(18 August 1880 - after 1904)
|Father||male Gray3 (cir. 1841 - )|
|Mother||Catherine Bain1,3,2 (Dec 1841 - Jun 1904)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 3 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataDonald David Bain was born on 18 Aug 1880 Westerdale, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT, Cert reads: Donald David Bain, illeg. s/o Catherine Bain (illiterate). Registered 1 Sep 1880.3,1
Donald David Bain was estimated to have died aft. 1904 ?CAI or ?OKI, SCT, (as Bain or Gray?)2
Census/Where lived/OccupationsThe census of 3 Apr 1881 showed Donald in the household of his grandfather Donald Bain with his mother Catherine Bain Westerdale, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT, enumerated as BAIN (all b Halkirk): Donald, widower, 73, lab; dtr Catherine, unm, 36, grd son Donald D Gray, 7m (Catherine's son.)3
The census of 5 Apr 1891 showed Donald in the household of his grandfather Donald Bain with his mother Catherine Bain Sibster, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT, enumerated as listed as BAIN: Donald, head, widower, 82 (actually 85 as chr 1806), Gaelic & English, b Halkirk, no occupation given. Dtr Catherine, 47, dom. servant, Gaelic & English, b Latheron; Grdson Donald Bain, 10, scholar, b Halkirk. One room with 1 or more windows.4 Donald David Bain is possibly the one appearing with Catherine Bain in 1901 Treesdale, Par. of Canisbay, CAI, SCT; BAIN: Catherine 48 (but if so, is this a transcription error for 58, which even so is shaving 3 yrs off?) gen. serv. b Latheron; son Donald 20 farm serv carter b Halkirk.2,5
NamesAs of 1881, Donald David Bain was also known as Donald D Gray.3
All the other infoDonald Bain was the informant for the death of his mother Catherine Bain on 1 Jun 1904 at the Quarry, Halkirk, CAI, SCT.6,7,8
|Last Edited||1 Dec 2005|
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Birth cert 1880 Donald D BAIN ex Robert McC Apr 2001.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth cert 1904 Catherine BAIN, trans. Stuart H Jul 2003.
- 1881 Census transcripts, UK, via Family Search/LDS CDs, FHL Film 0203400 GRO Ref Volume 037 EnumDist 7 Page 7 extracted c. 2001.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, 1891 Census Search Nov 2002: Dist 037A 004 Page 9 #38 Halkirk, p/copy held.
- 1901 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, Via Ancestry.com, Canisbay, CAI, Reg. 35 ED 3 Pg 6 Sched 29, hsehold of Catherine BAIN, extracted Aug 2010.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1 Jun 1904 Catherine BAIN, Fuarray, Kirkwall, trans. Stuart H Jul 2003.
- BAIN misc. searches/corres. Dth 1 Jun 1904 Quarry, Halkirk, from John F, rcvd Aug 2010.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 1 Jun 1904 Catherine BAIN, Quarry, Kirkwall, Halkirk, CAI, 037/0A #23 (also Vol ! p132, RCE, not consulted), copy rcvd from Lynne D, Sep 2010.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.