(circa November 1819 - May 1873)
|Father||Isaac Dawe2,3 (cir. 1769 - Dec 1840)|
|Mother||Sarah Smith3 (cir. 1774 - Feb 1833)|
|Relationship||4th great-uncle of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataRichard Dawe was born cir. Nov 1819 Lifton, DEV, ENG.4 He was baptized on 6 Nov 1819 Lifton, DEV; to Sarah and Isaac, a miller at Leat Mill, this date and place agreeing with all the census records from 1851 to 1871 for Richard.3
Richard Dawe married Emily Ryder, daughter of Samuel Ryder and Jane Prout, on 2 Apr 1844 Plymouth St Andrew, DEV, ENG, both fathers (Isaac Dawe and Samuel Ryder) listed as millers, Emily and Richard both given as "of full age" and resident Old town Steet. Wit: Richard Ryder and William Peter Henry White. Reg. Plymouth Jun qtr (9/423.5,2,6)
Richard Daw died in May 1873 Buddle Park, Exeter, DEV, ENG; aged 54 (5b/51) surname as Daw.1,4,7,8 He was buried on 25 May 1873 St Thomas Cem., Exeter, DEV, ENG, entry shows Ricard DAW as 54, resid. Buddle Park.8
Census/Where lived/OccupationsRichard Dawe appeared on the census of 1841 Ermington Mill, Ermington, DEV, ENG, enumerated as Richard Daw, 21, M(ale) S(ervant) along with the Ryder family: Samuel , 50, miller; Richard 14; Jane 19, dressmaker; and what look like Samuel's in-laws Michael and Rebecca Prout, both 83, another miller and several other servants, all born census county.10,11,12
Richard and Emilla Dawe appeared on the census of 1851 Huckworthy Bridge, Sampford Spiney, Dist of Tavistock, DEV, ENG, as DAW: Richard , 31 miller b Lifton, DEV; wife Emila 27 b Ermington, DEV; Children: Thomas 6 scholar b Plymstock, DEV; Richard 1 b Tavistock.13
The census of 1861 showed Richard with his wife Emilla, their son Richard, their dtr Sarah Hayle Foundry, Phillack, DIst of Redruth, CON, ENG, household enumerated as DAWE: Richard, head, 41 miller b Lifton, DEV; wife Emilla 35 b Ermington, DEV (next page) Children: Richard 11 b Tavistock, DEV; Sarah Jane 8 b Sampford Spinney, DEV ( both scholars) Servant: Emma Bryant b CON and 3 boarders: Edward Asher 17 engine smith b Falmouth, CON; John Bennett 15 engine smith b Devonport, DEV; William Tucker 17 miller b St Austell, CON; (Next entry was for a Frederick Rowe, 30, foreman tailor, b Devonport.)4 In 1865 Richard and Emilla were living Launceston, CON, ENG, as son Williie born there, which ties in with initial information from Roger about the family.1
Richard Dawe appeared on the census of 1871 Tipton Mills, Wiggaton, Ottery St Mary, DEV, ENG, enumerated as Richard Daw, married 51 journeyman miller b Lifton, DEV (wife at home with the kids in St Thomas), with James Manley, (head unm, 62 miller b Ottery) and his sisters.14
All the other infoRichard Dawe was considered as a potential relative of Marian Augusta Lamoureaux Dawe, but this has been discounted; although not obviously with Richard or Emily in any census that I've yet found, one web site attributes a Marian, born 1855 E Stonehouse to Richard Henry Dawe and Emily Ryder. As I couldn't immediately spot a pre-census death or later marriage this was a bit of a puzzle (although the entry clearly reads Samoureux, it may be meant to be Lamoureux)
As I've subsequently found a Marian of the right age and birth place with her father Richard H and (stepmother) Eliza Ann Dawe in Plymouth St Andrew in 1881, this Richard being a solicitor, and as the Richard married to Emily Ryder died in 1873, my conclusion is that her parents are not this Richard and Emily (Ryder) Dawe. This information is included here in case others find these two websites and get curious.15,16
|Emilla Ryder (cir. 1824 - bet. Jan 1899 - Apr 1899)|
|Charts||My direct DAWE line|
Ancestors (& their siblings) of Alice HENDERSON nee ANDREWS
DAW(E) DNA tests - wanted
|Last Edited||26 Jun 2016|
- Roger DAWE, "EM DAWE, Richard ex Roger D," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Genesreunited msge re Richard DAWE, rcvd Sep 2005.
- Roger DAWE, "EM DAWE, Richard ex Roger D," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Mar. 1844 Richard DAWE Emilla RYDER, from Genesreunited msge, rcvd Sep 2005.
- Val Symis (30421), "EM DAWE/TAYLOR ex Val SYMIS," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Baptism 1819, in Lifton, of Richard DAW to Isaac and Sarah, rcvd Sep 2005.
- 1861 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Phillack, CON Dist 2 RG9/1586 Folio 24 Page 10 Sched. #47, hsehold of Richard & Emilla DAWE, extracted Sep 2005.
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Marr. 1844 Richard DAWE and Emilla RYDER, copy dated Jun 1974 rcvd from Roger D, Nov 2005.
- Val Symis (30421), "EM DAWE/TAYLOR ex Val SYMIS," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Mar. 1844 Richard DAWE Emily RYDER, St Caths index images rcvd Sep 2005.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Dth Jun qtr 1873 Richard DAW, extracted Sep 2005.
- Findmypast online at http://www.findmypast.com, Bur. 25 May 1873 Richard DAW, aged 54, of Buddle Park, bur. St Thomas Cem., Exeter, from Devon Burial Registers 1538-1988 Images, extracted Dec 2014.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Sep 2005.
- FreeCensus, UK online at http://www.freecen.org.uk/, 1841, DEV, searched Sep 2005.
- Val Symis (30421), "EM DAWE/TAYLOR ex Val SYMIS," e-mail to L Henderson (1), 1841 Census, Lifton, DEV, negative search rcvd Sep 2005.
- Val Symis (30421), "EM DAWE/TAYLOR ex Val SYMIS," e-mail to L Henderson (1), 1841 Census, Ermington, DEV, copy rcvd Sep 2005, 217_08_Page_06 (assumed to be cd reference rather than folio/ED/Page, although actual page shows 5).
- Devon, Warwick and Norfolk, 1851 UK census CD-ROM, HO/107/1883 Folio: 208 Page: 12 FHL Film: 0221032, extracted Sep 2005.
- 1871 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Ottery St Mary DEV Dist 3 RG10/2041 Folio 32 Page 7 Sched. #28 hsehold of James MANLEY, extracted Sep 2005.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Sep 2008.
- DAW(E) www searches & misc. corres. Birth abt 1855 Marian A L d/o Richard Henry DAWE & Emily RYDER, E Stonehouse, from http://www.geocities.com/kevin1brownuk/Dawe.html, extracted Sep 2008.
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Birth 1865 Willie Frank Bridgman DAWE, copy rcvd from Roger D, Nov 2005.
- GenesReunited online at http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/, Roger Dawe's tree (descendants of Richard DAWE and Emilla RYDER), extracted Sep 2005.
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Marr. 1894 Willie Frank Bridgeman Martin DAWE and Charlotte Betsy PHILLIPS, copy dated Feb 1974 rcvd from Roger D, Nov 2005.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.