(circa April 1778 - circa February 1867)
|Father||Joseph Rowe1,2,3 (cir. Jan 1749 - cir. Oct 1811)|
|Mother||Elizabeth Cross1,2,3 (1747 - Nov 1844)|
|Relationship||4th great-uncle of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataJames Rowe was born cir. Apr 1778 Buckland Monachorum, DEV, ENG.4,3 He was baptized on 5 Apr 1778 Buckland Monachorum, DEV; entry clearly dated April 5th for year 1778 reads: "James Son of Joseph Rowe and Elizth his Wife."2,3 Some sources show James as born on 2 Aug 1778 but this was on trees received before the extracts from the Buckland baptisms, which show a baptism on 5th Apr 1777. The actual entry shows as 5th Apr 1778.5,1,6,3,2
James Rowe died cir. Feb 1867 Exeter, DEV, ENG; aged 89 (not, as some had previously thought, the Dec qtr 1852 dth reg. in Exeter as James was enumerated in the 1861 census and is buried in a Trimble family tomb with a date of 1867.)7,8,9,10 He was buried on 7 Feb 1867 All Hallows Goldsmith St, Exeter, DEV, ENG, which rather contradicts the date of death previously advised as 2 March 1867.7,10
Census/Where lived/OccupationsJames Rowe appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 Mont le Grand, Heavitree, DEV, ENG, in the household of John Trimble and Hannah Trimble.11 James Rowe appeared on the census of 30 Mar 1851 Regents Park (9), Heavitree, Exeter, DEV, ENG, in the household of Hannah Trimble as brother of Hannah.12,13
James appeared on the census of 7 Apr 1861 Queen St (3 & 4), All Hallows Goldsmith, Exeter, DEV, ENG, as a boarder with Henry Davey and Sarah Davey enumerated as DAVEY: Henry 31 linen draper, b Ashwater, DEV; wife Sarah 35 b Bickleigh, DEV; Children (next page) John T 5; Henry C 2; Frederic W (sic) 1 (all b Exeter); Sister: Harriett Davey unm, 33 draper's assistant b Ashwater; Boarder: James Rowe unm, 83 (indexed as 23 but, with knowledge, can be read as 83, James is actually Sarah's uncle), gentleman b North Buckland, DEV; and 3 assistants and 2 servants (one was a Harriett Tozer 14 nurse serv. b Whitestone, DEV.)14
All the other infoIn May 1862 James Rowe was described by his niece as "nearly blind."15
James Rowe was interred with John Trimble and Hannah Trimble St Bartholomew's Cem., Exeter, DEV, ENG.16
|Charts||ROWE descendant chart|
|Last Edited||12 Jan 2022|
- Communication, Marion MORRIS nee JURY (915), F'Tree Joseph ROWE/Elizabeth CROSS, rcvd Dec 1999.
- Jean PRITCHARD (38728), "EM BROOKING/BARTLETT ex Jean P," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Bap. 5 Apr 1777 James s/o Joseph & Elizabeth ROWE, Buckland , rcvd Nov 2004.
- Births marriages burials: DEV, ENG, Bap. 5 Apr 1778 James s/o Joseph & Elizth ROWE, Buckland Monachorum, extracted Apr 2013.
- Census: DEV 1851, PRO HO/107/1866 Folio 332 p 11 LDS film 0221014.
- Jean PRITCHARD (38728), "EM BROOKING/BARTLETT ex Jean P," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Desc. of Joseph ROWE (saved in Family Trees as ROWEJoseph), rcvd Nov 2004.
- Brenda ROWE, "EM ROWE family ex Brenda ROWE nee RIDDLE," e-mail to L Henderson (1), F' tree Joseph ROWE descendants, rcvd May 2000.
- Findmypast online at http://www.findmypast.com, Bur. 7 Feb 1867 James ROWE, aged 89, All Hallows, Goldsmith St, Exeter, DEV, from Devon Burials - Transcripts Devon Family History Society, extracted from index Apr 2013.
- England/Wales GRO online index by GRO England online at https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/…, Dth 1867 Q1 James ROWE, aged89, reg. Exeter (DEV), Vol 5B Pg91, extracted Jan 2022.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Dth 1867 James ROWE, reg. Exeter Mar qtr 5b/91, extracted Mar 2006.
- Jean PRITCHARD (38728), "EM BROOKING/BARTLETT ex Jean P," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Dth 2 Mar 1867 James ROWE, aged 89, from Desc. of Joseph ROWE (saved in Family Trees as ROWEJoseph), rcvd Nov 2004.
- Rootsweb Msge Board online at http://boards.rootsweb.com, 1841 Heavitree, DEV HO107/263/13 Sch 4 Pg 3, hsehold of John & Hannah TRIMBLE, copy rcvd Mar 2006.
- 1851 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, St Thomas, Heavitree: PRO HO/107/1866 Folio 332 p 11 LDS film 0221014, hsehold of Hannah TRIMBLE, rechecked Nov 2004.
- Peter & Jill BILLING (24911), "METTERS, Devon: ex P & J BILLING," e-mail to L HENDERSON (1), rcvd Feb 2000.
- 1861 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Exeter All Hallows Goldsmith St, DEV Dist 7 RG9/1398 Folio 45 Pages 29/30 Schedul #172, copy d/loaded Aug 2005.
- ROWE/DAWE Letters & Photos in possession of Marion MORRIS nee ROWE - photographed by Lorna Henderson (1), Apr 2008, Exeter May 19th 1862 J K ROWE to "Dear Brother" (William), copy taken Apr 2008.
- Jean PRITCHARD (38728), "EM BROOKING/BARTLETT ex Jean P," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Rcvd Mar 2006.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.