(circa 1769 - 24 December 1840)
|Father-Poss||John Daw (say 1720 - Aug 1778); Certainly the baptism date matches Isaac's age at dth, but North Lew is in the parish of Black Torrington, the haunt of another family of DAWEs, and much further Nth East than the descendants of "our" Isaac tended to live, around the Tavistock and Newton Abbot districts.3,4|
|Mother-Poss||Sarah Moore3,4 (say 1720 - May 1783)|
|Relationship||4th great-grandfather of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataIsaac Dawe was born cir. 1769 Tavistock, DEV, ENG.2,5 He was baptized on 8 May 1769 North Lew, DEV, ENG; this date assumes that this is the correct Isaac. Of the known places where Isaac lived, Lifton was a bit of a surprise, being a bit further away, albeit only about 8 miles as the crow flies, from the little triangle of Lamerton, Lumburn, Mill Hill. Northlew is twice as far again. In addition, the known children of John and Sarah were William, Sarah, Margaret, Gertrude and Isaac. We have no known Margarets or Gertrudes in the immediate family and descendants of Isaac and Sarah. Hardly conclusive, but usually indicative. Another researcher has him with a brother James and nephew George.3,4,5,6
Isaac Dawe married Sarah Smith on 12 Jun 1796 Par. Ch, Tavistock, DEV, ENG, entry shows Isaac Dawe "of the Parish of Lamerton batchelor and Miller" and Sarah Smith of this Parish, Spinster, married by banns by Richd Sleeman, Curate Isaac X his mark, Sarah Smith signed; Wit: Nath: Smith, L K Hornbrook.7,2,8
Isaac Daw died on 24 Dec 1840 Ventry St, Plymouth, DEV, ENG; aged 70 of asthma. He was shown as a miller and the inf. was his son Nathaniel, also a miller, living at Bedford Cottage, Tavistock.5,9 He was buried on 29 Dec 1840 Plymouth Charles, DEV, ENG, entry shows Isaac DAW as aged 70, of Ventry St.9
Census/Where lived/OccupationsAt the time of his marriage in Jun 1796 Isaac Dawe was a miller Mill Hill Quarry, Par. of Lamerton, DEV, ENG, and all bar two children were baptised at Lamerton. The baptisms apparently don't show places for Isaac and Sarah until the last two Lamerton children, Richard and Thomas, 1812 and 1814, by which time Isaac is shown as a miller at Mill Hill Quarry.8,10 By Nov 1819 Isaac Dawe and Sarah Smith were living Leat Mill, Lifton, DEV, ENG, when their last son Richard was born even though tax information on Lammerton Mill does show Isaac as paying tax on the mill to His Grace the Duke of Bedford from 1797 up to and including 1824 (Tax assessed £1/2s to 1820, then £1/6/5) perhaps at least some of these are Isaac's son Isaac, although he is generally shown as being at Newton Mill?11,4,12
External linksClick here to see Isaac's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.13
Isaac Dawe belongs to a DNA tested line. There may be more information available on DNASurnames under the DNA project for his/her surname/line.
|Sarah Smith (cir. 1774 - Feb 1833)|
|Charts||My direct DAWE line|
My pedigree chart
Ancestors (& their siblings) of Alice HENDERSON nee ANDREWS
Maternal ancestors of Lorna
DAW(E) lines represented by atDNA tests
DAW(E) DNA tests - wanted
|Last Edited||26 Jun 2016|
- Letter, Pat NICHOLS nee BAKER (20707) to L Henderson (1), rcvd Feb 2000.
- Lois Saleeba (19674), "EM DAW: Tavistock, ex Lois S," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, DAW(E) FTree, rcvd Dec 1999.
- Letter, Pat NICHOLS nee BAKER (20707) to L Henderson (1), Bap. 8 May 1769 Isaac s/o John DAW & Sarah MOORE, North Lew, DEV, rcvd Feb 2000.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Jan 2006.
- David WEETMAN (40953), "EM DAWE/TAYLOR ex David W," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Dth 1840 Isaac DAW, Plymouth, from "The Dawes and the Blackmores", rcvd Jul 2005.
- Jill GROVES (42553), "EM Cook/Ravey ex Jill G," e-mail to L Henderson(1), DAWE/COOK/RAVEY gedcom, rcvd Jan 2006.
- Findmypast online at http://www.findmypast.com, Marr. 17 Jun 1796 Isaac (miller of Lamerton) DAWE & Sarah (o.t.p.) SMITH, Tavistock, DEV from Devon Marriage Registers 1537-2002, copy d/loaded Oct 2014.
- Wendy Taylor, "FT:DAWE, Wm SmithWAY, Mary", Descendant report from Isaac DAW(E), rcvd Jun 2002.
- Findmypast online at http://www.findmypast.com, Bur. 29 Dec 1840 Isaac DAWE, aged 70, of Ventry St, from Plymouth Charles Burials, Plymouth & West Devon Record Office Collection, extracted from image Oct 2012.
- DAW(E) www searches & misc. corres. Lamerton baptisms to Isaac DAWE and Sarah SMITH, from Luke G, the Lamerton OPC (Online Parish Clerk http://www3.sympatico.ca/yourhomedecor/), rechecked Jan 2006.
- Val Symis (30421), "EM DAWE/TAYLOR ex Val SYMIS," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Baptism 1819, in Lifton, of Richard DAW to Isaac and Sarah, rcvd Sep 2005.
- Wendy Taylor, "FT:DAWE, Wm SmithWAY, Mary", Descendant report from Isaac DAW(E) Jun 2002 ex Lamerton Tax records 1780-1832 Film 1471089 Item 16.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct 2011.
- Births marriages burials: DEV, ENG, Bap. 26 Oct 1798 John s/o Isaac & Sarah DAW, Whitchurch, DEV, copy d/loaded Jun 2016.
- Births marriages burials: DEV, ENG, Bap. 1 Feb 1809 Joan Smith d/o Isaac & Sarah DAWE, Lamerton, DEV, image rechecked, Jun 2016.
- Births marriages burials: DEV, ENG, Bap. 25 Dec 1810 William Smith s/o Isaac & Sarah DAWE, Lamerton, DEV, extracted Jun 2016.
- Val Symis (30421), "EM DAWE/TAYLOR ex Val SYMIS," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Marr. 1841 Thomas DAWE and Elizabeth TAYLOR, p/copy rcvd May 2002, (filed as DAWThomasTAYLORElizMarCert.doc in sources folder).
- Births marriages burials: DEV, ENG, Bap. 14 Dec 1814 Thomas s/o Isaac (miller) & Sarah DAWE at Mill Hill Quarry, Lamerton, DEV, extracted Jun 2016.
- Roger DAWE, "EM DAWE, Richard ex Roger D," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Mar. 1844 Richard DAWE Emilla RYDER, from Genesreunited msge, rcvd Sep 2005.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.