(7 December 1827 - 3 February 1898)
|Father||George MacAdie2,3,4 (cir. May 1803 - Sep 1883)|
|Mother||Elizabeth Rosie2,4 (cir. 1806 - bet. 1871 - 1881)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 4 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataRobert McAdie was born on 7 Dec 1827 Ackergill, CAI, SCT.5,3 He was baptized on 11 Jan 1828 Par. of Wick, CAI, SCT.2,4
Robert McAdie married Ann Meason, daughter of John Mason and Jessie Gibson, on 21 Apr 1848 South Leith, MLN, SCT.1,6,7
Robert McAdie died on 3 Feb 1898 in the Hospital, Ararat, County of Ripon, VIC, AUS, at age 70; cert. #74 shows Robert as a 71 yr old carpenter, s/o George McAdie, farmer, mother "unknown". Inf. son David of Ararat. Reg. Ararat 4th Feb, buried Ararat 5th Feb Presb. Minister officiating; Married Edinburgh at about age 25 to Ann, surname unknown, 40 yrs in Victoria. Issue: George 45, Jessie dead, David 36.4,3,8,9,10 He was buried with Ann Meason in the General Cem., Ararat, VIC, AUS, Robert on 05 Feb 1898, Ann on 22 Mar 1897.5
MigrationRobert McAdie and Nancy McAdie left from either London 24 Apr or Plymouth by 2 May on the "Sultana" arriving Port Adelaide on 8 Aug 1851 A transcribed passenger list shows a Robert, 24, carpenter of Caithness with a 20 yr old Nancy (sic) and 1 yr old George. As George was shown as a 1 yr old grdchild with his grdparents in Wick, Caithness on 30 Mar 1851, the family must have had a quick dash down the country to leave, but apart from Robert's wife name being shown as Nancy rather than Ann, this does fit known information. None of the other passengers listed are from Caithness, and Scottish families are decidedly in the minority.11,12
Census/Where lived/OccupationsRobert McAdie appeared on the census of 1841 Hillhead, Par. of Wick, CAI, SCT, in the household of George McAdie and Elizabeth McAdie and is assumed to be a son (aged 13 born county.)13,4
The census of 30 Mar 1851 showed Robert with his wife Ann 47 Yard Head, South Leith, MLN, SCT, household enumerated as Robert McAdie, head 23 joiner journeyman; wife Ann Mason 22; both b Wick, CAI; Lodgers: Benjamin Dunbar 19 apprentice plumber b Wick; Robert Morison 17 apprentice joiner b Watten (although the image does show this latter as Morison, I haven't been able to find Robert Manson, joiner anywhere else, so I believe this is actually Robert Manson, especially as he later married in Edinburgh and is 1st cousin to Robert McAdie.1,14) Robert McAdie was as a builder in partnership "R McAdie & Duncan" Ararat, VIC, AUS.5
NamesHis surname was recorded as MacAdie.2
All the other infoSpurred on by a contact (May 2006) from a researcher with a connection to Robert's brother George's wife Elizabeth Sandison Bremner, I checked the family of George McAdie and Elizabeth Rosie to see what I still had to find. Lots. I cast around what I already had in my db as speculative data: a 1 yr old grdchild George born Leith, Edinburgh with his grdparents in 1851 and no definitive parent; several McAdies of the right timeframe to be children of Robert floating around marrying in Victoria, Australia with names like David and George, with a first son called Robert; but no intervening data. I quickly found a Robert McAdie marrying in Leith, and found him in the 1851 census to prove he was indeed from Caithness and of the right age to be the Robert I was looking for. I decided to check the Australian marriage cert. for George, his likely son. Bingo. And the marriage was at the groom's residence in Ararat, so it was highly likely that I'd find my definitive link by finding Robert's dth cert. It initially eluded me as it was indexed as Robt, not Robert. Although his mother's name is not known on the cert, his father was given as George, a farmer, and Robert was of the right age, so I'm convinced I've found what happened to George and Elizabeth's son Robert.
I'm still wondering who on earth is William? Robert's brother? I haven't spotted any obvious BDM events in Victoria for a William as yet, only the place of birth for dtr Jessie's son Harold Henderson McAdie which was "at the house of a Wm McAdie.12" Robert McAdie and George McAdie were shown as shareholders of the Williams Freehold Gold Mining Company, Robert with 26 shares and George with 9 on 22 Nov 1872 Ararat, VIC, AUS.15
Robert McAdie was the informant for the death of his daughter Jessie McAdie Brotherton on 19 Feb 1894 Bright, Cty of Delatite, VIC, AUS.16,17,3,18
Robert outlived his wife Ann Meason who died on 19 Mar 1897.19,7,1,20
Robert McAdie is possibly the man appearing in the photo taken 1898 Ararat, VIC; There exists a photograph in the Ararat Museum in a montage of early Ararat pioneers of one D McAdie, given as arriving in 1857. The montage was assembled in 1898 and shows an old man, certainly too old to be David Alexander McAdie It therefore appears to be a photograph of his father Robert McAdie and if taken in 1898, shows him not long before his death in that year.21 He was shown on his hospital admission on 6 Jan 1898 to the General Hosp., Ararat, VIC, AUS, as admitted with a malignant cystic tumor of the neck, and shown as a 70 yr old Presbyterian carpenter who arrived in the Colony in 1851, born Scotland.22
External linksClick here to see Robert's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.23
Robert McAdie belongs to a DNA tested line. There may be more information available on DNASurnames under the DNA project for his/her surname/line.
|Ann Meason (cir. 1829 - Mar 1897)|
|Charts||Descendants of my direct McADIE line|
|Last Edited||5 Jun 2013|
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, 1851 Census Leith Sth, Edinburgh MLN Dist 692/2 ED 9 Folio 2 Pg 21 Sched 90, hsehold of Robert McADIE and Ann MASON, copy d/loaded May2006.
- Ian AITCHISON, "EM CAI families ex AITCHISON," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Jan 2001.
- BDM: VIC, AUS, Dth 1898 Robert McADIE, reg. Ararat #74, index searched c 1993, copy d/loaded May 2006.
- FreeCensus, UK online at http://www.freecen.org.uk/, 1841 Wick, CAI SCT1841/43 ED 4 Pg 15 hsehold of George & Elisabeth McADIE, extracted May 2006.
- Noel McADIE (44127), "EM McADIE: VIC ex Noel McA," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Rcvd Jun 2006.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Marr. 1848 Robert McADIE and Ann MASON, batch M195048, extracted May 2006.
- Index of births, marriages and deaths, Dth 1897 Ann McADIE, reg Ararat #71, extracted Jan 2000.
- Www CAI, SCT Dth 1898 Robt McADIE, reg. Ararat #74, from Daryl Povey Ballarat Gen. Soc., rcvd May 2006.
- BDM: VIC, AUS, Marr. 1885 Jessie McADIE and Herbert William Plantagenet BROTHERTON, VIC #2689, copy d/loaded May 2006.
- Index of births, marriages and deaths, Via http://online.justice.vic.gov.au/servlet/bdm_home, searched May 2006.
- Www CAI, SCT Sultana, from London 24 Apr 1851, Plymouth 2 May 1851, arrived Port Adelaide, 8 Aug 1851, from assisted immigration to Sth Australia by the British Govt, B ref 1048/1, found on http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/sultana1851.htm, May 2006, Sources: State Library South Australia, official passenger lists, mainly of immigrants arriving in South Australia under United Kingdom assisted passage schemes, 1847-1886 GRG 35/48a (formely ACC 313); Sydney Shipping Gazette; South Australian Registe; The South Australian Government Gazette; Biographical index SA 1836-1885 (the B-index column indicates individuals who may be found in that index, with corresponding reference number for further research).
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", May 2006.
- Sue Collins nee McIntyre, "EM McADIE/BREMNER ex Sue C," e-mail to L Henderson (1), 1841 Census, Hillhead, Wick, hsehold of George & Elizabeth McADIE, extract rcvd May 2006.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", May 2007.
- Noel McADIE (44127), "EM McADIE: VIC ex Noel McA," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Shareholders of the Williams Freehold Gold Mining Company, as listed in the APCA (Ararat & Pleasant Creek Advertiser) of 22 Nov 1872, extract rcvd Jul 2006.
- BDM: VIC, AUS, Dth 1894 Jessie McAdie BROTHERTON, reg. Bright #741, copy d/loaded May 2006.
- BDM: VIC, AUS, Marr. 1885 George McADIE and Catherine McDONALD, VIC #2688, copy d/loaded May 2006.
- Noel McADIE (44127), "EM McADIE: VIC ex Noel McA," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Rcvd Jul 2006.
- Noel McADIE (44127), "EM McADIE: VIC ex Noel McA," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Dth 1897 Ann McADIE nee MASON, from the Ararat and Pleasant Creek Advertiser of 23 Mar 1897, extract rcvd Jun 2006.
- BDM: VIC, AUS, Birth 1861 David Alexander McADIE, #3499, index searched pre 1999.
- Noel McADIE (44127), "EM McADIE: VIC ex Noel McA," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Rcvd Jun 2006 (photo rcvd Nov 2007).
- Noel McADIE (44127), "EM McADIE: VIC ex Noel McA," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Illness 1898 Robert McADIE, from the Ararat and District Hospital Patients Record Book, extract rcvd Jun 2006.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Jun 2013.
- BDM: VIC, AUS, Marr. 1882 David McADIE and Isabella Louisa BONNER, reg. 2328, copy d/loaded May 2006.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.