(circa December 1800 - 3 January 1877)
|Father||Isaac Dawe1 (cir. 1769 - Dec 1840)|
|Mother||Sarah Smith1 (cir. 1774 - Feb 1833)|
|Relationship||4th great-aunt of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataSarah Dawe was born cir. Dec 1800 Lamerton, DEV, ENG,2,3 and baptized there on 15 Dec 1800 (the birth date being an estimate from the baptism.)1,4,5,3,2,6
Sarah Dawe married Gregory Nicholas on 21 Jul 1825 Plymouth St Charles, DEV, ENG.7,8,9
Sarah Dawe married Christopher Walters, son of Richard Walters and Rebecca UnknownSurname, bet. 1841 - 1851 ?Buckfastleigh, DEV, ENG, (further details of this marriage not yet being found with Sarah as either Dawe or Nicholas.7,2,10)
Sarah Smith Walters died on 3 Jan 1877 Princetown, Lydford, Dist of Buckland Monachorum, DEV, ENG; cert shows her as 76 dying of old age, bronchial catarrh, cert. by Richard Harrison, occupation as widow of (Gregory Nicholas, a labourer - all crossed out) Christopher Walters a blacksmith. Inf. Richard Nicholas, son, of Princetown, Lydford, present at dth.7,11,12
Census/Where lived/OccupationsSarah Nicholas appeared on the census of 1841 at the Smith's Shop, Grenofen, Par. of Whitchurch, DEV, ENG, as NICHOLAS: Sarah, 42 lab, b cty; Richard 8; Eliza 6; Henry 3; Jane 1. Next door was a Jane Nicholas, 40 with what look like 4 children aged 3 to 15, possibly a sister-in-law? (NB enumerators were instructed to round ages down to the nearest multiple of 5.)13
Christopher and Sarah Walters appeared on the census of 1851 Buckfastleigh, DEV, ENG, as WALTERS: Christopher 37 mining smith b Beer Ferris, DEV; wife Sarah 50 b Lamerton, DEV; Step Dtr: Jane M Nicholas 10 b Whitchurch DEV.14 She appeared on the census of 1861 Warren Hill, Par. of Marystowe, DEV, ENG, as a visitor in the household of William and Betsey Creber where Betsy is believed to be her sister.15 Sarah Walters lived in Feb 1862 Cremill Passage, Maker, Dist of St Germans, CON, ENG, (when sister Joan died.)16
The census of 1871 showed Sarah in the household of her son Richard and his wife Sarah Nicholas, and their son Albert, and their daughters Sarah, Emma and Edith Fleet, Dist of Weymouth, DOR, ENG, enumerated as NICHOLAS: Richard 37 common boatman b Barnstable DEV; wife Sarah 36 b. Tavistock, DEV; Children: Albert 6, Sarah Jane (indexed as Sarah James) 5, both b St Just, CON; Emma 3 b Penzance, CON; Edith 1 b St Just, CON; Mother Sarah NICHOLAS 71 wid. b Lamerton, DEV.12
NamesSarah Dawe has also been shown (incorrectly) in records as Sarah Walker Ancestry indexed her 1861 census entry as Walker, but it looks like Walters to me.17 She was also known as Sarah Thomas Dawe not sure where the middle name of Thomas comes from.1
All the other infoSarah Walters was the informant for the death of her sister Joan Smith Bidgood on 28 Feb 1862 Lumburn, Dist of Tavistock, DEV, ENG.16,18
External linksSarah Dawe belongs to a DNA tested line. There may be more information available on DNASurnames under the DNA project for his/her surname/line.
|Gregory Nicholas (say 1800 - bet. 1840 - 1841)|
|Christopher Walters (cir. Aug 1816 - cir. Jul 1852)|
|Charts||My direct DAWE line|
DAW(E) DNA tests - wanted
|Last Edited||5 Sep 2018|
- Lois Saleeba (19674), "EM DAW: Tavistock, ex Lois S," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, DAW(E) FTree, rcvd Dec 1999.
- 1851 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Buckfastleigh, DEV ED 2a HO107/1874 Folio 290 Pg 12 Sched 51, extracted Jan 2006.
- DAW(E) www searches & misc. corres. Lamerton baptisms to Isaac DAWE and Sarah SMITH, from Luke G, the Lamerton OPC (Online Parish Clerk http://www3.sympatico.ca/yourhomedecor/), rechecked Jan 2006.
- Wendy Taylor, "FT:DAWE, Wm SmithWAY, Mary", Descendant report from Isaac DAW(E), pg 1 Jun 2002.
- David WEETMAN (40953), "EM DAWE/TAYLOR ex David W," e-mail to L Henderson (1), "The Dawes and the Blackmores", rcvd Jul 2005.
- Births marriages burials: DEV, ENG, Bap. 15 Dec 1800 Sarah d/o Isaac & Sarah DAWE, Lamerton, DEV, image rechecked, Jun 2016.
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Dth 1877 Sarah Smith WALTERS reg. Buckland Monachorum, Tavistock #262 4th Jan, copy rcvd Jan 2006, showed her as widow of Gregory Nicholas and of Christopher Walters.
- Wendy Taylor, "FT:DAWE, Wm SmithWAY, Mary", Marr. 21 Jul 1825 Sarah DAWE and Gregory NICHOLAS, Plymouth St Charles, DEV, rcvd Jan 2006.
- Findmypast online at http://www.findmypast.com, Marr. 21 Jul 1825 Sarah DAWE & Gregory NICHOLAS, Plymouth Charles, DEV, from Devon Family History Society Transcr, extracted Oct 2012.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Marr. bef 1851 Sarah NICHOLAS or DAWE, searched Jan 2006.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Dth 1877 Sarah Smith WALTERS, reg. Tavistock, Mar qtr vol 5b/249, extracted Jan 2006.
- 1871 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Fleet, Sub/Dist Weymouth, DOR RG10; Piece: 2004; Folio: 51; Page: 3; hsehold of Richard & Sarah NICHOLAS, extracted Oct 2013.
- Val Symis (30421), "EM DAWE/TAYLOR ex Val SYMIS," e-mail to L Henderson (1), 1841 Census Whitchurch, DEV Pg 7, copy rcvd Jan 2006.
- 1851 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Buckfastleigh, DEV ED 2a HO107/1874 Folio 290 Pg 12 Sched 51, hsehold of Christopher & Sarah WALTERS, extracted Jan 2006.
- 1861 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Marystow, DEV ED 11 RG9/1464 Folio 97 Pg 2 Sched 10,hsehold of William & Betsy CREBER, copy d/loaded Jan 2006.
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Dth 1862 Joan Smith BIDGOOD reg. Tavistock #126 28th Feb, copy rcvd Jan 2006.
- 1861 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Marystow, DEV ED 11 RG9/1464 Folio 97 Pg 2 Sched 10, copy d/loaded Jan 2006.
- Val Symis (30421), "EM DAWE/TAYLOR ex Val SYMIS," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Dth 1862 Joan Smith BIDGOOD, reg. Tavistock Mar. qtr 5b/262, rcvd Jan 2006.
- Findmypast online at http://www.findmypast.com, Bap. 9 Jul 1826 Elizabeth d/o Gregory (farmer) & Sarah NICHOLAS, Bishop's Tawton, DEV, from Devon Baptisms - Transcripts, extracted Oct 2013.
- Findmypast online at http://www.findmypast.com, Bap. 18 Nov 1827 William s/o Gregory (farmer) & Sarah NICHOLAS, Bishop's Tawton, DEV, from Devon Baptisms - Transcripts, extracted Oct 2013.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Bishops Tawton bap. to Gregory NICHOLS and Sarah (?DAWE?), batch C050341, extracted Jan 2006 (after a lead from Wendy T).
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.