(21 January 1833 - 9 April 1899)
|Father||Donald Manson (Jan 1796 - bet. 1841 - 1851)|
|Mother||Isabella Sinclair MacAdie (cir. Apr 1800 - Apr 1873)|
|Relationship||3rd great-uncle of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataRobert Manson was born on 21 Jan 1833 Coghill, Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT.1 He was baptized on 3 Mar 1833 Watten, Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT; 'before the congregation', Donald in Coghill. IGI: s/o "Donald Manson and Isobel MacKadie.1,2"
Robert Manson married Margaret S Sinclair, daughter of Adam Sinclair and Elizabeth Begg, on 14 Jun 1860 South Leith, Edinburgh, MLN, SCT, Robert, 28 a joiner j'neyman of 11 Sth James St, Edin, s/o Donald Manson, farmer decd and Isabella McCadie married Margaret, 29, of 30 Kirkgate Sth Leith spinster no relationship, d/o Adam Sinclair, Town's officer and Elizabeth m.s. Begg Wit: Adam Sinclair (assumed to be Margaret's brother) John McKay.3
Robert Manson died on 9 Apr 1899 17 Cathcart Pl, Edinburgh, Dist of St George, MLN, SCT, at age 66; cert reads: Robert Manson joiner, married to Margaret Sinclair, aged 66, died at 1:20pm, s/o Donald Manson farmer and Isabella m.s. McAdie both dec., inf. dtr Elizabeth Sinclair Manson, present.4
Census/Where lived/OccupationsRobert Manson appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 Cogle, Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT, in the household of Donald Manson and Bel Manson.5,6 Robert Manson appeared on the census of 30 Mar 1851 47 Yard Head, South Leith, MLN, SCT, as a lodger of Robert McAdie and Ann Mason (although the image does show his surname as Morison, I haven't been able to find Robert, joiner anywhere else, so I believe this is actually Robert Manson, especially as he later married in Edinburgh, and is 1st cousin of Robert McAdie.7,8)
By 1860 Robert Manson was a joiner journeyman of 11 Sth James St, Edinburgh, MLN, SCT, when he married Margaret.9
Robert Manson was shown as the head of the household in the census of 1861 Flat 5d, Edinburgh St Stephen, Dist of St Andrew, MLN, SCT, with Margaret enumerated as MANSON: Robert 29, joiner journeyman; wife Margaret 29 both b Watten.10
The census of 1871 showed Robert with his wife Margt, their sons Robert and John, their dtr E Jamaica St (16), Edinburgh St Stephen, MLN, SCT, household enumerated as MANSON: Robert, 38 joiner b Watten, CAI; wife Margt 38 b Wick, CAI; Children (all b Edin): E S 8 scholar; Robt 4; John 3.11
Robert and Margaret S Manson appeared on the census of 3 Apr 1881 Edinburgh St Stephen, MLN, as MANSON: Robert, joiner, 48 b Watten, CAI; wife Margaret S, 48 b Wick, CAI; Children (all b Edin): Elizabeth S, female clerk 18; Robert, office boy 14; John, 12, scholar; Sister-in-law Elizabeth Sinclair, unm, housekeeper 43 b Leith, Edin.12
The census of 1891 showed Robert with his wife Margaret, their son Robert, their dtr Elizabeth 17 Cathcart Place, Edinburgh, MLN, SCT, household enumerated as MANSON: Robert 58 joiner b Watten CAI; wife Margaret 56; Dtr Elizabeth S unm 26 stationer's bookeeper; Robert 24 warehouse clerk (sugar) both b Edin (3 rooms with 1 or more windows. This was the last entry on the page, and as John was missing, I checked the next page - it didn't have John on it.)13
All the other infoRobert Manson was the informant for the death of his mother Isabella Manson on 5 Apr 1873 Gersa(y), Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT.14
External linksClick here to see Robert's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.15
|Margaret S Sinclair (Nov 1830 - aft. 1901)|
|Charts||Descendants of my direct McADIE line|
Ancestors & siblings of Les Henderson
|Last Edited||19 Aug 2015|
- Birth baptism marriage: Watten, CAI Dist 43/2, MANSON/McADIE baptisms, extracted ?c Sep/Oct 1994/5?
- 1993 IGI extract - MANSON, CAI, SCT, MANSON baptisms, batch C110422-?-990557, checked Aug 2003.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Marr. 1860 Margaret SINCLAIR & Robert MANSON, Edinburgh, MLN, extracted Sep/Oct 1994/5.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 1899 Robert MANSON, copy d/loaded Aug 2005.
- 1841 Census, CAI, SCT, Watten Dist 1 Sched 9 (Mellor index) #44, rechecked Sep/Oct 1994/5.
- Letter, Carole MELLOR to Lorna Henderson, From 1841 Census, Watten, rcvd Feb 1994.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, 1851 Census Leith Sth, Edinburgh MLN Dist 692/2 ED 9 Folio 2 Pg 21 Sched 90, hsehold of Robert McADIE and Ann MASON, copy d/loaded May2006.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", May 2007.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Mar. cert 1860 Robert MANSON to Margaret SINCLAIR, extracted Sep/Oct 1994/5.
- 1861 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, via Ancestry.com, Civil Parish Edinburgh St Stephen, Dist of St Andrew, Edinburgh MLN REg. 685/2 ED 55 Pg 3 Sched 26, hsehold of Robert & Margaret MANSON, extracted May 2007.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, 1871 Census, Edinburgh St Stephens, MLN, Dist 685/2 Page 2 Schedule #12, (Robert & Margaret MANSON), copy d/loaded Aug 2005.
- 1881 Census transcripts, UK, via Family Search/LDS CDs, Edinburgh, MLN, FHL Film 0223997 GRO Ref Volume 685-2 EnumDist 66 Page 10, hsehold of Robert & Margaret JANSON, extracted Jan 2001.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, 1891 Edinburgh Dist 685/1 Page 7 Schedule #39 (MANSON), copy d/loaded Aug 2005, Originally viewed Sep/Oct 1994/5.
- Isabella MANSON nee McADIE (2525), DC MANSON, Isabella (McADIE) 1873 Watten, p/copy held by L McIntosh.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct 2011.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), MANSON Batch C116852 Feb 2002.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.