(circa April 1800 - 5 April 1873)
|Father||Robert MacAdie3 (cir. Apr 1760 - aft. 1826)|
|Mother||Margaret Sinclair4 (cir. Jul 1768 - bef. 1841)|
|Relationship||3rd great-grandmother of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataIsabella Sinclair MacAdie was born cir. Apr 1800 Lynegar, Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT.5 She was christened on 12 Apr 1800 Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT; entry reads: "Robert McAdie in Lynegar and Margt Sinclair is (sic) spouse had a daughter baptized named Isobel before witnesses, John Barnetson in Lynegar & George McAllan in H(?? illegible.)5"
Isabella Sinclair MacAdie married Donald Manson, son of James Manson and Christan Georgeson, on 1 Dec 1826 Par. of Wick, CAI, SCT, OPR entry for Wick reads: Nov 3rd 1826 Manson Donald in Coghill Parish of Watten was maty Contr to Isobel MacAdie daug. of Robert MacAdie in Mireland. Wm Rosie cooper in Wick (assumed to be Isabella's new brother-in-law) stood for the man and Wm MacAdie in Mireland (assumed to be Isabella's brother) for the woman, married Dec 1st. IGI: "Donald Manson to Isobel MacKadie"
For Watten (Manson McAdie in margin): 4th Nov 1826 Donald Manson in Coghill of this parish & Isobel Mackadie in Mirelandorn in the Parish of Wick were contracted in order to marriage & after the proclamation of Banns, for three several sabbaths published herein the usual place & Manner, & no objections offered, their Marriage was solemnized on the first day of December 1826.6,7,8
Isabella Manson died on 5 Apr 1873 Gersa(y), Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT; Dist (Watten) #10 cert reads: Isabella Manson (widow of Donald Manson, farmer) at 5pm Gersa Watten, 72 yrs, d/o Robert McAdie farmer dec. & Margaret m.s. Sinclair, dec; of natural decay, no regular medical attendant. Inf. Robert Manson, son, Edinburgh. Reg. Watten 10th Apr.4
Census/Where lived/OccupationsFr Jan 1828 - Dec 1840 Bel and Donald were living Coghill, Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT.9
Bel Manson appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 Cogle, Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT, with Donald Manson, as Manson: Donald Head, 40 farmer; Bel, 40; also Sinclair 13; James 10; Robert 8; Donald 5; George 3 and Christina 6mths (NB enumerators were instructed to round ages down to the nearest multiple of 5.)10,11
Isabella Manson was shown as the head of the household in the census of 30 Mar 1851 Gersa(y), Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT, enumerated as schedule reads (all Manson and all b Watten): Isabella, widow, head, farmer 25 acres; Children: Sinclair (F), 22, unm; James, 20; George, scholar, 13; Christina, 10.12
Isabella Manson was shown as the head of the household in the census of 7 Apr 1861 at Gersa(y), Watten, Caithness, enumerated as schedule lists: (all Manson): Isabella, widow, head, farmer 30 acres; James, 30, unm, ploughman; George, 23, unm, labourer; Christina, 19, unm, farm servant.13 She appeared on the census of 7 Apr 1871 at Gersa(y), Watten, Caithness, as mother of James Manson.14
NamesAt different times her surname was also spelt variously as MacKadie, McCadie, McAdie.
All the other infoIsabella Sinclair MacAdie and Isabella McAdie Gersa(y), Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT, in Nov 1854 were possibly related Magnus Bain, the latter Isabella's future husband was at Gersay when they married. Isabella was living Kirk at the time, but was born in Watten.15
The Manson farm at Gersay grew slightly over time. The first size I have available is the 1851 census when it was given as 25 acres by Isabella. By 1861 this was 30 acres, again according to Isabella. By the 1871 census son James gave the size as 31 acres. The yearly rent, at least from 1863 to 1868, was £14/6/10 a year split into Feb and Aug instalments, shown in the cash books for the Anstruther Estate as being paid by "the widow Manson", then later by son James.16,17
External linksClick here to see Isabella's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.18
|Donald Manson (Jan 1796 - bet. 1841 - 1851)|
|Charts||Descendants of my direct McADIE line|
My pedigree chart
Ancestors & siblings of Les Henderson
Paternal ancestors of Lorna
My Caithness ancestors
|Last Edited||15 Jun 2016|
- (although spelt Isobel McAdie when dtr Sinclair baptised.)
- Birth baptism marriage: Watten, CAI Dist 43/2, Baptism 1828 Sinclair MANSON, transcr. Sep 1994.
- Marriages: Wick, CAI, SCT, Mar. entry 1826 Donald MANSON/Isabella McADIE, trans. L McIntosh Sep 1994 (1820-54), Dist 043.
- Isabella MANSON nee McADIE (2525), DC MANSON, Isabella (McADIE) 1873 Watten, p/copy held by L McIntosh.
- Birth baptism marriage: Watten, CAI Dist 43/2, baptism.
- Marriages: Wick, CAI, SCT, Marr. entry 1826 Donald MANSON/Isabella McADIE, trans. L McIntosh Sep 1994 (1820-54), Dist 043.
- 1993 IGI extract - MANSON, CAI, SCT, Batch M110424-?-990557, extracted Aug 2003.
- Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Marr. 1 Dec 1826 Donald MANSON (Coghill) & Isobel MacKADIE (Mirelandorn), Watten, CAI, 042/00 0030 0118, copy d/loaded Apr 2015.
- Birth baptism marriage: Watten, CAI Dist 43/2, Baptisms 1828 thru 1840 children Donald MANSON & Isabella McADIE, transcr. Sep 1994.
- 1841 Census, CAI, SCT, Watten Dist 1 Sched 9 (Mellor index) #44, rechecked Sep/Oct 1994/5.
- Letter, Carole MELLOR to Lorna Henderson, From 1841 Census, Watten, rcvd Feb 1994.
- Letter, Carole MELLOR to Lorna Henderson, From 1851 Census, Watten, rcvd Feb 1994.
- Letter, Carole MELLOR to Lorna Henderson, From 1861 Census, Watten, rcvd Feb 1994.
- 1871 Census, CAI, SCT, Watten Dist 2 sched 34 Gersay.
- Jacqueline B CUNNINGHAM nee BAIN (33049), "EM BAIN/McADIE (Magnus/Isabella) ex Jacqueline C," e-mail to L McIntosh, Assumed to be from OPR mar. 1854 Magnus BAIN to Isabella McADIE, rcvd Feb 2003.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Dec 2003.
- CAI, SCT Cash book Anstruther Estate, Estate papers, Transcribed Sep 1995 Filed in sources folder & notebooks.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct 2011.
- 1993 IGI extract - MANSON, CAI, SCT, Birth 4 Jan, Bap 3 Feb 1828 Sinclair d/o Donald MANSON & Isobel Mc ADIE, Batch C110422 Watten, CAI, film 990557, extracted Aug 2003.
- Birth baptism marriage: Watten, CAI Dist 43/2, Baptism 1830 James MANSON, transcr. Sep 1994.
- George MANSON, DC MANSON, George 1912.
- Birth baptism marriage: Watten, CAI Dist 43/2, Baptism 1838 George MANSON, transcr. Sep 1994.
- Birth baptism marriage: Watten, CAI Dist 43/2, Baptism 1840 Christina MANSON, transcr. Sep 1994.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.