(circa February 1802 - 12 December 1861)
|Father||William Taylor1,2 (Oct 1772 - Feb 1860)|
|Mother||Isobella McDonald (bef. 1775 - bet. 1806 - 1827); Although Maggie's dth cert shows her mother as a Margaret MacDonald, it is more likely to be Isabella1,2|
|Relationship||3rd great-grandmother of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataMargaret Taylor was born cir. Feb 1802 Reay, CAI, SCT.3 She was christened on 11 Feb 1802 Reay, CAI; (mother shown as Isabel McDonald) This year agrees with Maggie's age in the 1851 census, although the latter does say she was born Halkirk, not Reay.3,4,5 Some sources believe Margaret Taylor was born cir. 1806 Reay, CAI, but most of the ages of the family in the 1861 census were well out. At least the place agrees with her christening. 1806 would also be within range for her age in the 1841 census, which shows her as born Caithness, aged 30 (plus or minus 5.)4,6
Margaret Taylor married Donald Bain, son of John Bain and Catherine Gray, on 12 Jul 1832 Halkirk, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT, the Halkirk OPR entry shows Donald in Hilhead, Bower, and Margaret in Gerston Halkirk. A month earlier, when the banns were entered in the Bower OPR they read: Donald Bain of Clayoch, Margaret Taylor of Gerston, Parish of Halkirk were matrimonially contracted the 15th Jun 1832. Cautners John Bain and William Taylor (assumed to be their respective fathers). NB another researcher believes the marriage to be 12 Feb in Halkirk which cannot be correct if the Banns were called 15 Jun.7,8,1
Margaret Taylor died on 12 Dec 1861 Dale, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT; Dist Halkirk, #37 cert reads: Margaret Bain married to Doanld Bain, farm servant, died 12th Dec, 8am, age 58. Parents shown as William Taylor and Margaret Macdonald. Cause unknown, no medical attendant, inf. William Murray, Daile, not present. Registered 18th Dec at Halkirk. (Mother's name more likely to be Isabella as the only Margaret Taylor born Reay to anyone Macdonald was to an Isabella (at least in surviving records), and Isabella also fits the Scottish naming pattern for their children).1
Census/Where lived/OccupationsIn Jul 1832 Margaret Taylor was living Gerston, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT.8
Margaret Bain and Donald Bain appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 Sibster, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT, and are assumed to be husband and wife. They were enumerated as BAIN: Donald head, 30, day lab; wife Margaret, 30. John 8; William 6; Isabell 4; James 2; Jane 1.6,9
Donald and Margaret Bain appeared on the census of 30 Mar 1851 Clashscribie, Par. of Latheron, CAI, SCT, as Donald Bain, 45, miller wife Margaret, 49 both b Halkirk. Dtrs: Isabella 15; Catherine, 9 both scholars b Latheron (place given as Clashscruvie, assumed mistranscription of Clashscriby. Possibly he had gone home to be near his father, who died a couple of years after this) This is one of 3 neighbouring census entries related to this family: the first being Donald's parents, John and Catherine, with their dtr Jane; the next being Donald's brother James and his family.10,5
Donald and Margaret Bain appeared on the census of 7 Apr 1861 Dale, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT, as BAIN: Donald, head, mar., 52, miller, b Halkirk; Margaret T, wife, 54, "his wife" b Reay; Children: Isabella, 24, b Latheron; James, 21, ag lab, b Halkirk; Catherine, 16 b Latheron' Grddtr Catherine, 3 b Halkirk (dtr of Isabella) (1 room with 1 or more windows) The ages shown are well out: Donald was by now at least 55, Maggie 59, James 23 and Catherine nearly 20, only Isabella has an age consistent with other census entries. (Only one household separates them from Alexander & Catherine Sutherland and family, which their respective children Alexander Sutherland and Catherine Bain obviously took advantage of)
Click here for a picture of the mill at Dale.4
NamesMargaret Taylor was also known as Maggie.
|Donald Bain (Dec 1806 - Mar 1892)|
|Charts||My pedigree chart|
Ancestors & siblings of Les Henderson
Paternal ancestors of Lorna
My Caithness ancestors
|Last Edited||22 Dec 2011|
- BDM: CAI, 1861 Film 224395, Dth 1861 Margaret BAIN nee TAYLOR, p/copy held, taken Apr 1994.
- TAYLOR, International Genealogical Index (IGI), TAYLOR/McDONALD: Batch C110402-?-990554, rechecked Jul 2004.
- TAYLOR, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Bap. 11 Feb 1802 Margaret d/o William TAYLOR & Isabel McDONALD, Reay, CAI, from TAYLOR/McDONALD: Batch C110402-?-990554, rechecked Jul 2004.
- 1861 Census, CAI, SCT, EnumDist 6 Page 2 Entry #6, p/copy held, 2004.
- 1851 Census, CAI, SCT, Latheron, CAI Par. 38 ED 10 Pg 1 Sched 4, hsehold of Donald & Margaret BAIN, extracted Aug 1994.
- Letter, Robert B to Lorna Henderson, From 1841 Census Dec 2002.
- Marriages Baptisms: Bower, CAI, SCT, Marriage 1832 Donald BAIN to Margaret TAYLOR, transcr. Sep/Oct 1994.
- Births christenings marriages: Halkirk, CAI, SCT, Marriage 1832 Donald BAIN to Margaret TAYLOR, transcr. Sep/Oct 1994.
- 1841 Census, CAI, SCT, Halkirk Dist 6 p4 ex Mellor films, extracted Sep 1994.
- Letter, Robert B to Lorna Henderson, Aug 2001 ex 1851 census.
- Births christenings marriages: Halkirk, CAI, SCT, Bap. 1832 John BAIN, transcr. Sep/Oct 1994.
- BAIN, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Halkirk births to Donald BAIN and Margaret TAYLOR, patron submission, batch 7208139 sheet 45, extracted 1993 (NB gives baptism date as birth date).
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Death cert 1895 William BAIN trans. Robert McC Apr 2001.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Mar. cert 1856 William BAIN/Jessie DAVENDER Dist 043/1 #41 trans. Stuart H. Feb 2001.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Marriage 1863 James BAIN to Helen SUTHERLAND, trans. Robert McC Dec 2002.
- BAIN, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Halkirk births to Donald BAIN and Margaret TAYLOR, batch C110375, extracted 1993.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 1886 Jane BAIN, copy d/loaded Dec 2005.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth cert 1904 Catherine BAIN, trans. Stuart H Jul 2003.
- BAIN, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Births to Donald BAIN and Margaret TAYLOR, batch C110384 (Latheron), extracted 1993, rechecked Nov 2005, (name on IGI given as Chtherine!).
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.