(8 July 1830 - 28 November 1871)
|Father||Donald Manson1 (Jan 1796 - bet. 1841 - 1851)|
|Mother||Isabella Sinclair MacAdie1 (cir. Apr 1800 - Apr 1873)|
|Relationship||3rd great-uncle of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataJames Manson was born on 8 Jul 1830 Coghill, Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT.1 He was christened on 8 Aug 1830 Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT; Entry reads: 8th Aug 1830 Donald Manson in Coghill & Isobel MacKadie his spouse, son born 8 Jul named James before the congregation.1
James Manson died on 28 Nov 1871 Gersa(y), Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT, at age 41; Dist 42 cert #17: aged 41, farmer, Gersay, Watten, son of Donald Manson, dec, farmer and Isabella McAdie, of chronic inflammation of bladder. Inf. George Manson, brother.2
Census/Where lived/OccupationsJames Manson appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 Cogle, Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT, in the household of Donald Manson and Bel Manson.3,4 James Manson appeared on the census of 30 Mar 1851 at Gersa(y), Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT, as son of Isabella Manson.5 James Manson was a ploughman in 1861 at Gersa(y), Watten, Caithness.6 He appeared on the census of 7 Apr 1861 at Gersa(y), Watten, Caithness, in the household of Isabella Manson as son of Isabella.6
James Manson appeared on the census of 7 Apr 1871 at Gersa(y), Watten, Caithness, enumerated as Manson: James, Head, unm, 40, b Watten, farmer 31 acres arable; Isabella, mother, 70 b Watten; nephew, Donald Bain, 16, farm serv; niece Margaret Bain, 11, scholar, both b Wick; farm serv, Elizabeth McAdie, 38, unm, b Watten.7
All the other infoFr Feb 1868 - Aug 1868 Gearsay, Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT, James Manson shows in the Anstruther cash book entries for #23 as:
18 Feb James Manson, £8 6/-; 19 Aug Jas Manson £8, but in 1877 #23 now being paid for by Wm Leitch of Gearsay £23/17/3d (this might be a transcription error given the 23 is suspiciously like the entry number, and it is rather an increase.)8
|Charts||Descendants of my direct McADIE line|
Ancestors & siblings of Les Henderson
|Last Edited||16 Dec 2004|
- Birth baptism marriage: Watten, CAI Dist 43/2, Baptism 1830 James MANSON, transcr. Sep 1994.
- Ian AITCHISON, "EM CAI families ex AITCHISON," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Nov 2000.
- 1841 Census, CAI, SCT, Watten Dist 1 Sched 9 (Mellor index) #44, rechecked Sep/Oct 1994/5.
- Letter, Carole MELLOR to Lorna Henderson, From 1841 Census, Watten, rcvd Feb 1994.
- Letter, Carole MELLOR to Lorna Henderson, From 1851 Census, Watten, rcvd Feb 1994.
- Letter, Carole MELLOR to Lorna Henderson, From 1861 Census, Watten, rcvd Feb 1994.
- 1871 Census, CAI, SCT, Watten Dist 2 sched 34 Gersay.
- CAI, SCT Cash book Anstruther Estate, Estate papers, Transcribed Sep 1995 Filed in sources folder & notebooks.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.