(circa January 1819 - 1 October 1907)
|Father||Stephen Graham4,5 (cir. 1774 - Dec 1856)|
|Mother||Jane Baty5 (cir. Aug 1778 - cir. Oct 1826)|
|Relationship||2nd great-grandmother of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataJane Graham was born cir. Jan 1819 Longtown, CUL, ENG.5 She was baptized on 17 Jan 1819 Longtown, Par. of Arthuret, CUL, ENG; Jane, dtr of Stephen, labourer of Longtown, & Jane (late Batty) Graham.5,3
Jane Graham married James Turnbull, son of Robert Turnbull and Eleanor Scott, on 22 Jun 1852 Chapel, Nichol Forest, CUL, ENG, Entry no. 2 June 22nd 1852 reads: Marriage solemnized at the chapel in the chapelry of Nicholforest in the County of Cumberland: James, of full age, resident Rigg Gate, father Robert Turnbull joiner Jane Graham, of full age, resident Penton House, father Stephen Graham, farmer. Married in the chapel of Nicholforest according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Church of England by Liscense by me, John ?Harrop?. Both signatures present, witnesses Francis Armstrong, Eleanor Turnbull (assumed to be James sister.)4,6,7,3
Jane Graham died on 1 Oct 1907 Resid. George G Andrews, Waitara, TNK, NZ; Dth cert: folio 2657: #15 1st Oct 1907 Waitara, Jane Turnbull, domestic duties, aged 87 (sic) of senile decay last seen by Goade 25 Aug 1907. Father Graham (occupation, forenames and mother's name "not known") buried 4th Oct 1907 Huirangi Cem. Minister Robt Wells, lay reader Ch. of Eng. Born Longtown, Cumberland, England, length of residence in NZ not known. Married Cumberland at age 33 to James Turnbull. Three children surviving: M 55, 50 F; 53 (Robert, Stephen and Ellen). Inf. George Hall undertaker, Lepperton. Registered 11 Oct 1907. Her Dth notice 4th Oct 1907 read: "TURNBULL, On October 1st, 1907 at Waitara, Jane, relict of the late Jas. Turnbull of Huirangi; aged 88 years"
Probate file affidavit of undertaker adds that Jane died at the residence of her son-in-law George Gibson Andrews at Waitara.3,8,9 She was buried on 4 Oct 1907 Huirangi Cem., nr Waitara, TNK, NZ, burial records say 'beside husband' This cemetery is in a lovely spot with an outlook over the Waitara River above the horseshoe bend, and, on a clear day, a wonderful view of Mt Egmont (or Mt Taranaki as it is now known). The cemetery gates were donated by Jane's grandchildren Andrew and Sarah Turnbull. Most of my Taranaki forbears are buried in this cemetery.3
MigrationJames and Jane Turnbull immigrated from Liverpool, 25 Aug 1862 on the "Great Australia" arriving 16 Sep 1862 Melbourne,VIC,AUS the Passenger List showing: TURNBULL: James 41, farmer; Jane 40 wife; Robt 9, Ellen 7, Stephen 5, James 3, all English. On same schedule, appearing to travel with the family: Ellen WILLEY 18;
Master: Baker, 25 Apr 1862, declared he had sufficient provisions on board for the 515 statute adults and a voyage of 140 days before they left Liverpool.10
James and Jane Turnbull emigrated 10 Aug 1866 on the "Tararua" from Melbourne, VIC, AUS to New Zealand - assumed to be to Wellington. TURNBULL: Mr James 45, marr; Mrs James 40; Robert 11, Ellen 10, Stephen 9 in the index of they voyage.
Progress of the voyage can be traced via newspaper shipping reports of the time:
18 Aug 1866 the Wellington Independent reported the expected arrival of the 'Tararua' "from Melbourne via the South" on the 23rd, expected departures 'Tararua' for Melbourne via Nelson and Hokitika, 23rd
21 Aug 1866 the Christchurch Press expected the 'Tararua' from Melbourne via the Bluff and Dunedin on or about Wed, expected departure on Thurs
24 Aug 1866 the Press reported that the 'Tararua' had sailed from Lyttelton for Wellington "steerage :1 and 120 original"
26 Aug 1866 the Wellington Independent provided a passenger list (not steerage), and a summary of the voyage of the P.N.Z. & A.R.M. Co.'s Steamship Tararua: departed Hobson Bay 4pm 10th, arr. Bluff 8am 16th, leaving 2pm. arr. Port Chalmers at daylight 17th (Fri), leaving 4:30 on the 21st (Tue); arr. Lyttelton 8:30am 22nd, leaving 6:15pm Thurs (23rd); arr. Wellington Harbour 11am 'yesterday' (24th).
James' dth cert. implies he arrived in NZ abt 1862, perhaps someone interpreted the question as when did he leave England.
Ellen's dth cert implies she arrived in NZ in 1864, a good compromise between the 1862 arrival in Australia and 1866 arrival in NZ.
It is assumed they disembarked at Wellington, although Nelson might also be a possibility. Bluff, Otago, Lyttelton and Hokitika seem unlikely.11,12,13,14,15,1,7,16
Census/Where lived/OccupationsJane Graham appeared on the census of 1841 Riddings, Township of Moat, Par. of Kirkandrews upon Esk, CUL, ENG, as Jane Graham 20 F S b cty, hsehold of John (farmer 30) & Mary Saunders (NB enumerators were instructed to round ages down to the nearest multiple of 5.)17
Jane Graham appeared on the census of 1851 Penton, Nichol Forest, Dist of Longtown, CUL, ENG, enumerated as Jane Graham, 29, cook, b Longtown, servant to widower George Tinniswood, physician not practising. The next census entries being for the families living at Haithwaite Gate where Jane's future husband resided.18,19
In Jun 1852 Jane Graham was living Penton House, CUL, ENG.4
In Mar 1853 Jane and James were living Haithwaite Gate, Nichol Forest, CUL, ENG.20
The census of 7 Apr 1861 showed Jane with her husband James, their sons Robert, Stephen and James, their dtr Ellen Rigg Gate, Nichol Forest, CUL, ENG, household enumerated as TURNBULL: James head mar 38 joiner b Kirkandrews on Esk, CUL; wife Jane 38 joiner's wife b Longtown; Children (all b Kirkandrews on Esk): Robert 8; Ellen 6 (both scholars); Stephen 5; James 2; Boarders: Henry Percy, 36; William Bain 36; Thomas Finlay 19 all mineral borers b SCT; plus two labouers and a carter (all b SCT.)21
Wills/bequestsJane Turnbull left a will on 16 Dec 1896 New Plymouth, TNK, NZ, "I Jane Turnbull of the Huirangi District in the Provincial District of Taranaki in New Zealand Widow declare this to be my last Will and Testament hereby revoking all former testamentary writings I give devize and bequeath all my real and personal property whatsoever and wherever situate unto my son Stephen Turnbull of the Huirangi District aforesaid Farmer absolutely And I appoint my said son Stephen Turnbull sole Executor of this my will. In witness whereof I have hereto signed my name this Sixteenth day of December one thousand eight hundred and ninety-six.9 Her estate was probated on 7 Dec 1907 New Plymouth, TNK; "In Chambers, before Mr. Justice Denniston, probate of the will of the late Jane Tunilmll, of Huirangi, was granted on the application of Mr. George Grey, of Wilson and Grey."
Probate file contains affidavits from sole executor, son Stephen, that he will pay all debts etc, and from undertaker George HALL of Lepperton "THAT I knew Jane Turnbull late of Huirangi in Taranaki aforesaid widow when alive, and that the said Jane Turnbull was resident within this District, and the said Jane Turnbull died at the residence of her son-in-law George Gibson Andrews, at Waitara in this District, on or about the first day of October 1907" (sworn New Plymouth 30 Nov.)22,9
External linksClick here to see Jane's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.23
Jane Graham belongs to a DNA tested line. There may be more information available on DNASurnames under the DNA project for his/her surname/line.
|James Turnbull (Jun 1820 - Mar 1891)|
|Charts||My pedigree chart|
Maternal ancestors of Lorna
Ellen TURNBULL's ancestors
|Last Edited||30 Nov 2016|
- Ellen TURNBULL (10), DC ANDREWS, Ellen nee TURNBULL 1926, Dth 1926 Ellen ANDREWS nee TURNBULL, inspection p/copy held, rcvd Apr 1993.
- Bishops Transcripts Nichol Forest, CUL, ENG, Baptisms of children of Jane GRAHAM and James TURNBULL: Bap. 1854 Elen TURNBULL, p/copy taken Sep 1994 held by L McIntosh, Carlisle Record Office.
- Jane TURNBULL (16), DC Turnbull, Jane, 1907, Waitara, original inspection cert held by Marie C, Edgecombe, p/copy rcvd Aug 1993.
- Certificate, James TURNBULL (17) and Jane GRAHAM (16) marriage of 02 Jun 1852 PR 177/3 Nichol Forest marriages Scanned Mar 2006.
- PR 177/18 (& BTs) Arthuret baptisms, Baptisms: GRAHAM S/BATTY, J, Longtown, CUL, 1813 to 1835, Carlisle Record Office.
- Taranaki Herald clippings or NP Index, 4 Oct 1907 Dth notice Jane TURNBULL p/copy taken Nov 1993 held L McIntosh.
- James TURNBULL (17), DC Turnbull, James, 1891, Inspection p/copy held by L McIntosh, rcvd from Marie C, Edgecombe, Aug 1993.
- Taranaki Herald clippings or NP Index, Dth notice 4 Oct 1907 Jane TURNBULL p/copy taken Nov 1993 held L McIntosh.
- NZ Archives: Probate Files , Will/Probate file Mrs Jane TURNBULL, from New Plymouth probate files, 1867-1981, Agency: ABAJ Accession: W4079 Series: 21954 Item: R14560805 Box:16 Record: 1167 Images: 139 to149, copy d/loaded Nov 2016.
- VIC (AUS): Assisted & Unassisted Passenger Lists, 1839-1923 by AUS PRO Victoria online at ancestry.com, "Great Australia" dep. 15 Apr (Liverpool) arr. 16 Sep (Melbourne) 1862 James, Jane, Robert, Ellen, Stephen, James TURNBULL, extracted Mar 2016.
- Assorted indexes, NZ Soc. Gen. Index, "Tararua" 10 Aug 1866 Mr & Mrs James TURNBULL, Robert, Ellen, Stephen, dep. Melbourne, travelling steerage, extracted Mar 2016.
- Papers Past (NZ National Library) online at http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/, Expected shipping arrivals and departures, Wellington Independent, Volume XXI, Issue 2403, 18 August 1866, Page 4, extracted Mar 2016.
- Papers Past (NZ National Library) online at http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/, Expected shipping arrivals and departures, Press, Volume X, Issue 1182, 21 August 1866, Page 2, extracted Mar 2016.
- Papers Past (NZ National Library) online at http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/, Expected shipping arrivals and departures, Press, Volume X, Issue 1185, 24 August 1866, Page 2, extracted Mar 2016.
- Papers Past (NZ National Library) online at http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/, "Tararua" 25 Aug 1866, voyage report, from Wellington Independent, Volume XXI, Issue 2406, 25 August 1866, Page 4, extracted Mar 2016.
- Papers Past (NZ National Library) online at http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/, Passenger List "Tararua", Wellington Independent, Volume XXI, Issue 2406, 26 August 1866, Page 4, extracted Mar 2016.
- 1841 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Moat, Kirkandrews upon Esk, Dist of Longtown, Eskdale Hundred, CUL HO107/169 ED 8 Pg 4, hsehold of John & Mary SAUNDERS, copy d/loaded May 2006.
- 1851 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Nichol Forest, Dist of Longtown, CUL HO107/2428 ED 9 Folio 111 Pg 4 Sched 14, hsehold of George ?Tinniswood?, copy d/loaded May 2006.
- Bridget C, "EM CUL Families: Bridget C," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, confirmation of hoh surname, rcvd Feb 2007.
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Birth 1853 Robert TURNBULL, reg Longtown Jun qtr 10b/331, copy rcvd Nov 2005.
- 1861 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Nichol Forest, CUL Dist 8 RG9/3910 Folio 90 Page 15 Schedule #49 (1st of two numbered 49), hsehold of James & Jane TURNBULL, copy d/loaded May 2005.
- Papers Past (NZ National Library) online at http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/, Probate granted 23 Dec 1907 Jane TURNBULL, of Huirangi, from LOCAL AND GENERAL.,Taranaki Daily News, Volume L, Issue 302, 23 December 1907, online at http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/TDN19071223.2.7, extracted Nov 2016.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct 2011.
- Bishops Transcripts Nichol Forest, CUL, ENG, Baptisms of children of Jane GRAHAM and James TURNBULL: Bap. 1852 Robert TURNBULL: p/copy taken Aug 1994 held by L McIntosh, Carlisle Record Office.
- Bishops Transcripts Nichol Forest, CUL, ENG, Baptisms of children of Jane GRAHAM and James TURNBULL: Bap. 1856 Stephen TURNBULL: p/copy taken Aug 1994 held by L McIntosh, Carlisle Record Office.
- Bishops Transcripts Nichol Forest, CUL, ENG, Baptisms of children of Jane GRAHAM and James TURNBULL: Bap. 1858 James TURNBULL: p/copy taken Aug 1994 held by L McIntosh, Carlisle Record Office.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.