(circa July 1850 - 2 April 1939)
|Father||John Sinton1 (Sep 1809 - Feb 1881)|
|Mother||Catherine Cross1 (cir. 1821 - 1905)|
|Relationship||2nd cousin 3 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataCatherine Sinton was born cir. Jul 1850 Alness, Par. of Kiltearn, ROC, SCT.1,4
Catherine Sinton died on 2 Apr 1939 reg. Ashburton, CBY, NZ; Bronwyn advses that her death cert. states she was a spinster, but she knows her to be Constance Sinton's mother. No father is listed on her death cert. She was 23 when she emigrated to NZ.4,5,6,7 She was buried on 4 Apr 1939 Plot 102, Alford Forest, SCY, NZ, burial index shows Catherine as aged 88 and Presbyterian.6
MigrationCatherine Sinton immigrated on 15 Nov 1873 on the 'Cardigan Castle', CBY, NZ; listed as Cathe Sinton, 23, servant from Ross., £16/10/-.3
Census/Where lived/OccupationsThe census of 1851 showed Agnes, Isabella, Margaret, Janet and Catherine in the household of their parents John and Catherine Sinton Kinloch, Par. of Alness, ROC, SCT, enumerated as SINTON: John (SENTON) 36 shepherd b Bonden, SEL (ancestry); wife Catherine CROST (s/be Cross) 30 b Contin, ROC; Children: Agnus (SENTER, dtr, presumably Agnes) 8; Isabella (FINTON) 6; Margaret 4; Janet 2 ; Catherine 8 mos; All b Alness, ROC; Servant: Margaret CROSS 21 b Contin ROC; Visitor William CROSS 26 labourer b Contin, ROC.1
The census of 1861 showed Isabella, Margaret, Catherine, Mary, Elizabeth and Rachel and their brother James in the household of their parents John and Catherine Sinton Boath, Par. of Alness, ROC, SCT, enumerated as SINTON: John 42 shepherd b Martin, ROC; wife Catherine 41 b Contin, ROC; Children: Bell 17, Margaret 15, Catherine 10, Jas 8, Man (dtr ?Mary?) 6, Elizabeth 4, Rachel 2, all b Alness, ROC.9,10 It is possible that Catherine Sinton was Dingwall, ROC, SCT, in 1871 as there's a Catherine SEATON 19 b Alness servant in hsehold of a Colin McRAE (with an Alexander MASSON) that is the closest I've found for Catherine so far.
By 1905 Catherine Sinton and Ernest John Sinton were living on Grieves Rd, Alford Forest, Ashburton Elect., SCY, NZ, SINTON: Catherine spinster; Ernest John shepherd.11
Wills/bequestsKate Sinton was a beneficiary of the will of Christopher Grieve on 8 Jan 1912 as Kate Sinton his housekeeper (actually his sister-in-law). Kate was to be able to reside in his dwelling free of charge and be paid 10/- per week and the proceeds of the milk from the cows "as enjoyed by her during my lifetime". Kate was also to be paid 6/8d per week during her lifetime by her nephew William Duncan Grieve.12,13
NamesCatherine Sinton was also known as Kate.12
|Last Edited||19 Jun 2015|
- 1851 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Kinloch, Alness, ROC Par. 57 ED 2 Pg 6 Sched 16, hsehold of John & Catherine SINTON, extracted Feb 2009.
- BDM: NZ historical indexes online at http://bdmhistoricalrecords.identityservices.govt.nz/Search, Birth 1881 Ernest John s/o Catherine SINTON, ref. 1881/4636, extracted Jan 2013.
- FamilySearch Labs Record Search (LDS) online at http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/, 15 Nov 1873 'Cardigan Castle' Cathe SINTON, 23, servant from Ross., arr. Canterbury, from New Zealand, Archives New Zealand, Passenger Lists, 1839-1973, (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FSBH-NM7 : FHL microfilm 004411859) extracted from image May 2014.
- BDM: NZ historical indexes online at http://bdmhistoricalrecords.identityservices.govt.nz/Search, Dth 1939 Catherine SINTON, aged 88 ref. 1939/15084, extracted Jan 2013.
- Index of births, marriages and deaths, Dth 1939 Q2 Catherine SINTON, folio 1839, Ashburton, SCY, extracted May 2014.
- Www SINTON searches & misc. correspondence Bur. 4 Apr 1939 Catherine SINTON, aged 88, Presby., Alford Forest Cem.,, from http://infoservices.adc.govt.nz/Cemeteries/RecordEnquiry, extracted May 2014.
- Bronwyn Bishop, "Corres. re Catherine & Agnes SINTON of Alford Forest," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Dth 2 Apr 1939 Catherine SINTON, spinster, no father listed, emig age 23, from Guestbook posting, Apr 2014, extracted May 2014.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", May 2014.
- 1861 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Boath, Par. of Alness, ROC Reg. 57 ED 2 Pg 10 Sched 48, hsehold of John & Catherine SINTON, extracted Feb 2009.
- Census image, SCT, 1861 Boath, Alness, ROC 057/00 002/00 010 Sched 48, hsehold of John & Catherine SINTON, copy d/loaded Jun 2010.
- 1853+ Electoral Roll, New Zealand, 1905/6 Catherine & Ernest John SINTON, Alford Forest, Ashburton Elect., SCY, extracted Jan 2013,.
- FamilySearch Labs Record Search (LDS) online at http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/, Will, Inventory and Probate 1912 Christopher GRIEVE, Alford Forest, from New Zealand, Archives New Zealand, Probate Records, 1848-1991, (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KDT9-6SX : citing Timaru Court, Timaru probate files, 1871-1997, container C767208, box number 19, National Archives, Wellington (atually held Christchurch), extracted from image May 2014.
- Papers Past (NZ National Library) online at http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/, 21 Feb 1914 Alford Forest Properties for sale, from Timaru Herald, Volume C, Issue 15268, 7 February 1914, Page 16, extracted May 2014.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 1872 Catherine SINTON, aged 2, reg. Kiltearn, ROC 070/00 0025, extracted from index Jun 2010.
- BDM: NZ historical indexes online at http://bdmhistoricalrecords.identityservices.govt.nz/Search, Birth 1877 Emma Carter d/o Catherine SINTON, ref. 1877/2143, extracted May 2014.
- Phyl van den Broek, "Corres. re Ethel Janet SINTON," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Marr Nov 1908 Ethel Janet SINTON dtr of Ernest John SINTON & Katherine GRIEVE, Napier, rcvd May 2015.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.