(circa March 1788 - 15 January 1850)
|Father||James Barter King3 (cir. May 1754 - Jul 1824)|
|Mother||Sarah Peek3 (cir. 1758 - cir. Apr 1795)|
|Relationship||3rd great-grandmother of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataAnn King was born cir. Mar 1788 Walkhampton, DEV, ENG.4 She was baptized on 26 Mar 1788 Walkhampton, DEV; entry reads: Mar 26th Ann d/o James Barter King and Sarah his wife.3,5,6,4
Ann King married Matthias Rowe, son of Joseph Rowe and Elizabeth Cross, on 27 Nov 1821 Walkhampton, DEV, Matthias residing Bickleigh nr Plymouth, Ann residing Walkhampton, witnessed by Walter King (assumed to be Ann's brother) and Hannah Rowe (assumed to be Matthias' sister.)7,8,9,10
Ann Rowe died on 15 Jan 1850 Cambridge Lane East (19), Plymouth, DEV, ENG; cert #265 shows Ann as 62, widow of Matthias Rowe, farmer, died of bronchitis, the informant being a Mary Ann Gray, of 57 Cambridge St Plymouth, present at the dth. Reg. 17th Jan.11,12,13,14 She was buried on 27 Jan 1850 Plymouth, DEV, ENG, but this doesn't match the burial index for Bickleigh Parish.11,12 She was buried with Matthias Rowe St Mary's, Bickleigh, DEV, ENG, Matthias' burial entry reads Matthias Rowe aged 54 of Hele Barton, bur 25 Feb 1835. H/stone reads: Sacred to the memory of Matthias Rowe who departed this life the 21st of February 1835 aged 54 years. Also Ann Rowe wife of the above who departed this life the 15th of January 1850 aged 62 years" Ann's burial is indexed in the Bickleigh Parish registered as Ann Rowe of Plymouth buried Jany 21st in her husband's grave aged 62 (NB Ann's dth cert shows her as buried in Plymouth.)15,16,14,17
Census/Where lived/OccupationsBy 1822 Ann Rowe and Matthias Rowe were living Hele Barton, Par. of Bickleigh, DEV, ENG, when son Joseph baptized, Matthias a farmer.18 Matthias and Ann Rowe were still living Hele, Par. of Bickleigh, DEV, ENG, in Oct 1827 at which time (birth of son William) Matthias was described as a yeoman.2
Ann Rowe appeared on the census of 1841 Cambridge St (59), Plymouth, DEV, ENG, as ROWE (indexed as ROME anc.): Ann 50 ind; Wm 14; Elizth 9 (all b Cty); Lodger Ann Pence 20 (NB enumerators were instructed to round ages down to the nearest multiple of 5.)19
Wills/bequestsAnn King was a beneficiary of the 23 May 1807 will of John King in the Par. of Walkhampton, DEV, ENG.20 Ann was left an annuity of £25, reducing to £12 should she remarry, in the will of her husband Matthias Rowe on 13 Feb 1835.21
NamesAs of 1915, Ann King was also known as Elizabeth Ann King but so far, only the one record, son William's dth cert, has this form of her name.1
All the other infoAnn outlived her husband Matthias Rowe who died on 21 Feb 1835 leaving Ann with 4 children ranging in age from 3 to 13.16,14 On 23 Apr 1835 George Giles sent a letter to Ann Rowe Hele Barton, Par. of Bickleigh, DEV, ENG, Mrs Rowe, The field on West Hele about which Mr Joseph Rowe enquired the other day, had better be laid down with grass seed - and some other day when Mr Joseph Rowe comes over and will call at my office I shall be glad to have further conversation with him about yielding up the premises. Yours very truly, Geo Giles.22
On 8 Apr 1836 George Giles sent another letter to Ann Rowe Hele Barton, Par. of Bickleigh, DEV, Mrs Rowe, In consequence of some conversation with Mr Joseph Rowe at Plymouth yesterday week, I have got Mr Fairweather to go over the Ploughed Lands of the West Part of Hele - the result of which, upon his Report, is, that if it be your wish to give up that land at Ladyday next, you should provide and sow good grass seeds, and in sufficient quantity, as soon as this weather will admit, upon the Oats & ?brush? them in a husbandry like manner over the Square Headland (6.2.22) and Sir Ralph Lopes will provide seeds for you to harrow or brush in, on the Bush headland. The Hewington park to remain, unseeded for grass, this season. You can, thru' your labourer, Drake, give me a couple of days notice before the seeds will require to be sown in the Bush headland. I am, Yours very truly, Geo Giles.23
External linksClick here to see Ann's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.24
|Matthias Rowe (cir. Dec 1780 - Feb 1835)|
ROWE descendant chart
My pedigree chart
Maternal ancestors of Lorna
|Last Edited||8 Jun 2019|
- BDM: NZ Certificates, Dth 1915 William ROWE, reg. Waitara folio 1073, inspection p/copy rcvd Aug 1993, parents given as Matthias Rowe and Elizabeth Ann formerly King.
- Letter, Pat NICHOLS nee BAKER (20707) to L Henderson (1), Bap. 1827 William ROWE, copy rcvd Feb 2000.
- Deborah O'Brien http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~dob7/, "DEV: Walkhampton OPC," e-mail to L Henderson(1), Baptisms 1783 to 1794 to James Barter and Sarah KING, from Walkhampton Parish Records, extract rcvd Feb 2006.
- Births marriages burials: DEV, ENG, Bap. 1788 Ann KING, extracted from Walkhampton Baptisms to 1796, MF1, West Country Studies Library, Exeter, Aug 2006.
- Pat Nichols nee Baker, "FTREE: ROWE, JosephCROSS, Elizabeth", Rcvd Feb 2000, no parents given.
- Jean PRITCHARD (38728), "EM BROOKING/BARTLETT ex Jean P," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Desc. of Joseph ROWE, rcvd Nov 2004, no parents given.
- Births marriages burials: DEV, ENG, Marr. 27 Nov 1821 Matthias ROWE and Ann KING, at Walkhampton, extracted from MF4, Devon Record Office, Exeter, Aug 2006.
- Pat Nichols nee Baker, "FTREE: ROWE, JosephCROSS, Elizabeth", Marr. 1821 Matthias ROWE and Ann KING, extract rcvd Feb 2000.
- Interview, Michelle & Marie COX, Aug 1993.
- Communication, Marion MORRIS nee JURY (915), F'Tree Joseph ROWE/Elizabeth CROSS, rcvd Dec 1999.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Dth 1850 Ann ROWE, reg. Plymouth Mar qtr 9/290 OR reg. St Thomas Mar qtr 10/212 , searched Jan 2005.
- Pat Nichols nee Baker, "FTREE: ROWE, JosephCROSS, Elizabeth", Bur. 1850 Ann ROWE, rcvd Feb 2000.
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Dth 1850 Ann ROWE, reg. St Andrew, Plymouth, copy rcvd Feb 2006, scanned Mar 2006.
- Various, interviews / personal knowledge , Visit to St Mary's churchyard, Bickleigh (Plymouth), DEV, Aug 2006.
- Jean PRITCHARD (38728), "EM BROOKING/BARTLETT ex Jean P," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Bickleigh Burials, rcvd Nov 2004.
- Pat Nichols nee Baker, "FTREE: ROWE, JosephCROSS, Elizabeth", Dth/burial 1835 Matthias ROWE, extract rcvd Feb 2000.
- Births marriages burials: DEV, ENG, Bur. 1850 Ann ROWE, at Bickleigh (nr Plymouth), extracted from MF5, Devon Record Office, Exeter, Aug 2006.
- Baptims marriages burials index: Bickleigh (nr Plymouth), DEV, Bap. 1822 Joseph King ROWE, extracted Feb 2006 (Baps 1813-1839 Marr 1754-1837 Burials 1813-1837), Deanery of Tamerton CD.
- Letter, Pat NICHOLS nee BAKER (20707) to L Henderson (1), 1841 Census Plymouth St Andrew, Roborough Hundred, DEV, HO107/269/4 Folio 9 Pg 12, hsehold of Ann ROWE, extract rcvd Feb 2006, rechecked Feb 2015 (indexed as ROME).
- WILL: KING, John of Walkhampton, DEV, d. 1 Dec 1815 (written 23 May 1807 died 1 Dec 1815 proved 22 Dec 1815) 1078/IRW/K/138: Copy rcvd Oct 2006.
- Jean PRITCHARD (38728), "EM BROOKING/BARTLETT ex Jean P," e-mail to L Henderson (1), P/copy of 1835 will (probated) of Matthias ROWE of Bickleigh, rcvd (Oct?) 2004.
- Roborough Estate, Estate Papers Plymouth & West Devon Records Office, Letter Apr 1835 from George Giles to Mrs ROWE Hele Barton, from Sir Ralph Lopes’ Estate letter book 1832-1837, 874/21/1, extracted Aug 2006.
- Roborough Estate, Estate Papers Plymouth & West Devon Records Office, Letter Apr 1836 from George Giles to Mrs ROWE Hele, from Sir Ralph Lopes’ Estate letter book 1832-1837, 874/21/1, extracted Aug 2006.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct 2011.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.