill worker; John 13 millworker; William 10 scholar; Grdson: James 7 scholar b Selkirk, SEL.8
|Last Edited||21 Oct 2005|
- Margaret JENKIN, "EM SINTON/SYMINGTON ex JENKIN," e-mail to L McIntosh, Jul 2001 ex Norma SINTON & Selkirk OPR.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Birth 1855 Peter SINTON, trans. Stuart H rcvd July 2001.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Birth index.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1874 Robert SINTON, transcr rcvd from Stuart H, Sep 2005 (and copy then down loaded).
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Sep 2005.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, 1861 Census: Selkirk Landward, Dist 778 (ED11?) Pages 3 & 4 Schedule #14, copy d/loaded Oct 2005.
- Margaret JENKIN, "EM SINTON/SYMINGTON ex JENKIN," e-mail to L McIntosh, Jul 2001 ex 1861 census.
- Census image, SCT, 1871 Census SEL, SCT Dist 778 - 009 - 000 - 2, Page 2 Schedule #9, copy d/loaded May 2005.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.