(13 December 1806 - 4 March 1892)
|Father||John Bain1 (cir. 1784 - Jun 1853)|
|Mother||Catherine Gray1 (cir. Sep 1785 - Jan 1865)|
|Relationship||3rd great-grandfather of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataDonald Bain was born on 13 Dec 1806 Westerdale, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT, Wit. Donald Gray Westerdale Alexdr Sutherland in Forrnidale? (neither yet conclusively identified, although Donald Gray is presumably a relation of his mother's) NB this date is 1 day after the Halkirk Parish records show his parents as having been married, although the Watten records show a marriage date of some 3 mths earlier.2
Donald Bain married Margaret Taylor, daughter of William Taylor and Isobella McDonald, on 12 Jul 1832 Halkirk, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT, the Halkirk OPR entry shows Donald in Hilhead, Bower, and Margaret in Gerston Halkirk. A month earlier, when the banns were entered in the Bower OPR they read: Donald Bain of Clayoch, Margaret Taylor of Gerston, Parish of Halkirk were matrimonially contracted the 15th Jun 1832. Cautners John Bain and William Taylor (assumed to be their respective fathers). NB another researcher believes the marriage to be 12 Feb in Halkirk which cannot be correct if the Banns were called 15 Jun.3,4,5
Donald Bain died on 4 Mar 1892 Sibster, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT, at age 85; Dist Halkirk, #16 cert reads: Donald Bain, pauper, formerly meal miller, widower of Margaret Taylor. Died Fourth March 1892, 10:30am Sibster aged 86. Parents John Bain farmer,dec, Catherine Gray, dec. Cause: bronchitis 1 mth & senile debility cert. by D G Braidwood. Informant James Bain, son, present (signed). Registered 4th March.1
Census/Where lived/OccupationsIn Jun 1832 Donald Bain was living Clayoch, Par. of Bower, CAI, SCT.3
By Jul 1832 Donald Bain was living Hillhead, Par. of Bower, CAI, SCT.4
Donald Bain and Margaret Bain appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 Sibster, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT, and are assumed to be husband and wife. They were enumerated as BAIN: Donald head, 30, day lab; wife Margaret, 30. John 8; William 6; Isabell 4; James 2; Jane 1.6,7
Donald and Margaret Bain appeared on the census of 30 Mar 1851 Clashscribie, Par. of Latheron, CAI, SCT, as Donald Bain, 45, miller wife Margaret, 49 both b Halkirk. Dtrs: Isabella 15; Catherine, 9 both scholars b Latheron (place given as Clashscruvie, assumed mistranscription of Clashscriby. Possibly he had gone home to be near his father, who died a couple of years after this) This is one of 3 neighbouring census entries related to this family: the first being Donald's parents, John and Catherine, with their dtr Jane; the next being Donald's brother James and his family.8,9
The census of 30 Mar 1851 showed Donald Bain living next door to the household of Catherine and John Bain Clashscribie, Par. of Latheron, CAI.10,11
Donald and Margaret Bain appeared on the census of 7 Apr 1861 Dale, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT, as BAIN: Donald, head, mar., 52, miller, b Halkirk; Margaret T, wife, 54, "his wife" b Reay; Children: Isabella, 24, b Latheron; James, 21, ag lab, b Halkirk; Catherine, 16 b Latheron' Grddtr Catherine, 3 b Halkirk (dtr of Isabella) (1 room with 1 or more windows) The ages shown are well out: Donald was by now at least 55, Maggie 59, James 23 and Catherine nearly 20, only Isabella has an age consistent with other census entries. (Only one household separates them from Alexander & Catherine Sutherland and family, which their respective children Alexander Sutherland and Catherine Bain obviously took advantage of)
Click here for a picture of the mill at Dale.12 In Jan 1863 Donald Bain was a miller, prob. in the ?Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT, when son James married.13 He was shown as a labourer Westerdale, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT, in 1871.14
The census of 3 Apr 1881 showed Donald, with his dtr Catherine, his grdson Donald D Gray, Westerdale, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, enumerated as BAIN (all b Halkirk): Donald, widower, 73, lab; dtr Catherine, unm, 36, grd son Donald D Gray, 7m (Catherine's son.)15
The census of 5 Apr 1891 showed Donald, with his dtr Catherine, his grdson Donald Bain, Sibster, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, enumerated as listed as BAIN: Donald, head, widower, 82 (actually 85 as chr 1806), Gaelic & English, b Halkirk, no occupation given. Dtr Catherine, 47, dom. servant, Gaelic & English, b Latheron; Grdson Donald Bain, 10, scholar, b Halkirk. One room with 1 or more windows.16
All the other infoDonald obviously fell on hard times in later years as the Roll of Poor at Halkirk shows he was admitted to the register 24th Sept 1884 as number 96, Donald BAIN of Westerdale, 2/- per week. An entry on 6th May 1885 shows him as aged 77, no dependents, still 2/- per week, ditto 23 Apr 1890. By 27 Oct 1890 the rate was increased to 2/6 per week, now aged 82. And on 10 Mar 1892, son James (of Sibster) was granted 10/- for coffin to defray expenses for father's internment.17
External linksDonald Bain belongs to a DNA tested line. There may be more information available on DNASurnames under the DNA project for his/her surname/line.
|Margaret Taylor (cir. Feb 1802 - Dec 1861)|
|Charts||My pedigree chart|
Ancestors & siblings of Les Henderson
Paternal ancestors of Lorna
My Caithness ancestors
|Last Edited||17 Aug 2008|
- Donald BAIN, DC BAIN, Donald; Sibster (Halkirk, CAI) 1892, P/copy held, extracted Aug 1994.
- Births christenings marriages: Halkirk, CAI, SCT, Birth 1806 Donald BAIN, transcr. Sep 1994.
- Marriages Baptisms: Bower, CAI, SCT, Marriage 1832 Donald BAIN to Margaret TAYLOR, transcr. Sep/Oct 1994.
- Births christenings marriages: Halkirk, CAI, SCT, Marriage 1832 Donald BAIN to Margaret TAYLOR, transcr. Sep/Oct 1994.
- BDM: CAI, 1861 Film 224395, Dth 1861 Margaret BAIN nee TAYLOR, p/copy held, taken Apr 1994.
- Letter, Robert B to Lorna Henderson, From 1841 Census Dec 2002.
- 1841 Census, CAI, SCT, Halkirk Dist 6 p4 ex Mellor films, extracted Sep 1994.
- Letter, Robert B to Lorna Henderson, Aug 2001 ex 1851 census.
- 1851 Census, CAI, SCT, Latheron, CAI Par. 38 ED 10 Pg 1 Sched 4, hsehold of Donald & Margaret BAIN, extracted Aug 1994.
- 1851 Census, CAI, SCT, Latheron, CAI Par. 38 ED 10 Pg 1 Sched 2, hsehold of John & Catherine BAIN, extracted Aug 1994, rechecked Apr 2007.
- Letter, Robert B to Lorna Henderson, 1851 Census, extract rcvd Aug 2001.
- 1861 Census, CAI, SCT, EnumDist 6 Page 2 Entry #6, p/copy held, 2004.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Marriage 1863 James BAIN to Helen SUTHERLAND, trans. Robert McC Dec 2002.
- 1871 Census, CAI, SCT.
- 1881 Census transcripts, UK, via Family Search/LDS CDs, FHL Film 0203400 GRO Ref Volume 037 EnumDist 7 Page 7 extracted c. 2001.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, 1891 Census Search Nov 2002: Dist 037A 004 Page 9 #38 Halkirk, p/copy held.
- Poor register: Halkirk, CAI, SCT, Extracted Sep 1994.
- Births christenings marriages: Halkirk, CAI, SCT, Bap. 1832 John BAIN, transcr. Sep/Oct 1994.
- BAIN, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Halkirk births to Donald BAIN and Margaret TAYLOR, patron submission, batch 7208139 sheet 45, extracted 1993 (NB gives baptism date as birth date).
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Death cert 1895 William BAIN trans. Robert McC Apr 2001.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Mar. cert 1856 William BAIN/Jessie DAVENDER Dist 043/1 #41 trans. Stuart H. Feb 2001.
- Births christenings marriages: Halkirk, CAI, SCT, Baptism 1834 William BAIN, trans. Sep 1994.
- BAIN, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Halkirk births to Donald BAIN and Margaret TAYLOR, batch C110375, extracted 1993.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 1886 Jane BAIN, copy d/loaded Dec 2005.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth cert 1904 Catherine BAIN, trans. Stuart H Jul 2003.
- BAIN, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Births to Donald BAIN and Margaret TAYLOR, batch C110384 (Latheron), extracted 1993, rechecked Nov 2005, (name on IGI given as Chtherine!).
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.