(circa January 1749 - circa October 1811)
|Father||Joseph Rowe1 (bet. 1721 - 1725 - May 1763)|
|Mother||Hannah UnknownSurname ?Harris1 (say 1721 - aft. 1762)|
|Relationship||4th great-grandfather of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataJoseph Rowe was born cir. Jan 1749 Bere Ferrers, Par. of Bere Ferrers, DEV, ENG.2 He was christened on 30 Jan 1748/49 Bere Ferrers, Par. of Bere Ferrers, DEV; entry shows Joseph as son of "Joseph Row & Hannah his wife" (under 1748 OS, so 1749 ns.)3,2
Joseph Rowe married Elizabeth Cross on 14 Jul 1769 Buckland Monachorum, DEV, ENG, entry #60 reads: Banns of marriage between: Joseph Rowe and Elizabeth Coss (it really doesn't look like Cross) were published on ye eleventh eighteenth and twenty fifth days of Jun in ye year 1769 and [something I couldn't decipher]. Both were "of this Parish" married in the church by banns 14th day of July by me Vicar. X the mark of both, in presence of James Wood and Sampson Dote.4,5,6
Joseph Rowe died cir. Oct 1811 ?Hele, Par. of Bickleigh, DEV, ENG; corroboration that this might be the correct Joseph Rowe death is the circumstantial evidence from the Conventionary Rentals 1811-1820 in the Roborough Estate papers which show Elizabeth Rowe as owing and paying rent on a tenement in Bickleigh from Sep 1811 thru 1820 (the only book checked so far.)1,7 He was buried on 29 Oct 1811 Ch of St Andrews, Bere Ferrers, Par. of Bere Ferrers, DEV, ENG, assumes correct id from the Bere Ferrers burial index, but is highly likely, albeit a tad later than the 29 Sep 1811 when Bickford's Tenement rental was in Elizabeth's name.1,7 Others say that Joseph Rowe died in 1820 Hele Barton, Par. of Bickleigh, DEV, ENG, but I have not found any confirmation of this.5
Census/Where lived/OccupationsCir. 1780 Joseph Rowe was living Looseleigh Farm, Tamerton Foliot, DEV, ENG, which he rented. The 1851 census shows this as being at Plympton St Mary, Tamerton Foliott, with a Alford family in residence, farm being 128 acres and Payne family in Looseleigh House.5,8
External linksJoseph Rowe belongs to a DNA tested line. There may be more information available on DNASurnames under the DNA project for his/her surname/line.
|Elizabeth Cross (1747 - Nov 1844)|
|Charts||ROWE descendant chart|
My pedigree chart
Ancestors (& their siblings) of Alice HENDERSON nee ANDREWS
Maternal ancestors of Lorna
Rowe lines represented by atDNA tests
|Last Edited||20 Apr 2013|
- Jean PRITCHARD (38728), "EM BROOKING/BARTLETT ex Jean P," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Desc. of Joseph ROWE (saved in Family Trees as ROWEJoseph), rcvd Nov 2004.
- Births marriages burials: DEV, ENG, Bap. 1748/9 Joseph to Joseph & Hannah ROW, from Bere Ferrers Baptisms, extracted May 2007.
- Jean PRITCHARD (38728), "EM BROOKING/BARTLETT ex Jean P," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Bere Ferrers Baptisms (ROWE), rcvd Nov 2004.
- Births marriages burials: DEV, ENG, Marr. 1769 Elizabeth CROSS and Joseph ROWE, Buckland Monachorum marriages 1754-1812 MF 12 & 13, extracted Aug 2006.
- Brenda ROWE, "EM ROWE family ex Brenda ROWE nee RIDDLE," e-mail to L Henderson (1), F' tree Joseph ROWE/Elizabeth CROSS, rcvd May 2000.
- Communication, Marion MORRIS nee JURY (915), F'Tree Joseph ROWE/Elizabeth CROSS, rcvd Dec 1999.
- Roborough Estate, Estate Papers Plymouth & West Devon Records Office, Bickleigh, 1811 to 1820, Elizth ROWE, tenement in Bickleigh Town, extracted from "Conventionary rents 1811-1820", 874/19/1 folio 89, Aug 2006.
- Interview, Michelle & Marie COX, Looseleigh Farm, scanned Mar 2006, orig. from Brenda, poss. via Pat, looks like 1860s OS map.
- Jean PRITCHARD (38728), "EM BROOKING/BARTLETT ex Jean P," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Bap. 5 Apr 1777 James s/o Joseph & Elizabeth ROWE, Buckland , rcvd Nov 2004.
- Births marriages burials: DEV, ENG, Bap. 5 Apr 1778 James s/o Joseph & Elizth ROWE, Buckland Monachorum, extracted Apr 2013.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.