(circa November 1832 - 23 April 1909)
|Father||Donald Bain2,3 (Dec 1806 - Mar 1892)|
|Mother||Margaret Taylor2,3 (cir. Feb 1802 - Dec 1861)|
|Relationship||2nd great-grandfather of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataJohn Bain was born cir. Nov 1832 Gerston, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT.2,3 He was baptized on 11 Nov 1832 Halkirk, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT; entry reads: Bain, John, lawful son of Donald Bain and Margaret Taylor at Gerston was baptised 11th Nov 1832. there and John Bain in Clayock witnesses (assumed to be mother's sister-in-law and father's brother respectively.)2
John Bain married Sinclair Manson, daughter of Donald Manson and Isabella Sinclair MacAdie, on 24 Nov 1854 Pres. Ch, Wick, CAI, SCT, death cert says Watton, CAI; IGI says Wick, CAI, SCT.4
John Bain died on 23 Apr 1909 Benevolent (now Fulton Home), Caversham, Dunedin, OTG, NZ; Atheroma, senile dementia, exhaustion.5 He was buried on 24 Apr 1909 Southern Cem., Dunedin, OTG, NZ.5
MigrationJohn Bain and Sinclair Bain immigrated Dunedin, OTG, NZ, arriving 1875; On the same voyage of the "Invercargill" were Sinclair's brother George and his family.6
Census/Where lived/OccupationsJohn Bain appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 Sibster, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT, in the household of Donald Bain and Margaret Bain and is assumed to be a son.7,8
John Bain appeared on the census of 1851 Noss, Par. of Wick, CAI, SCT, enumerated as an 18 yr old farm servant in the hsehold of farmer Andrew & Hellen Keit (as indexed by ancestry) or Keir (as transcr. on FreeCen). Another farm servant (one of many) in the same hsehold is a Donald Bain, 21 b Watten, not a known relation. Given that I have no idea how John and Sinclair met, perhaps Donald Bain of Watten is their cupid? On this completely circumstantial evidence, I have therefore assumed that the correct 1851 John is the one at Noss, where he was to be found in a later census.
However I should point out that there is at least one other good possibily for John in this census. The other candidate is a 22 yr old farm servant b. Halkirk, at Buckies, Thurso listed as head of a hsehold of farm servants, previous entry Elizabeth McLeod, following entry the farm manager John & Margaret Paul.9
John Bain was shown as the head of the household in the census of 7 Apr 1861 Gallowhill, Wick, CAI, SCT, with Sinclair enumerated as BAIN: John 28 ploughman b Halkirk; Sinclair 33 b Watten; Children: Donald 6, Isabella 4, Margaret 2, Jemima 1mth, all b Wick.10,11
The census of 7 Apr 1871 showed John with his wife Sinclair, their dtrs Isabella and Jamesina at the Gallowhill, Hill of Noss, Wick Landward, CAI, SCT, household enumerated as BAIN: John 38 farm servant b Halkirk; wife Sinclair 43 b Watten; Children: Isabella 13, Jamesina 10, John 7 all b Wick; (dtr Margaret & son Donald, a 16 yr old farm servant, were at Gersay with their uncle James and grandmother Isabella Manson.)12,13 By 1896 John was living Argyle St, Mornington, Dunedin, OTG, NZ, but probabaly from a lot earlier, and was still there in 1901.
Wills/bequestsHis estate was probated on 4 May 1909 Dunedin, OTG, NZ; indexed as John BAIN, labourer, died 23 Apr 1909, will, prob. ref #493 filed Dn, held Dn Arch.14
All the other infoJohn outlived his wife Sinclair Bain who died on 26 Jun 1893.15
External linksClick here to see John's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.16
John Bain belongs to a DNA tested line. There may be more information available on DNASurnames under the DNA project for his/her surname/line.
|Sinclair Manson (Jan 1828 - Jun 1893)|
|Charts||Descendants of my direct McADIE line|
My pedigree chart
Ancestors & siblings of Les Henderson
Paternal ancestors of Lorna
My Caithness ancestors
|Last Edited||6 Mar 2017|
- BDM: NZ Certificates, Dth 10? Oct 1915 Isabella DAVIDSON nee BAIN, Inspection copy, very faint, held, rcvd Aug 1993, scanned Aug 2008.
- Births christenings marriages: Halkirk, CAI, SCT, Bap. 1832 John BAIN, transcr. Sep/Oct 1994.
- BAIN, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Halkirk births to Donald BAIN and Margaret TAYLOR, patron submission, batch 7208139 sheet 45, extracted 1993 (NB gives baptism date as birth date).
- BAIN, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Marr. 24 Nov 1854 John BAIN & Sinclair MANSON, batch M110434, Wick, CAI, extracted c 1993.
- John BAIN, DC John BAIN.
- BAIN family "Invercargill", Emigration, 1875 National Archives, Wgtn NZ.
- Letter, Robert B to Lorna Henderson, From 1841 Census Dec 2002.
- 1841 Census, CAI, SCT, Halkirk Dist 6 p4 ex Mellor films, extracted Sep 1994.
- 1851 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, via Ancestry.com, Noss, Wick, CAI Reg 43 ED 2A Pg 16 Sched 61, hsehold of Andrew & Hellen KEIT or KEIR, extracted Aug 2008.
- Letter, Carole MELLOR to Lorna Henderson, 1861 census, rcvd c 1994.
- 1861 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Wick, CAI Reg. 43/2 ED 1 Sched 124, hsehold of John & Sinclair BAIN, rechecked Aug 2008.
- Letter, Carole MELLOR to Lorna Henderson, 1871 census, rcvd c 1994.
- 1871 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Gallowhill, Hill of Noss, Wick, CAI Reg. 43/1 ED 1 Sched 18, hsehold of John & Sinclair BAIN, rechecked Aug 2008.
- Assorted indexes, NZ Soc. Gen. Index, Probate index.
- Sinclair BAIN nee MANSON, DC BAIN, Sinclair 1893.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct 2011.
- BDM: NZ Certificates, Dth 2 Jul 1918 Donald BAIN, folio 2573, Dunedin, inspection copy rcvd Noc 1993, scanned Aug 2008.
- BDM: NZ Certificates, Dth 15 Apr 1893 Margaret HENDERSON nee BAIN, folio 1049, Gimmerburn, inspection copy rcvd Oct 1993, scanned Aug 2008.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.