(say 1736 - after 1804)
|Father||Ellin Graham6,4 (bef. 1715 - )|
|Relationship||4th great-grandmother of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataJane Graham was born say 1736 Lake, Par. of Kirkandrews upon Esk, CUL, ENG, this estimate assumes she is the same age as her husband. The only two Jane's on the IGI within 10 yrs of 1736 at Kirkandrews upon Esk were 1728 d/o Richard and 1726 dtr of John. Broadening the search to other parishes provided an Arthuret 1727 to Johanis & Janae Graham and a 1727 Kirklinton to John, none of whom could be miraculously transformed into anything resembling "Ellin".1
Jane Graham married Andrew Graham, son of Stephen Graham and Abigail Rea, on 13 Jul 1765 Kirkandrews upon Esk, CUL, ENG, the IGI has three Cumberland Andrew/Jane marriages within 20 years of 1774 (Stephen's birth), two are in the 1780s and therefore too late (Jane Graham Kirklinton, and 1785 Jane Collin at Plumbland, so my current favourite is the 1765 one at Kirkandrews upon Esk to yet another Jane Graham. The Kirkandrews-on-Esk marriage entry reads: Andrew Graham of the Parish of Arthuret and County of Cumberland, a batchelor and Jane Graham of this Parish of Kirkandrews upon Esk, Spinster were married in this church by licence 17 July 1765. Witnesses William Graham & Elizabeth Wilson her mark", which places this Andrew in the right parish. And then the Carlisle Marriage Bonds clinched the id for me: Andrew Graham of Fald, Parish of Arthuret, Husbandman Jane Graham of Lake, Parish of Kirkandrews upon Eske, Bondsman William Graham of Carlisle, Shoemaker (the Record Office adding that the Dormont Book Carlisle shows William Graham was the son of Ellin Graham of Lake, and almost certainly Jane's brother.)1,3,5,4
Jane Graham died aft. 1804 ?Moorhouse, Par. of Kirklinton, CUL, ENG.7
Census/Where lived/OccupationsIn Jul 1765 Jane Graham was living Lake, Par. of Kirkandrews upon Esk, CUL, ENG.4 Fr 1765 - 1774 Jane Graham was living Craggs, Bewcastle, CUL, ENG, where two children were baptised. By Apr 1789 Andrew and Jane Graham were living Wabeyhole, CUL, ENG, when Craggs sold to James Nixon.8
Wills/bequestsJane Graham was a beneficiary of the will of Richard Graham on 9 Apr 1804 Turnmill Street, Par. of Saint James, Clerkenwell, MDX, ENG, being described as Richard's sister-in-law, widow of his brother Andrew, late of Moorhouse and "the said last mentioned Sum of one hundred pounds shall be paid into the hands of the said Abigail Graham for the use and benefit of her said Mother if she shall be living."7
All the other infoJane Graham was considered as a potential duplicate of Jane Graham, but this has been discounted; one Jane the widow of Andrew Graham who used to own Craggs and may have moved to Kirklinton, the other a widow Jane Graham, of Slackheads, Kirklinton, who purchased Craggs in Apr 1801 from James Nixon (and went on to marry a Walter Irwen, who owned Craggs from 1819t o 1823. However, as there is a MI in Kirklinton for a James Graham of Slackhead who died 1800 aged 75, this seems a more likely husband for the latter Jane.9
|Andrew Graham (cir. Apr 1736 - cir. Apr 1801)|
|Charts||My pedigree chart|
Ancestors (& their siblings) of Alice HENDERSON nee ANDREWS
Maternal ancestors of Lorna
Ellen TURNBULL's ancestors
|Last Edited||28 Jun 2007|
- RootsChat Msge Board online at http://www.rootschat.com, Will 1810 Grimston GRAHAM of Fauld, extract posted Feb 2007 by Bridget, extracted Feb 2007.
- Bridget C, "EM CUL Families: Bridget C," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Bap. 1774 Stephen to Andrew & Jane ROUTLEDGE of Craggs, rcvd Feb 2007.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Marr. 1765 Andrew GRAHAM & Jane GRAHAM, batch M043161, Kirk Andrews Upon Esk, CUL, extracted Feb 2007.
- Carlisle Marriage Bonds (DRC7/4): Marr. Bond 1765 Andrew GRAHAM of Fald, Arthuret & Jane GRAHAM of Lake, Kirkandrews upon Eske, transcr. by Cumbria Research Services, rcvd Apr 2007.
- Baptisms marriages burials: KirkAndrews upon Esk, CUL, ENG, Marr. 1765 Andrew GRAHAM of Arthuret & Jane GRAHAM, of Kirkandrews upon Esk, transcr. rcvd from Carlisle RO, Apr 2007, JAC1139.
- Dormont Book, William GRAHAM of Carlisle, extract from Cumbria Research Services, rcvd Apr 2007.
- Probate 1804 Richard GRAHAM of Turnmill St, Clerkenwell, MDX, proved London, 30 Jun Probate 11/1410, copy d/loaded Apr 2007.
- Carolyn R, "EM: GRAHAM of CUL ex Carolyn," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Craigs, Bewcastle, extracted from the Manor Court Book of Nicol Forest by Mike JACKSON of the Bewcastle Heritage Society (http://www.genuki.org.uk:8080/big/eng/CUL/Bewcastle/…), rcvd Mar 2007.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Apr 2007.
- Bridget C, "EM CUL Families: Bridget C," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Bewcastle baptisms to Andrew & Jane of Craggs, rcvd Feb 2007.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Bap. 1776 Margaret to Andrew & Jane GRAHAM, batch C057991, Kirklinton, CUL Film 6904805, extracted Feb 2007.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Bap. 1777 William to Andrew & Jane GRAHAM, batch C057991, Kirklinton, CUL Film 6904805, extracted Feb 2007.
- Baptisms marriages burials: Kirklinton, CUL, ENG, Baptisms to Andrew & Jane GRAHAM, of Astenby, extracts rcvd from Carlisle RO, Apr 2007, JAC1147.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.