(circa August 1791 - 14 September 1859)
|Father||James Manson1 (Feb 1756 - bef. 1823)|
|Mother||Christan Georgeson (bet. 1756 - 1761 - bet. 1823 - 1841); (although Helen's dth cert shows mother as Johnston it is believed to be Georgeson)1|
|Relationship||4th great-aunt of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataHelen Manson was born cir. Aug 1791 Coghill, Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT.3 She was christened on 12 Aug 1791 Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT; Entry reads: 1791 Aug 12, James Manson and Christian Georgeson, Coghill had a daughter baptised named Helen Wit: John Laird, Alexr ___, Coghill.3 She and Alexander Smith were definitely not married as the baptism of their son John points out. In addition the Watten Kirk Sessions show the following entries:
Jan 4th 1819 Session met and constated(?) Helen Manson in Cogill summoned to this diet as being with child & gave up Alexander Smith in Auchentoft as the father of the child which she is pregnant being exhorted was desired to attend the session this day seignight and the officer was appointed to summons the said Alexander Smith to attend said Diet
Jan 11th: Session met & constitued comp'd Alexander Smith son of William Smith in Auchentoft & confessed himself the father of Helen Manson's child, he was appointed to be ??ed before the Congregation on Sabbath ?coms ?a? week & Helen Manson on sabbath first & both required to attend on these days for that purpose. Closed with Prayer.
Agreeable to the appointment of the Kirk Session of Wattin; the said Alexdr Smith & Helen Manson appeared before the Congregational was seriously rebuked & seriously exhorted to Repentance.1,4
Helen Manson died on 14 Sep 1859 Catchery, Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT; cert extract includes: aged 68, single, pauper, inf John Smith son (who gave his grandmother's name as Christian Johnston, not Georgeson.1) She was buried Watten churchyard, Watten, CAI, SCT.1
Census/Where lived/OccupationsIn 1819 Helen Manson was living Cogle, Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT, (but spelt Cogill in OPR.)6,4 She appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 Watten, Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT, in the household of David Manson.7 Helen Manson appeared on the census of 30 Mar 1851 Catchery, Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT, as mother of John Smith.8,9
NamesHelen was also known as Ellen.7
|Charts||Ancestors & siblings of Les Henderson|
|Last Edited||12 Jun 2016|
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Death 1859 Helen MANSON, trans ?Stuart 2002?
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), SMITH Batch C110422 Feb 2002.
- BAP: MANSON/GEORGESON, Watten ex OPR: Sep 1994, 1793 +, Filed in sources folder & notebooks.
- Kristine DUNDAS (37807), "EM GEORGESON/SMITH ex Kristine D," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Kirk Sessions illegitimacy of Alexander & Helen's son John SMITH 1819, p/copy rcvd May 2004.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), MANSON searches, Aug 2003.
- Birth baptism marriage: Watten, CAI Dist 43/2, Bap 1819 John SMITH/MANSON, extracted Oct 1994.
- 1841 Census, CAI, SCT, Watten Dist 1 P14 House #74 (Mellor index), rcvd Sep 1994.
- CENSUS: CAI, SCT 1851 HFHS Index Watten & Thurso, Volume 22 Enum Dist 1 p12 extracted Sep 2003.
- 1851 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, via Ancestry.com, Watten, CAI Par. 42 ED 1 Pg 12 Sched 36, hsehold of John SMITH, extracted Jan 2007.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1875 John SMITH, transcr. Robert McC, rcvd Jul 2004.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.