(circa December 1780 - 21 February 1835)
|Father||Joseph Rowe4 (cir. Jan 1749 - cir. Oct 1811)|
|Mother||Elizabeth Cross4 (1747 - Nov 1844)|
|Relationship||3rd great-grandfather of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataMatthias Rowe was born cir. Dec 1780 Buckland Monachorum, DEV, ENG.5 He was christened on 25 Dec 1780 Buckland Monachorum, DEV.5
Matthias Rowe married Ann King, daughter of James Barter King and Sarah Peek, on 27 Nov 1821 Walkhampton, DEV, ENG, Matthias residing Bickleigh nr Plymouth, Ann residing Walkhampton, witnessed by Walter King (assumed to be Ann's brother) and Hannah Rowe (assumed to be Matthias' sister.)6,7,3,4
Matthias Rowe died on 21 Feb 1835 Hele Barton, Par. of Bickleigh, DEV, ENG; aged 54.8,9 He was buried with Ann Rowe St Mary's, Bickleigh, DEV, ENG, Matthias' burial entry reads Matthias Rowe aged 54 of Hele Barton, bur 25 Feb 1835. H/stone reads: Sacred to the memory of Matthias Rowe who departed this life the 21st of February 1835 aged 54 years. Also Ann Rowe wife of the above who departed this life the 15th of January 1850 aged 62 years" Ann's burial is indexed in the Bickleigh Parish registered as Ann Rowe of Plymouth buried Jany 21st in her husband's grave aged 62 (NB Ann's dth cert shows her as buried in Plymouth.)10,8,9,11
Census/Where lived/OccupationsBy 1822 Matthias Rowe and Ann Rowe were living Hele Barton, Par. of Bickleigh, DEV, ENG, when son Joseph baptized, Matthias a farmer.12 Matthias and Ann Rowe were still living Hele, Par. of Bickleigh, DEV, ENG, in Oct 1827 at which time (birth of son William) Matthias was described as a yeoman.13
Fr 1813 - 1832 Matthias Rowe was shown as taking on several apprentices.14
When his son William married in Sep 1850 Matthias was shown as Matthew, farmer.1
Wills/bequestsMatthias Rowe wrote a will on 13 Feb 1835 appointing William Rowe and Joseph Rowe as executor(s), leaving an annuity to his wife Ann Rowe The will reads: In the name of God Amen I Matthias Rowe of the parish of Bickleigh do make this my last Will and Testament as follows. I give and bequeath unto my wife twenty five pounds a year to be taken of the interest of my property so long as she remains unmarried but if afterwards she should get married to have twelve pounds a year only as long as she shall live. I give unto my children Joseph Sarah William and Elizabeth the remainder of my property to have and share alike and if my wife should be with child at this present time (bit optimistic, but not impossible, she was already 46) that child or children to share equal with the others and if either of the above die under 21 years of age the others to have their share the money to be payable at the age of the children of twenty one years. I desire my brother Joseph Rowe of Plympton St Mary & William Rowe of Hornicknowe to act as Trustees for me. Dated Feby 13th 1835 Bickleigh Devon, signed by Matthias Rowe and witnessed by Joseph Rowe, Charles Ra???s and Anthony Brooking. Certified that the above writing contains a true copy of the original will of Matthias Rowe late of the parish of Bickleigh deceased the same having been carefully examined by us (two clerks to George ??, Deputy Registrar of the Archdeacons Court of Totnes.)15
All the other infoI initially believed that Matthias lived at "the Lumbarton Mill, Tavistock", a picture of which apparently used to hang on Honor Rowe nee Daw's wall, that Eric Terrill had a copy of. However, subsequent research indicates that this was likely to be the Lumburn Mill, near Lamerton, and this was the Dawe family, not the Rowes.16,17
Fr 1823 - 1837 Matthias Rowe and Anthony Brooking were paying rent on Blaxton & part of Mt Jessop, Manor of Maristow, DEV, ENG, the estate papers show that Brooking and Rowe began paying rent on Blaxton & Part of Mt Jessop from Michaelmas 1823 and entries continued to Michaelmas 1837 (no entries in 1838). In Michaelmas 1834 they were in arrears by £36, and only paid £74/11/8 of the £124/11/8 due that 6 mths; after the Ladyday 1835 payments arrears had reduced to £38; By Ladyday 1836 they were £10, but after a payment of only £37 of the £98/11/8 due, less £5 abatement, they'd grown to £56/11/8 again; Cleared by Michaelmas 1836; Michaelmas 1837 showed arrears of £42/11/8 and a separate acct book for Michaelmas 1837 showed payments made up to 28 Mar 1838 cleared all outstanding amounts, and had a pencilled entry "not to be repeated". No entries for Brooking and Rowe appeared in the following rent book.18
Fr 1834 - 1837 Matthias Rowe was paying rent on West Hele, Manor of Bickleigh, DEV, ENG, the estate papers show that Matthias Rowe began paying rent on West Hele from Lady Day 1834, £20 for the first year, 40 thereafter, with entries from Lady day 1835 on, showing demands against Matts Rowe executors.18
External linksMatthias Rowe belongs to a DNA tested line. There may be more information available on DNASurnames under the DNA project for his/her surname/line.
|Ann King (cir. Mar 1788 - Jan 1850)|
ROWE descendant chart
My pedigree chart
Maternal ancestors of Lorna
Rowe lines represented by atDNA tests
|Last Edited||8 Jun 2019|
- Interview, Lori SINTON nee ROWE, Mar. Sept 26th 1850 William ROWE & Honour DAW, Parish Church St Andrew, Plymouth, DEV, p/copy rcvd Oct 2001, scanned Jan 2012.
- BDM: NZ Certificates, Dth 1915 William ROWE, reg. Waitara folio 1073, inspection p/copy rcvd Aug 1993, parents given as Matthias Rowe and Elizabeth Ann formerly King.
- Interview, Michelle & Marie COX, Aug 1993.
- Communication, Marion MORRIS nee JURY (915), F'Tree Joseph ROWE/Elizabeth CROSS, rcvd Dec 1999.
- Jean PRITCHARD (38728), "EM BROOKING/BARTLETT ex Jean P," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Bap. 25 Dec 1780 Matthias s/o Joseph ROWE & Elizabeth CROSS, Buckland Monachorum, DEV, from Desc. of Joseph ROWE (saved in Family Trees as ROWEJoseph), rcvd Nov 2004.
- Births marriages burials: DEV, ENG, Marr. 27 Nov 1821 Matthias ROWE and Ann KING, at Walkhampton, extracted from MF4, Devon Record Office, Exeter, Aug 2006.
- Pat Nichols nee Baker, "FTREE: ROWE, JosephCROSS, Elizabeth", Marr. 1821 Matthias ROWE and Ann KING, extract rcvd Feb 2000.
- Pat Nichols nee Baker, "FTREE: ROWE, JosephCROSS, Elizabeth", Dth/burial 1835 Matthias ROWE, extract rcvd Feb 2000.
- Various, interviews / personal knowledge , Visit to St Mary's churchyard, Bickleigh (Plymouth), DEV, Aug 2006.
- Jean PRITCHARD (38728), "EM BROOKING/BARTLETT ex Jean P," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Bickleigh Burials, rcvd Nov 2004.
- Births marriages burials: DEV, ENG, Bur. 1850 Ann ROWE, at Bickleigh (nr Plymouth), extracted from MF5, Devon Record Office, Exeter, Aug 2006.
- Baptims marriages burials index: Bickleigh (nr Plymouth), DEV, Bap. 1822 Joseph King ROWE, extracted Feb 2006 (Baps 1813-1839 Marr 1754-1837 Burials 1813-1837), Deanery of Tamerton CD.
- Letter, Pat NICHOLS nee BAKER (20707) to L Henderson (1), Bap. 1827 William ROWE, copy rcvd Feb 2000.
- Brenda ROWE, "EM ROWE family ex Brenda ROWE nee RIDDLE," e-mail to L Henderson (1), F' tree Joseph ROWE descendants, rcvd May 2000.
- Jean PRITCHARD (38728), "EM BROOKING/BARTLETT ex Jean P," e-mail to L Henderson (1), P/copy of 1835 will (probated) of Matthias ROWE of Bickleigh, rcvd (Oct?) 2004.
- Interview, Eric & Joyce TERRILL, 1993, Hawera, Aug 1993.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Feb 2000.
- Roborough Estate, Estate Papers Plymouth & West Devon Records Office, Roborough Rack Rents 1817-1847, 874/10a, extracted Aug 2006.
- Interview, Lori SINTON nee ROWE, Mar. Sept 26th 1850 William ROWE & Honour DAW, Parish Church St Andrew, Plymouth, DEV, p/copy rcvd Oct 2001.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.