(circa April 1792 - 8 October 1863)
|Father||Richard Matters2,3 (cir. 1757 - Jan 1830)|
|Mother||Patience Pike2 (cir. Apr 1758 - Oct 1829)|
|Relationship||3rd great-grandmother of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataBetsey Matters was born cir. Apr 1792 Bere Alston, Par. of Bere Ferrers, DEV, ENG.1,2,4,5 She was baptized on 21 Apr 1792 Bere Ferrers, Par. of Bere Ferrers, DEV, ENG; entry simply reads "Betsy Daughter of Richd & Patience Matters" (with some records showing that she was born Beeralston.)1,2,5,6
Betsey Matters married Isaac Smith Daw, son of Isaac Dawe and Sarah Smith, on 25 Aug 1818 Bere Ferrers, Par. of Bere Ferrers, DEV, entry in Beer Ferris in Tavistock parish register for 25 Aug 1818 shows Isaac Smith DAWE (sic) as sojourner of this parish, and Betsey Metters (sic) of this parish spinster, "married in this church by banns with the consent of their parents" by Harry Hobart, Rector. Both signed: Isaac Smith Daw (sic) and Betsey Matters (sic). Wit: Humphrey Roberts, Mary Box (neither of whom witnessed other marriages on the page.)7,4,8
Betsy Daw remarried on 4 May 1858 at the Par. Ch, St Budeaux, Dist of Plympton St Mary, DEV, ENG, to William Rowe, son of Joseph Rowe and Elizabeth Cross, cert shows Betsy Daw as a 66 yr old widow, d/o Richard Matters, waterman and William Rowe as a 67 yr old widower shipwright, s/o Joseph Rowe, farmer. Both were resident at Hornicknowle. Wtinessed by Nathanial Dawe (Betsy's late husband's brother) and Thirza Rowe (Betsy's dtr from her first marriage and married to William's nephew Joseph King Rowe.3,9,10,11)
Betsy Rowe died on 8 Oct 1863 1 Densham Tce, Plymouth, DEV, ENG; cert. shows Betsy as 70 yrs, widow of William Rowe, joiner H M Dockyard, of pneumonia, 7 days certified, informant Elizabeth Beer, (the mark of), present at the death, of 8 Melbourne St, Plymouth, reg. 9th Oct in the sub district of Saint Andrew. Family information in letters state that Betsy "died 8 Oct 1863 while living with dtr Betsey and her husband Edward Bennett, bur. Tavistock."12,13 She was buried Tavistock, DEV, ENG.11,13,14
Census/Where lived/OccupationsBetsy Daw and Isaac Daw appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 Newton Mill, Tavistock, DEV, ENG, and are assumed to be husband and wife. They were enumerated as Isaac Daw, 40, miller; Betsy, 45, both b cty (on following page): Betsy Daw, 15; Honor, 9; Jane, 8; David, 4; James Walkey(?), 15 M.S. All b Cty. Neighbours in household immediately preceding this were Mary Bidgood and family, Mary being the mother of Abraham, husband of Joan, Isaac's sister.16 Betsy Daw appeared on the census of 31 Mar 1851 as wife of Isaac Smith Dawe Lumburn, Dist of Tavistock, DEV, ENG, enumerated as DAW: Isaac S head 54, miller emp 4m & 1b, b. Tavistock; Betsy: Miller's wife, 58 b Beeralston. Honer (sic) Gale, 15, niece, b Mariston (sic), DEV. Servants: Thomas Hains, mar, 30, miners labourer; William Kerslake, 14, farm lab; Frederick Jackman, 15, farm lab. all b Tavistock.5,17
The census of 1861 showed Betsey Matters in the household of her dtr Thirza and her husband Joseph King Rowe and their sons William, Joseph and David Albany Pl, Heavitree Rd, Exeter, Par. of St Sidwell, DEV, ENG, enumerated as ROWE: Joseph King 38 farmer and grocer b Bickleigh, DEV; wife Thirza, 36 conductor of grocery store b Tavistock; Children: William Mathias 10 scholar b St Budeaux; Joseph 8, Hannah Trimble 7 both scholars b Exeter; Elizabeth 4, Sarah Jane 2, David 1mth, all b Exeter; Uncle: William 70 superannuated shipwright b Bickleigh; Mother-in-law Betsey 69 landowner's wife b Beerhalton (sic); and two servants: Tucker and Wilson.18,8 Betsey Matters lived with Bettsey Dawe and Edward Bennett in Oct 1863 1 Densham Tce, Plymouth, DEV, ENG; (from Marion via Pat NICHOLS, but year given as 1862 not 1863 in one letter, and 1863 in another)
"Betsy (Rowe previously DAWE nee MATTERS) died 8 Oct 1863 while living with dtr Betsey and her husband Edward BENNETT."13,14
Wills/bequestsBetsey Matters was named as an executrix of the will of Isaac Smith Dawe on 10 Nov 1847 Lumburn, Dist of Tavistock, DEV, ENG.19
On 10 Feb 1860 her husband William Rowe of Honicknowle, St Budeaux, DEV, ENG, left Betsey an annuity of £50 and life interest, along with William's sister Mary Brooking, in William's property at St Budeaux.20
NamesBetsey Matters was also known as Bettsey Metters.4 Her name was also spelt Betsy or Betsey.5,18
All the other infoBetsey outlived her husband William Rowe who died on 21 Apr 1862.21,22,23
Betsey Matters was mentioned in the letter Thirza Rowe sent to Honor Rowe on 19 Oct 1863 from Heavitree Rd, Exeter, DEV, ENG, as the letter is assumed to be about Bettsey Rowe previously Daw(e) nee Metters' death.24
External linksClick here to see Betsey's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.25
Betsey Matters belongs to a DNA tested line. There may be more information available on DNASurnames under the DNA project for his/her surname/line.
|Isaac Smith Dawe (cir. Mar 1797 - May 1851)|
|William Rowe (Nov 1790 - Apr 1862)|
|Charts||My direct DAWE line|
ROWE descendant chart
My pedigree chart
Maternal ancestors of Lorna
|Last Edited||4 Jul 2016|
- Findmypast online at http://www.findmypast.com, Bap. 21 Apr 1792 Betsy d/o Richard & Patience MATTERS, Bere Ferrers, DEV, from Devon Baptisms Image, rechecked Dec 2015.
- Peter & Jill BILLING (24911), "METTERS, Devon: ex P & J BILLING," e-mail to L HENDERSON (1), Bere Ferrers Baptisms 1783-1799 to Richard and Patience METTERS, extracts rcvd Feb 2000.
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Marr. 1858 Betsy DAW and William ROWE, reg. Plympton St Mary Jun qtr 5b/409, copy rcvd Jan 2006, scanned Jan 2012.
- Lois Saleeba (19674), "EM DAW: Tavistock, ex Lois S," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, DAW(E) FTree, rcvd Dec 1999.
- Census: DEV 1851, Lumburn, Tavistock, DEV, PRO HO/107/1883 Folio 323 p 10 LDS film 0221032, hsehold of Isaac S & Betsy DAW, extracted Feb 2000.
- DAW(E) www searches & misc. corres. Beer Ferris/Beer Alston DEV, from United Kingdom Genealogy, quoting White's Devonshire 1878, (http://www.uk-genealogy.org.uk/england/Devon/towns/b/…), extracted Jan 2006.
- Births marriages burials: DEV, ENG, Marr. 25 Aug 1818 Isaac Smith DAWE & Betsey MATTERS, Bere Ferrers, DEV, copy d/loaded Jun 2016.
- Brenda ROWE, "EM ROWE family ex Brenda ROWE nee RIDDLE," e-mail to L Henderson (1), ex Pat N, rcvd Jun 2000.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Marr. 1858 William ROWE and Betsy DAW, reg. Plympton, Jun qtr 5b/409, images checked Jan 2006.
- Letter, Pat NICHOLS nee BAKER (20707) to L Henderson (1), rcvd Feb 2000.
- Communication, Marion MORRIS nee JURY (915), F'Tree Joseph ROWE/Elizabeth CROSS, rcvd Dec 1999.
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Death 1863 Betsy ROWE, reg. Dec qtr Plymouth 5b/173, copy rcvd Feb 2000, scanned Mar 2006.
- Letter, Pat NICHOLS nee BAKER (20707) to L Henderson (1), Dth 1863 Betsy ROWE, from letters held by Marion MORRIS, rcvd Feb 2000.
- ROWE/DAWE Letters & Photos in possession of Marion MORRIS nee ROWE - photographed by Lorna Henderson (1), Apr 2008, Heavitree Rd, Exeter (DEV) Oct 19 1863 from J K ROWE to his brother (William ROWE, New Plymouth, TNK, NZ), copy taken Apr 2008.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Mar 2014.
- Val Symis (30421), "EM DAWE/TAYLOR ex Val SYMIS," e-mail to L Henderson (1), digital copy of entry on 1841 census: Tavistock (HO107/249 Bk 6 Folio 8 ED 3 Pg 10 & 11), rcvd Jan 2004.
- Peter & Jill BILLING (24911), "METTERS, Devon: ex P & J BILLING," e-mail to L HENDERSON (1), 1851 Census: Lumburn, Tavistock, hsehold of Isaac & Besty DAW, transcr, rcvd Feb 2000.
- 1861 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Exeter St Sidwell, DEV ED 5 RG9/1393 Folio 199 Pg 33 Sched 188, hsehold of Joseph & Thirza ROWE, copy d/loaded Jan 2006.
- Jill GROVES (42553), "EM Cook/Ravey ex Jill G," e-mail to L Henderson(1), Will Isaac Smith DAW, wrtiten 10 Nov 1847, proved 28 Jun 1851, transcr rcvd Jan 2006.
- Letter, Pat NICHOLS nee BAKER (20707) to L Henderson (1), Will 1860 William ROWE, copy rcvd Feb 2000.
- Pat Nichols nee Baker, "FTREE: ROWE, JosephCROSS, Elizabeth", Page 11.
- ROWE/DAWE Letters & Photos in possession of Marion MORRIS nee ROWE - photographed by Lorna Henderson (1), Apr 2008, Dth 21 Apr 1862, from letter written Exeter May 19th 1862 J K ROWE to "Dear Brother" (William), copy taken Apr 2008.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Dth 1862 William ROWE, reg. Exeter Jun qtr 5b/62, extracted Apr 2008.
- ROWE/DAWE Letters & Photos in possession of Marion MORRIS nee ROWE - photographed by Lorna Henderson (1), Apr 2008, Undated, but assumed to be from Heavitree Rd, Exeter (DEV) Oct 19 1863, from T(hirza) ROWE to her sister (Honour ROWE, New Plymouth, TNK, NZ), db updated Apr 2008.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct 2011.
- Births marriages burials: DEV, ENG, Bap. 26 Jul 1821 Isaac s/o Isaac Smith (miller) & Betsey DAWE at Mill Hill, Par. of Lamerton, DEV, copy d/loaded Jun 2016.
- Births marriages burials: DEV, ENG, Bap. 24 Feb 1835 Sarah d/o Isaac (miller) & Betsy DAW at Newton Mill, Tavistock, extracted Jun 2016.
- Births marriages burials: DEV, ENG, Bap. 26 Jul 1838 John s/o Isaac Smith & Betsy DAWE, Tavistock, DEV, copy d/loaded Jun 2016.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.