(circa 1847 - 3 July 1870)
|Father||Robert Slater2,3,4 (cir. 1813 - May 1879)|
|Mother||Elspeth Sinton2,3,5 (cir. 1817 - Mar 1880)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 3 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataPeter Slater was born cir. 1847 Maxton, ROX, SCT.6
Peter Slater married Catherine Ross, daughter of Angus Ross and Margaret McDonald, on 9 Nov 1866 33 Abbotsford Pl, Tradeston, Glasgow, LKS, SCT, exact datefrom igi, confirmed by mar. cert which provides place detail: Dist 664/9 #478 where Peter Slater is described as a journeyman tailor, single, 20, s/o Robert Slater, salmon fisher and Elspeth m.s. Sinton, and new wife Catherine Ross as a dom. serv, single, 22, d/o Angus Ross, farmer and Margaret m.s. McDonald. Both were given as living 10 Crawford St, Glasgow. Wit: Thomas ?at?? (assumed to be Thomas Slater, brother of Peter) and Elizabeth Manderson.7,3,4,8
Peter Slater died on 3 Jul 1870 Lessudden / St Boswells, Par. of St Boswells, ROX, SCT; less than 3 wks after son Robert and only 4 mths before youngest son born. Cert reads: Peter Slater 3 Jul 1870 2:20 pm aged 23 (NB h/stone transcript says 24) at Lessuden, St Boswells. Occupation tailor, s/o Robert Slater, fisherman and Euphemia m.s. Sinton of pthisis of some mths duration. Mar. to Catherine Ross. Inf. Catherine Ross, wife, her mark. (Two separate transcriptions, which have been rechecked, have given 1870 as the date for this death, which contradicts h/stone, and the information that he was the informant for his son's death in Jun 1871, I have to therefore assume the h/stone is incorrect, as is the date of dth for son Robert, assuming 1870 for the latter.)3,9,10
Census/Where lived/OccupationsPeter Slater appeared on the census of 30 Mar 1851 Village, Maxton, Par. of Maxton, ROX, SCT, in the household of Robert Slater and Euphemia Slater.11 Peter Slater appeared on the census of 1861 Lessudden / St Boswells, Par. of St Boswells, ROX, SCT, in the household of Robert Slater and Elspeth Sinton as son of Robert.6,12 Peter Slater was a tailors apprentice in 1861 Lessudden / St Boswells, Par. of St Boswells, ROX.6 He was a journeyman tailor when dtr Margaret born (Oct 1866), and also when married in Nov 1866 10 Crawford St, Glasgow, LKS, SCT.4 By Oct 1870 at Lessudden / St Boswells, Par. of St Boswells, ROX, Peter Slater was shown as a master tailor on birth of son Peter.7
All the other infoPeter Slater was commemorated with James Slater and Margaret Turnbull Maxton, ROX, SCT; H/stone #130 reads: "IMO James Slater who d. at Ploughland 18.1.1865 aged 76 yrs Margaret Turnbull w/o James Slater who d. at Maxton toll 25.12.1855 aged 67 yrs also Robert Slater son of Robert Slater who was drowned in the River Tweed 8.5.1857 aged 7 yrs and 9 mths also of Peter Slater his son who d 3.7.1871 aged 24 yrs" Next door grave is that of James/Margaret's son Robert Slater and his wife Elspeth/Euphemia Sinton.10 A brief timeline for this family shows a traumatic few years. Starting with the birth of dtr Margaret, nearly a month shy of their marriage in Nov 1866, followed by the births two years apart in 1868 and 1870 of two sons the family was complete. Tragedy seems to have struck early however as the eldest son, Robert, died Jun 1870 aged 2½ of tuberculosis which he had contracted a year earlier. Father Peter died, also of tuberculosis, a few weeks later in Jul 1870. This was 4 mths before the birth of their last son, Peter. Widow Catherine only outlived her husband by a few short years, dying of bronchitis in 1876. I suspect that the younger son also died young as I could not find him in the 1881 census aged 10, plus or minus 5 years. Margaret may have survived to marry however as I believe she was a nurserymaid aged 14 in 1881, by which time she would have been an orphan for 5 or 6 years.13
|Catherine Ross (cir. 1834 - Mar 1876)|
|Last Edited||26 Dec 2015|
- Forename from 1861 census.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Birth cert 1855 Thomas SLATER trans Stuart H.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth cert. 1871 Peter SLATER trans. Robert McC Sep 2002.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Mar. cert 1866 Peter SLATER to Catherine ROSS Dist 664/9 #478) trans. Stuart H. Oct 2002.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Birth cert. 1866 Margaret SLATER Glasgow #1665 trans. Stuart H Oct 2002.
- CENSUS 1861: Borders ROX/BEW.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Birth cert. 1870 Peter Angus SLATER Dist 804 #25 trans. Stuart H Oct 2002.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Batch M119331 extracted Sep 2002.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth cert. 1871 Peter SLATER trans. Stuart H. Oct 2002, rechecked Oct 2003.
- Borders FHS, MIs: ROX Maxton.
- Graham MAXWELL, "EM Borders: ex Graham M," e-mail to L Henderson(1), SLATER in 1851 Census, Maxton Parish, Book 1, Page 4, rcvd Feb 2004.
- 1861 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Lessudden, Par. of St Boswells, ROX, Reg. 804 ED 1 Pg 23 Sched. 1091/1, hsehold of Robert & Elspeth SLATTER, extracted Mar 2017.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Sep 2003.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Batch C119331 extracted Sep 2002.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Birth cert. 1868 Robert SLATER St Boswells #19 trans. Stuart H Oct 2002.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Batch C118041 extracted Sep 2002.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth cert 1871 Robert SLATER, transcr. Robert Mc C, Sep 2003.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.