(circa 1774 - 25 December 1856)
|Father||Andrew Graham (cir. Apr 1736 - cir. Apr 1801); The initial tentative id of Andrew as Stephen's father was based on the 1774 baptism in Bewcastle of a Stephen to an Andrew and Jane Routledge of Craggs actually being the same Andrew & Jane Graham of Craggs a year or so before. This baptism entry "mistake" of the wrong surname being reinforced by the will of Andrew's brother Grimston who refers to Steven as "son of my late brother Andrew" and absence of any evidence saying a Routledge couple of this name existed in the area at this time2,3,4|
|Mother||Jane Graham (say 1736 - aft. 1804); The tentative id of Jane as the mother of Stephen is based on the 1774 baptism in Bewcastle of a Stephen to an Andrew and Jane Routledge of Craggs actually being the same Andrew & Jane Graham of Craggs a year or so before2,3|
|Relationship||3rd great-grandfather of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataAccording to the census of 1851 Stephen was born cir. 1774 Bewcastle, CUL, ENG, but when I checked the BTs for Bewcastle, then Nichol forest and Arthuret, for the period 1770 to 1779 I couldn't spot him. His death cert. corroborates this birth year.5,6
Stephen Graham married Jane Baty, daughter of William Baty and Sarah Baty (V2b2), on 13 Aug 1805 Arthuret, CUL, ENG, the brief entry for marriage #128 showing they were married by license by John James, curate, in presence of Thomas Bowman & John Beaty.7
Stephen Graham died on 25 Dec 1856 English St, Longtown, CUL, ENG; the cert showing him as aged 82, a road labourer, who died of old age, with no medical attendant. Informant was Mary Graham (assumed to be his dtr), X her mark, present at the death. Reg. 26th Dec.6 He was buried on 28 Dec 1856 at Arthuret, Cumberland.8,9
Census/Where lived/OccupationsBy Jul 1805 Stephen Graham was living Fauld, nr Longtown, Par. of Arthuret, CUL, ENG, when he and Jane's illegitimate son Andrew was baptized (Jane was at the next door farm of Hornick Hill.)11 By Apr 1810 Stephen and Jane Graham were living Hornick Hill, nr Longtown, Par. of Arthuret, CUL, ENG, when son William baptized, with subsequent baptisms simply stating Longtown.12
By Oct 1815 Stephen Graham was a labourer Longtown, CUL, ENG, when dtr Mary baptized.13
Stephen Graham appeared on the census of 1841 Main St, Longtown, CUL, ENG, as GRAHAM: Stephen 65 ag lab, William 30 ag lab, May (sic) 20, Edward 5 mos (possibly Mary's son?) (NB enumerators were instructed to round ages down to the nearest multiple of 5.)14
The census of 1851 showed Stephen, with his son William, his dtr Mary, his grdson David Graham, English St, Longtown, CUL, ENG, enumerated as GRAHAM: Stephen 77 ag lab, b Bewcastle; Children (both b Longtown): William 40 unm ag lab; Mary 36 housekeeper; Grdson: David 10 scholar b Longtown (next hsehold was an Ellen Graham, unm, 56 with grdson Geo, 11, both b Longtown, and the one after that was the hsehold of Mary Beaty/Baty, widow of Stephen's brother-in-law Andrew Baty.5)
Wills/bequestsStephen Graham were named as beneficiaries in the 9 Apr 1804 will of their uncle Richard Graham Turnmill Street, Par. of Saint James, Clerkenwell, MDX, ENG.15
In the will of Grimston Graham dated 18 Nov 1808 Fauld, nr Longtown, Par. of Arthuret, CUL, ENG, Stephen Graham were left legacies great niece Abigal Scafe (d/o "Will. Scafe & Fanny Scafe his wife") receiving £50 (part of Grimston's legacy from his brother Richard), nephew Steven (son of late brother Andrew) the oak press, niece Faney Scafe (dtr of brother David) the clock and case, niece Abigal Scafe (d/o sister Jeney) a set of silver tea spoons and sugar tongs.4
All the other infoStephen Graham witnessed the marriage of his cousin Frances Graham to William Scaife on 19 May 1808 Arthuret, CUL, ENG.2,16 Stephen Graham was the informant for the birth of David Graham on 28 Nov 1840 Longtown, CUL, ENG; cert. shows David as s/o Mary Graham, no father shown, inf. X the mark of Stephen Graham, Longtown, (his grandfather although no relationship shown) present at the birth, reg. 7 Dec in the Sub dist of Low Longtown, County of Cumberland.17,5,18,19
External linksClick here to see Stephen's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.20
|Jane Baty (cir. Aug 1778 - cir. Oct 1826)|
|Charts||My pedigree chart|
Maternal ancestors of Lorna
Ellen TURNBULL's ancestors
|Last Edited||15 Feb 2015|
- Certificate, James TURNBULL (17) and Jane GRAHAM (16) marriage of 02 Jun 1852 PR 177/3 Nichol Forest marriages Scanned Mar 2006.
- RootsChat Msge Board online at http://www.rootschat.com, Will 1810 Grimston GRAHAM of Fauld, extract posted Feb 2007 by Bridget, extracted Feb 2007.
- Bridget C, "EM CUL Families: Bridget C," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Bewcastle baptisms to Andrew & Jane of Craggs, rcvd Feb 2007.
- Will 1808: Grimston GRAHAM (8/11/1808) W801: Copy rcvd Apr 2007.
- 1851 Census, Longtown, CUL, ENG, Longtown, Dist of Arthuret, CUL HO107/2428 ED 5a Sched 16, hsehold of Stephen GRAHM, extracted Aug 1994, rechecked Jan 2007.
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Dth 1856 Stephen GRAHAM, reg. Longtown Dec qtr 10b/217, copy rcvd Apr 1995, scanned Mar 2006.
- Bishop's Transcripts: births burials marriages, Arthuret, CUL, ENG, Marr. 1805 Stephen GRAHM and Jane BATY, extracted Aug 1994.
- Bridget C, "EM CUL Families: Bridget C," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Bur. Stephen GRAHAM, Arthuret burial registers, rcvd Feb 2007.
- FamilySearch Labs Record Search (LDS) online at http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/, Bur. 28 Dec 1856 Stephen GRAHAM, Arthuret, CUL, from England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991 batch I03671-8 film 1471997, extracted Oct 2013.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Jan 2007, updated Feb 2015.
- PR 177/18 (& BTs) Arthuret baptisms, Baptisms: GRAHAM S/BATTY, J, Longtown, CUL, 1813 to 1835: Extracted Aug 1994, Carlisle Record Office.
- Bishop's Transcripts: births burials marriages, Arthuret, CUL, ENG, Bap. 1810 William to Stephen GRAHAM, extracted Aug 1994.
- Bishop's Transcripts: births burials marriages, Arthuret, CUL, ENG, Bap. 1815 Mary to Stephen & Jane GRAHAM, extracted Aug 1994.
- 1841 CENSUS: CUL 1841, CUL, ENG, Longtown, Sub Dist Low Longtown, Par. of Arthuret, Eskdale Hundred, CUL, HO107/167/3 Folio 6 ED 1 Pg 6, hsehold of Stephen GRAHAM, extracted Aug 1994 rechecked Jan 2007.
- Probate 1804 Richard GRAHAM of Turnmill St, Clerkenwell, MDX, proved London, 30 Jun Probate 11/1410, copy d/loaded Apr 2007.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Marr. 1808 Frances GRAHAM & William SCAIFE, batch M042992, Arthuret, film 6904627, extracted Feb 2007.
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Birth 28 Nov 1840 David GRAHAM, s/o Mary GRAHAM, reg. 7 Dec 1840 Sub Dist Low Longtown, CUL, copy rcvd May 2008.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Birth 1840 David GRAHAM, reg. Longtown, Dec qtr 25/117, extracted Jan 2007.
- GenesReunited online at http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/, Tree of Gary GRAHAM, extracted Apr 2008.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct 2011.
- PR 177/18 (& BTs) Arthuret baptisms, Baptisms: GRAHAM S/BATTY, J, Longtown, CUL, 1813 to 1835: Bap. 1805 Andrew to Stephen GRAHAM & Jane BATY, extracted Aug 1994, Carlisle Record Office.
- FamilySearch Labs Record Search (LDS) online at http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/, Bap. 10th (and 13th) Dec 1812 Dth 28 Dec 1812 Sarah d/o Stephen GRAHAM & Jane BEATY, Arthuret, CUL, fro England Births and Christenings, batch C04299-2 film 90557, 90558, 90559, extracted Oct 2013.
- PR 177/18 (& BTs) Arthuret baptisms, Baptisms: GRAHAM S/BATTY, J, Longtown, CUL, 1813 to 1835, Carlisle Record Office.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.