(between 1756 and 1761 - between 1823 and 1841)
|Father||Donald Georgeson (say 1730 - cir. Dec 1793); (father/dtr relationship assumed from location and naming pattern of Christian's children)|
|Mother||Esther Miller (say 1735 - aft. 1766); (mother/dtr relationship assumed from location and naming pattern of Christian's children)|
|Relationship||4th great-grandmother of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataChristan Georgeson was estimated to have been born bet. 1756 - 1761 ?Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT, (I have assumed that Christian is the first dtr, given my theory that her mother Esther is the sister of the Helen who married David Manson.3)
Christan Georgeson married James Manson, son of David Manson and Helen J Miller, on 29 Dec 1786 Watten, Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT, Entry reads: 3 Dec 1786 James Manson & Christian Georgson in Cogill were contracted in order to marriage and after ordinary proclamations and no objections offered their marriage was solemnized Dec 29th (1786). It is highly likely that Christan and James were cousins, as their respective mothers were both Millers from Coggill when they married their respective fathers.4,5
Christan Manson died bet. 1823 - 1841 ?Coghill, Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT; (this date being based on the 1823 will of William Gunn of Catchery showing that the widow Manson of Coghill owed him £1 11s and Christan's absence from the 1841 census.)6,7
Census/Where lived/OccupationsBy Dec 1786 Christan Georgeson was living Coghill, Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT.4 Fr 1793 - 1813 Christan Georgeson and James Manson were living Coghill, Par. of Watten, CAI.8,9
NamesHer surname was recorded as Georgson.4
Christan Georgeson has also been shown (incorrectly) in records as Christian Johnston but this is believed to be a mistake on her dtr Helen's dth cert.10 Her name was also spelt Christian.4
All the other infoThe family of James Manson had lived in the Parish of Watten for many years, the earliest recorded instance being the marriage of James and Euphan (Malcolm) in 1721. The families are subsequently reported as living (over time) as farmers at Lynegar, Banks of Scowthell (Scouthal), Achoy, Winless, Cogle/Coghill, then Gersay/Gearsay/Gersa. In the 1860s this began to change.
First to leave the area was probably their grandson Robert, son of Donald and Bel (McAdie) who headed for the bright lights of Edinburgh where he was a joiner. This was probably around 1860, or even earlier.
Next to leave, and for further afield, was his brother Donald who left for Australia, then New Zealand, where he was a gold miner in 1864. During the 1870s, their grandson James (Henderson), son of Bel and David jumped ship on the East coast of Canada, settling eventually over on the West Coast. Then in 1875, siblings George (married to Catherine Fraser) and Bel (married to John Bain) both grandchildren of James & Christan emigrated to New Zealand with their families. There doesn't seem to have been much, if any, contact between these NZ based families and that of Donald who had arrived 10 yrs earlier, but they were all settled in the Otago/Southland area.11
|James Manson (Feb 1756 - bef. 1823)|
|Charts||My pedigree chart|
Ancestors & siblings of Les Henderson
Paternal ancestors of Lorna
My Caithness ancestors
|Last Edited||23 Apr 2007|
- Birth baptism marriage: Watten, CAI Dist 43/2, Baptism 1796 Donald MANSON, extracted Oct 1994.
- Letter, Carole MELLOR to Lorna Henderson, Feb 1994.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Jun 2004.
- Birth baptism marriage: Watten, CAI Dist 43/2, Marriage 1786 James MANSON/ Christian GEORGSON, extracted Oct 1994.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Dec 2003.
- MANSON www & Misc. Corres. Will 1823 William GUNN of Catchery, extract rcvd from Katherine LINEY (e-mail address) Jun 2004.
- 1841 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, Watten, CAI, searched Apr 2007.
- BAP: MANSON/GEORGESON, Watten ex OPR, 1793 +, Filed in sources folder & notebooks.
- P K Bain, "EM BAIN, Pat Dunedin," e-mail to L McIntosh, From Wick OPR, film 101975 MANSON/YOUNG baptisms, rcvd Aug 2003.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Death 1859 Helen MANSON, trans ?Stuart 2002?
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Aug 2003.
- BAP: MANSON/GEORGESON, Watten ex OPR: Sep 1994, 1793 +, Filed in sources folder & notebooks.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 1881 Christina MANSON, reg. Watten Dist 42 #4, copy d/loaded Jan 2007.
- Letter, Carole MELLOR to Lorna Henderson, rcvd Feb 1994.
- Birth baptism marriage: Watten, CAI Dist 43/2, Bap 1799 John & Jannet MANSON, rechecked Nov 2003.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.