Joan Smith Dawe1
(circa January 1809 - 28 February 1862)
|Father||Isaac Dawe1,2 (cir. 1769 - Dec 1840)|
|Mother||Sarah Smith1,2 (cir. 1774 - Feb 1833)|
|Relationship||4th great-aunt of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataJoan Smith Dawe was born cir. Jan 1809 Lamerton, DEV, ENG.2 She was baptized on 1 Feb 1809 Lamerton, DEV; entry reads: Joan Smith daur of Isaac & Sarah Dawe 1st Feby (1809.)2,3,4
Joan Smith Dawe married Abraham Turner, son of Nicholas Bidgood and Mary Turner, on 2 Jan 1834 Tavistock, DEV, ENG, Wendy advises that the Devon marriages index show a Joan Smith Dawe married an Abraham Turner, in Tavistock in Jan 1834, but hasn't any info on a 2nd marriage, or change of name for Abraham. I have assumed for now that Abraham Turner and Bidgood are one and the same person. I wasn't able to check the actual entry as I couldn't find the marriage in a hurried reading of the banns fiche - which is explained by Joan being indexed as surname Smith-Dawe ! (and my not checking under Turner?)
Jun 2016 and now the Tavistock marriages are available online thanks to the South West Heritage Trust and Parochial Church Council in collaboration with FindMyPast.
Abraham Turner, labourer, Joan Smith Dawe, b.o.t.p. married by banns, both signed; Witnessed by Robert Gulley and Ann Dockett. The prior marriage, same day, was that of Robert Gulley, maltster and Elizabeth Gale (X her mark), b.o.t.p. witnessed by Abraham Turner and Ann Dockett.
Banns were called at St Eustachius, De 8th, 15th, 22nd Dec 1833.5,6,7,8,9,10
Joan Smith Bidgood died on 28 Feb 1862 Lumburn, Dist of Tavistock, DEV, ENG; cert shows her as 54, dying (at Lumborn) of phthisis pulmonalis of 2 yrs duration, wife of Abraham Bidgood a labourer at copper mine. Inf. was Sarah Walters (sister), of Cremill Passage, Maker, present at dth.11,12
Census/Where lived/OccupationsJane Bidgood appeared on the census of 1841 Abbey Vintry St (5), Plymouth, St Andrew, DEV, ENG, with Abraham Bidgood, as BIDGOOD: Abraham 30 husbandman; Jane 30; Isaac 4, Abraham 3, Jacob 12 mths, all b County (NB enumerators were instructed to round ages down to the nearest multiple of 5.)15
The census of 1851 showed Joan with her husband Abraham, their sons Abraham and Richard, their dtrs Mary and Emma Newton, Par. of Tavistock, DEV, ENG, household enumerated as BIDGOOD: Abm 44 miller b Newton, DEV; wife Joan 43 b Lamerton; Children: Abraham 13 scholar b Tavistock; Richard 9 scholar b Plymouth; Mary Jane 7 scholar b Tavistock; Emma 5 scholar b Tavistock; Lodger Samuel Bowden unm, 25 copper mining lab b Kingsbridge, DEV. (Abraham's mother Mary is still living near the mill. Abraham looks to have been working with Joan's brother Isaac DAWE as miller at Newton.)16,17
The census of 1861 showed Jane with her husband Abraham, their sons Isaac, Nicholas and Jacob, their dtr Mary Newton Old Mill, Tavistock, DEV, ENG, household enumerated as BIDGOOD: Abraham 54 mine labourer b Tavistock; wife Jane (sic) 55 b Lamerton; Children (all b Tavistock): Isaac 24, Jacob 21, Nicholas Rd 18 (all copper miners); Mary Jane 16.18
All the other infoShe was possibly related to Sarah Bidgood Newton, DEV, ENG, in 1841 ?mother/dtr? Sarah's birth date of c. 1835 would fit the marriage date for Joan and Abraham. Sarah was living with Abraham's mother in 1841 and 1851, this latter being next door to Joan's brother Isaac.19,13,20
External linksClick here to see Joan's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.
|Abraham Bidgood or Turner (cir. 1807 - Feb 1881)|
|Charts||My direct DAWE line|
Ancestors (& their siblings) of Alice HENDERSON nee ANDREWS
DAW(E) lines represented by atDNA tests
|Last Edited||26 Jun 2016|
- Lois Saleeba (19674), "EM DAW: Tavistock, ex Lois S," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, DAW(E) FTree, rcvd Dec 1999.
- Births marriages burials: DEV, ENG, Bap. 1 Feb 1809 Joan Smith d/o Isaac & Sarah DAWE, Lamerton, DEV, image rechecked, Jun 2016.
- Wendy Taylor, "FT:DAWE, Wm SmithWAY, Mary", Descendant report from Isaac DAW(E), rcvd Jun 2002, added date.
- David WEETMAN (40953), "EM DAWE/TAYLOR ex David W," e-mail to L Henderson (1), "The Dawes and the Blackmores", rcvd Jul 2005.
- Wendy Taylor, "FT:DAWE, Wm SmithWAY, Mary", Marr. 1834 Joan Smith DAWE and Abraham TURNER, rcvd Jan 2006, previously advised as 21st, now 2nd.
- Births marriages burials: DEV, ENG, Marr. 2 Jan 1834 Abraham TURNER & Joan Smith DAWE, Tavistock, DEV, copy d/loaded Jun 2016.
- Val Symis (30421), "EM DAWE/TAYLOR ex Val SYMIS," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Marr. Joan Smith DAWE and Abraham TURNER or BIDGOOD, rcvd Jan 2006, suggested surname change from TURNER to BIDGOOD.
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Birth 1838 Abraham Bidgood TURNER, reg. Tavistock #197 5th May, copy rcvd Jan 2006.
- Births marriages burials: DEV, ENG, Tavistock Marriages, consulted in Tavistock Library, Aug 2006.
- Births marriages burials: DEV, ENG, Banns 8th, 15th 22nd Dec 1833 Abraham TURNER & "Joan-Smith-DAWE", St Eustachius, Tavistock, DEV, extracted Jun 2016.
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Dth 1862 Joan Smith BIDGOOD reg. Tavistock #126 28th Feb, copy rcvd Jan 2006.
- Val Symis (30421), "EM DAWE/TAYLOR ex Val SYMIS," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Dth 1862 Joan Smith BIDGOOD, reg. Tavistock Mar. qtr 5b/262, rcvd Jan 2006.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Jan 2006.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Images from the England and Wales Marriage Index 1837 to 1983 (Beta), period 1838 thru Jun 1841 inclusive searched for Abraham BIDGOOD, to no avail, Jan 2006.
- Val Symis (30421), "EM DAWE/TAYLOR ex Val SYMIS," e-mail to L Henderson (1), 1841 Plymouth St Andrews, DEV Folio 13 Pg 20, copy rcvd Jan 2006.
- 1851 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Tavistock, DEV ED 2c HO107/1883 Folio 356 Pg 23 Sched 81, hsehold of Abm & Joan BIDGOOD, copy d/loaded Jan 2006.
- Val Symis (30421), "EM DAWE/TAYLOR ex Val SYMIS," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Rcvd Jan 2006.
- 1861 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Tavistock, DEV ED 5 RG9/1459 Folio 78 Pg 30 Sched 128, hsehold of Abraham & Jane BIDGOOD, copy d/loaded Jan 2006.
- 1851 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Tavistock, DEV ED 2c HO107/1883 Folio 356 Pg 22 Sched 79, hsehold of Mary BIDGOOD, copy d/loaded Jan 2006.
- Val Symis (30421), "EM DAWE/TAYLOR ex Val SYMIS," e-mail to L Henderson (1), digital copy of entry on 1841 census: Tavistock p8 (ED 3 HO107/249), rcvd Jan 2004.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.