(circa 1850 - 4 May 1934)
|Father||Robert McAdie2,3 (Dec 1827 - Feb 1898)|
|Mother||Ann Meason2 (cir. 1829 - Mar 1897)|
|Relationship||2nd cousin 3 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataGeorge McAdie was born cir. 1850 Edinburgh, MLN, SCT, (his marr. cert. says Leith.)4,2
George McAdie married Catherine McDonald, daughter of Luke McDonald and Mary Kennedy, on 23 Jun 1885 Ararat, VIC, AUS, cert #2688 shows George as a 35 yr old contractor, residend Ararat, s/o Robert McADIE, carpenter, and Ann MASON, married Catherine 26 yr old servant presently resid. Ararat, usually resid. Horsham, d/o Luke McDONALD, labourer, and Mary ?Kennedy? George b Leith, SCT, Catherine b Deniliquin, NSW. Married at groom's father's place, Ararat. Forms of Presby. ch, witnessed by D McADIE and Jessie McADIE.
Marr. notice: McADIE-McDONALD.-On the 23rd June at the residence of the bridegroom's parents, Ararat, by the Rev. James Megaw, George, eldest son of Robert McAdie, of Wick, Scotland, to Catherine, eldest daughter of the late Luke McDonald, of Canada, America. (The following notice being for George's sister Jessie marrying 25th Jun.)1,2,5
George McAdie died on 4 May 1934 Midland Junction, WA, AUS; McADIE.—On May 4, 1934, at Midland Junction, George McAdie, beloved father of Dolly (Mrs. J. Scott, Midland Junction), Elizabeth (Mrs. A. Genders, Midland Junction), Beatie (Mrs. A. Harwood, Williams), and George (Geraldton); aged 84 years.
THE Son and Daughters of the late MR. GEORGE McADIE wish to THANK all kind friends for letters, telegrams, cards, floral tributes and personal expressions of sympathy in their recent sad bereavement; especially do they wish to thank Dr. Pitcher, Mr. and Mrs. W. Robinson (Loton-avenue, Midland Junction) and Mrs. Kinsman. Will all kind friends accept this as a personal expression of sincere gratitude.4,6,7
MigrationGeorge McAdie immigrated on 8 Aug 1851 on the "Sultana", Port Adelaide, SA, AUS, with Robert McAdie and Nancy McAdie; from either London 24 Apr or Plymouth by 2 May.8,9
Census/Where lived/OccupationsGeorge McAdie appeared on the census of 31 Mar 1851 Hillhead West, Par. of Wick, CAI, SCT, in the household of George MacAdie and Elizabeth McAdie as grandson of George.4,10
By Jun 1885 George McAdie was a contractor Ararat, VIC, AUS.2 In 1901 George and Catherine were living Midland Junction, Perth, WA, AUS, McADIE: George foreman of works; Catherine wife (1901); 1906, Catherine now "home duties".11
In 1925 George McAdie was living 23 Cope St, Midland Junction, Guildford, Swan, WA, AUS, McADIE: George labourer; Catherine Beatrice milliner (dtr.)12
All the other infoGeorge McAdie and Robert McAdie were shown as shareholders of the Williams Freehold Gold Mining Company, Robert with 26 shares and George with 9 on 22 Nov 1872 Ararat, VIC, AUS.13 George McAdie given as the son of Robert McAdie on 3 Feb 1898 in the Hospital, Ararat, County of Ripon, VIC, AUS; cert. #74 shows Robert as a 71 yr old carpenter, s/o George McAdie, farmer, mother "unknown". Inf. son David of Ararat. Reg. Ararat 4th Feb, buried Ararat 5th Feb Presb. Minister officiating; Married Edinburgh at about age 25 to Ann, surname unknown, 40 yrs in Victoria. Issue: George 45, Jessie dead, David 36.14,3,15,16,17
George outlived his wife Catherine McAdie who died on 15 Jan 1918.18,19
External linksClick here to see George's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.20
|Catherine McDonald (1859 - Jan 1918)|
|Charts||Descendants of my direct McADIE line|
|Last Edited||5 Jun 2013|
- BDM: VIC, AUS, From index, pre 1999.
- BDM: VIC, AUS, Marr. 1885 George McADIE and Catherine McDONALD, VIC #2688, copy d/loaded May 2006.
- BDM: VIC, AUS, Dth 1898 Robert McADIE, reg. Ararat #74, index searched c 1993, copy d/loaded May 2006.
- Sue Collins nee McIntyre, "EM McADIE/BREMNER ex Sue C," e-mail to L Henderson (1), 1851 Census, Hillhead, Wick, hsehold of George & Elizabeth McADIE, extract rcvd May 2006.
- Trove - Digitised Newspapers, Marr. 23 Jun 1885 George eldest s/o Robert McADIE (of Wick); Catherine eldest d/o late Luke McDONALD (of Canada), res. of groom's parents, from "Family Notices." The Horsham Times (Vic. : 1882 - 1954) 30 Jun 1885: 2, online at http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article72860922, extracted May 2013.
- Trove - Digitised Newspapers, Bereavement Notices. (1934, May 16). The West Australian (Perth, WA : 1879 - 1954), p. 1. online at http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article33226477, extracted Jun 2013.
- Trove - Digitised Newspapers, Dth 4 May 1934 George McADIE, Midland Junction, WA, from Family Notices. (1934, May 5). The West Australian (Perth, WA : 1879 - 1954), p. 1. online at http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article32993545, extracted Jun 2013.
- Www CAI, SCT Sultana, from London 24 Apr 1851, Plymouth 2 May 1851, arrived Port Adelaide, 8 Aug 1851, from assisted immigration to Sth Australia by the British Govt, B ref 1048/1, found on http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/sultana1851.htm, May 2006, Sources: State Library South Australia, official passenger lists, mainly of immigrants arriving in South Australia under United Kingdom assisted passage schemes, 1847-1886 GRG 35/48a (formely ACC 313); Sydney Shipping Gazette; South Australian Registe; The South Australian Government Gazette; Biographical index SA 1836-1885 (the B-index column indicates individuals who may be found in that index, with corresponding reference number for further research).
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", May 2006.
- Ian AITCHISON, "EM CAI families ex AITCHISON," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Jan 2001 ex 1851 census Parish 43-1, Enum dist 27 /04/27/106.
- AUS (except SA) Electoral Rolls 1901-1936, 1901 & 1906 Midland Junction, Perth, WA: George & Catherine McADIE, extracted Dec 2007.
- AUS (except SA) Electoral Rolls 1901-1936, 1925 Guildford, Swan WA: George & Catherine Beatrice McADIE, extracted Dec 2007.
- Noel McADIE (44127), "EM McADIE: VIC ex Noel McA," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Shareholders of the Williams Freehold Gold Mining Company, as listed in the APCA (Ararat & Pleasant Creek Advertiser) of 22 Nov 1872, extract rcvd Jul 2006.
- FreeCensus, UK online at http://www.freecen.org.uk/, 1841 Wick, CAI SCT1841/43 ED 4 Pg 15 hsehold of George & Elisabeth McADIE, extracted May 2006.
- Www CAI, SCT Dth 1898 Robt McADIE, reg. Ararat #74, from Daryl Povey Ballarat Gen. Soc., rcvd May 2006.
- BDM: VIC, AUS, Marr. 1885 Jessie McADIE and Herbert William Plantagenet BROTHERTON, VIC #2689, copy d/loaded May 2006.
- Index of births, marriages and deaths, Via http://online.justice.vic.gov.au/servlet/bdm_home, searched May 2006.
- Trove - Digitised Newspapers, Funeral Notices.(1918, January 16). The West Australian (Perth, WA : 1879 - 1954), p. 1. online at http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article27466452, extracted Jun 2013.
- Trove - Digitised Newspapers, Family Notices. (1922, January 16). The West Australian (Perth, WA : 1879 - 1954), p. 1. online at http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article28013434, extracted Jun 2013.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Jun 2013.
- Noel McADIE (44127), "EM McADIE: VIC ex Noel McA," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Rcvd Jul 2006.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.