(1747 - 2 November 1844)
|Relationship||4th great-grandmother of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataElizabeth Cross was born in 1747 DEV, ENG.2,3
Elizabeth Cross married Joseph Rowe, son of Joseph Rowe and Hannah UnknownSurname ?Harris, on 14 Jul 1769 Buckland Monachorum, DEV, ENG, entry #60 reads: Banns of marriage between: Joseph Rowe and Elizabeth Coss (it really doesn't look like Cross) were published on ye eleventh eighteenth and twenty fifth days of Jun in ye year 1769 and [something I couldn't decipher]. Both were "of this Parish" married in the church by banns 14th day of July by me Vicar. X the mark of both, in presence of James Wood and Sampson Dote.4,5,1
Elizabeth Rowe died on 2 Nov 1844 Belliver, Tamerton Foliott, DEV, ENG; cert shows that Elizabeth was 97, widow of Joseph Rowe, farmer, and died of senicsus senilitas, the informant being W H Winchester, surgeon, Tamerton, in attendance, reg. 6 Nov.6,7,3 She was buried on 7 Nov 1844 St Mary's, Bickleigh, DEV, ENG, her h/stone, next to the path at the left rear end of the church, reads: "To the memory of Elizabeth Rowe who departed this life November 3rd 1844 aged 99 years" (NB only 97 on dth cert and burial index) It is next to a stone for son Matthias and his wife Ann, who are in turn next to Matthias' brother John, who is in turn next to a broken stone (which was probably for a family member, my guess being Elizabeth d. 1816), which is in turn next to the stone for Joseph Rowe (another of Elizabeth's sons) Her burial is indexed as "Elizabeth Rowe, of Tamerton Foliott, bur 7 Nov aged 97."3,8,9
Census/Where lived/OccupationsElizabeth Rowe appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 Belliver Farm, Tamerton Foliott, DEV, ENG, in the household of Anthony and Mary Brooking as Elizabeth Rowe 90 Ind b cty (Mary being her daughter. This entry is indexed on Ancestry as Elizabeth Bowe, aged 20!)10,11
All the other infoElizabeth Cross was considered as a potential relative of Henry Cross, but this has been discounted; the Elizabeth dtr of Henry and Margaret was born 173x, so can't have died aged 97 in 1844.12 Elizabeth Rowe was paying rent on Bickford's Tenement, Bickleigh Town, DEV, ENG, the entry in the Conventionary rent book is in Elizabeth's name, and shows yearly rents due from 29 Sep 1811 to 29 Sep 1820 (the full period of this particular register) of £1/5/10 plus land tax of £2/2/10. From which I deduced Joseph had already died prior to 29 Sep 1811, but not necessarily so, a check of the previous rent book may show it had always been in her name.13,12
Elizabeth outlived her husband Joseph Rowe who died cir. Oct 1811.3,13
|Joseph Rowe (cir. Jan 1749 - cir. Oct 1811)|
|Charts||ROWE descendant chart|
My pedigree chart
Ancestors (& their siblings) of Alice HENDERSON nee ANDREWS
Maternal ancestors of Lorna
|Last Edited||20 Apr 2013|
- Communication, Marion MORRIS nee JURY (915), F'Tree Joseph ROWE/Elizabeth CROSS, rcvd Dec 1999.
- 1841 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, Tamerton Foliott, Roborough Hundred, DEV HO107/241/14 Reg Dist Plympton St Mary ED 18 Folio 8 Pg 11, lines 20-25 & pg 12 lines 1-7, hsehold of Anthony & Mary BROOKING, copy d/loaded Apr 2006.
- Jean PRITCHARD (38728), "EM BROOKING/BARTLETT ex Jean P," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Desc. of Joseph ROWE (saved in Family Trees as ROWEJoseph), rcvd Nov 2004.
- Births marriages burials: DEV, ENG, Marr. 1769 Elizabeth CROSS and Joseph ROWE, Buckland Monachorum marriages 1754-1812 MF 12 & 13, extracted Aug 2006.
- Brenda ROWE, "EM ROWE family ex Brenda ROWE nee RIDDLE," e-mail to L Henderson (1), F' tree Joseph ROWE/Elizabeth CROSS, rcvd May 2000.
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Dth 1844 Elizabeth ROWE, reg. Plympton St Mary Dec qtr 9/306, copy rcvd Apr 2006.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Dth 1844 Elizabeth ROWE, reg. Plympton St Mary Dec qtr 9/306, extracted Feb 2006.
- Various, interviews / personal knowledge , Visit to St Mary's churchyard, Bickleigh (Plymouth), DEV, Aug 2006.
- Births marriages burials: DEV, ENG, Bur. 1844 Elizabeth ROWE, at Bickleigh (nr Plymouth), extracted from MF5, Devon Record Office, Exeter, Aug 2006.
- 1841 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Tamerton Foliott, Roborough Hundred, DEV HO107/241/14 Reg Dist Plympton St Mary ED 18 Folio 8 Pg 11, lines 20-25 & pg 12 lines 1-7, hsehold of Anthony & Mary BROOKING, copy d/loaded Apr 2006.
- Val Symis (30421), "EM DAWE/TAYLOR ex Val SYMIS," e-mail to L Henderson (1), 1841 Census, extract rcvd Nov 2004.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Aug 2006.
- Roborough Estate, Estate Papers Plymouth & West Devon Records Office, Bickleigh, 1811 to 1820, Elizth ROWE, tenement in Bickleigh Town, extracted from "Conventionary rents 1811-1820", 874/19/1 folio 89, Aug 2006.
- Jean PRITCHARD (38728), "EM BROOKING/BARTLETT ex Jean P," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Bap. 5 Apr 1777 James s/o Joseph & Elizabeth ROWE, Buckland , rcvd Nov 2004.
- Births marriages burials: DEV, ENG, Bap. 5 Apr 1778 James s/o Joseph & Elizth ROWE, Buckland Monachorum, extracted Apr 2013.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.