(22 September 1835 - 18 January 1900)
|Father||Donald Manson1 (Jan 1796 - bet. 1841 - 1851)|
|Mother||Isabella Sinclair MacAdie1 (cir. Apr 1800 - Apr 1873)|
|Relationship||3rd great-uncle of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataDonald Manson was born on 22 Sep 1835 Coghill, Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT.1 He was baptized on 1 Nov 1835 Watten, Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT; IGI: s/o "Donald MANSON and Isobel McADIE."2,1
Donald Manson married Mary Jane McKowen, daughter of James McKowen and Margaret UnknownSurname, on 30 Aug 1866 Nokomai, SLD, NZ, Donald MANSON to Jane McKEOWN.3,4
Donald Manson married Isabella Hamilton on 28 Nov 1879 Swift Creek Hotel, Swift Creek, Tapanui, OTG, NZ, Knox ref 21/7/1. Intention to marry rec. BDM 20/24 PRO 34/45 Nov 18 1875, Donald MANSON, widower, hotelkeeper, 49, Swift Creek, Isabella HAMILTON, spinster, housekeeper, about 34, Swift Creek. Length of residence 6 mths, 5mths resp.
Cert. shows Donald MANSON as 44 hotel keeper, widower, Isabella HAMILTON as 34 spinster.5,6
Donald Manson died on 18 Jan 1900 Public Hosp., Dunedin, OTG, NZ, at age 64; c.o.d. pernicious anaemia.7 He was buried on 21 Jan 1900 Riversdale, SLD, NZ.7
MigrationDonald Manson immigrated in 1864 to NZ; via AUS?
Census/Where lived/OccupationsDonald Manson appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 Cogle, Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT, in the household of Donald Manson and Bel Manson.9,10
Donald Manson appeared on the census of 1851 Watten Mill, Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT, enumerated as Donald MANSON, 12, servant in hsehold of Peter & Jane McADAM.11 He was not found in the census of 1861 Gersa(y), Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT, where rest of family were.
By cir. 1864 Donald Manson was a goldminer West Otago, OTG, NZ.12
The electoral roll of 1871 records Donald Manson Yankee Gully, Switzers, SLD, NZ, '2 roomed house, thatched.13'
Fr 1879 - 1881 Donald was hotel keeper Swift Creek Hotel, Swift Creek, Tapanui, OTG, NZ.5
The electoral roll of 1896 records Donald Manson and Donald Manson Riversdale, SLD, NZ, MANSON: Donald, storekeeper; Donald Jr, storeman (Wakatipu, OTG electorate.)14,15
Wills/bequestsHis estate was probated in 1900 Invercargill, SLD, NZ; Probate file contains will of Donald MANSON, merchant of Riversdale. Executor son Donald MANSON;
Donald had to build and furnish a 2 roomed house for his mother; Piano to niece Edith Jane HALL; Estate (?less business shared with son?) divided into 3 shares, 2 shares to son Donald MANSON,remaining equally divided amongst daughters: Mary Jane HALL wife of Wilson HALL, Isabella Sinclair HAMILTON wife of Robert HAMILTON, Margaret PATERSON wife of William Hugh PATERSON.16
External linksDonald Manson belongs to a DNA tested line. There may be more information available on DNASurnames under the DNA project for his/her surname/line.
|Mary Jane McKowen (Dec 1838 - Nov 1878)|
|Isabella Hamilton (cir. 1845 - Oct 1923)|
|Charts||Descendants of my direct McADIE line|
Ancestors & siblings of Les Henderson
|Last Edited||26 Jan 2022|
- Birth baptism marriage: Watten, CAI Dist 43/2, Baptisms 1828 thru 1840 children Donald MANSON & Isabella McADIE, transcr. Sep 1994.
- 1993 IGI extract - MANSON, CAI, SCT, Batch C110422-?-990557, extracted Aug 2003.
- NZ births deaths marriages (index on fiche), Marr. 1866 Donald MANSON to Jane McKEOWN, Folio #1927, extracted Mar 2002.
- Carol HURST (4684), "MANSON/MacADIE ex Carol HURST," e-mail to Lorna Henderson.
- Intention to Marry, Donald MANSON & Isabella HAMILTON of 28 Nov 1879 BDM 20/24 PRO 34/45 Nov 18 1875.
- NZ births deaths marriages (index on fiche), Marr. 1879 Donald MANSON & Isabella HAMILTON, folio #2972, extracted Mar 2002.
- Death Cert. 1900 Donald MANSON, Dunedin, Dth 18 Jan 1900 Donald MANSON, aged 64, Dunedin Public Hosp., cert. sighted.
- Papers Past (NZ National Library) online at http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/, Obit 18 Oct 1904 Donald MANSON, (lists birthplace, stations managed etc), from Mataura Ensign , Issue 1399, 18 October 1904, Page 2, extracted Sep 2014.
- 1841 Census, CAI, SCT, Watten Dist 1 Sched 9 (Mellor index) #44, rechecked Sep/Oct 1994/5.
- Letter, Carole MELLOR to Lorna Henderson, From 1841 Census, Watten, rcvd Feb 1994.
- 1851 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Watten CAI; Par. 42 ED: 1; Page: 22; hsehold of Peter & Jane McADAM, extracted Jul 2013.
- Carol HURST (4684), "MANSON/MacADIE ex Carol HURST," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, 1864 Donald MANSON, gold miner, West Otago.
- 1853+ Electoral Roll, New Zealand, 1871 Donald MANSON, Yankee Gully hsehold, living Switzers, Wakaia Electorate, OTG,.
- Carol HURST (4684), "MANSON/MacADIE ex Carol HURST," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Donald MANSON, storekeeper at Riversdale.
- 1853+ Electoral Roll, New Zealand, 1896 Donald MANSON, storekeeper, Riversdale (Donald Jr, storeman), Waktipu Electorate, OTG, extracted Jul 2013,.
- NZ Archives: Probate Files , Probate (17 Feb 1900) / Will (30 May 1899, Riversdale) Donald MANSON, merchant, Agency DAFG Accession D328 Series 9066 #1049 (images pp 922 to 940 of 1184), extracted Feb 2018.
- BDM: NZ historical indexes online at http://bdmhistoricalrecords.identityservices.govt.nz/Search, Birth 30 Jan 1868 Donald s/o Donald & Jane MANSON, ref. 1868/35146, extracted Jun 2019.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.