(circa 1780 - 28 September 1846)
|Relationship||3rd great-grandmother of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataEleanor Scott was born cir. 1780 Stapleton?, CUL, ENG, Eleanor's headstone and rounded 1841 census aged imply a birth around 1780, possibly in Stapleton if she was born where she married.(Birth not obvious on Stapleton Bishop's Transcripts (BTs).
NB this age differs from my previous estimate of 1788 taken from a misreading of the 1841 census age as a specific 53 rather than a rounded 55.1,2,3
Eleanor Scott married Robert Turnbull, son of Walter Turnbull and Elizabeth Dickson, on 28 Mar 1811 Stapleton, CUL, ENG, the entry in the Bishop's Transcripts reading: Robert Turnbull of Dikehead in the Parish of Kirkandrews and Elenor Scott of this Parish, (Stapleton) were married in this church by licence this twenty eigth day of March 1811 By me John Topping Curate. Witnesses Thomas Scott and Elenor Turnbull (assumed to be their respective siblings). Signed Robert Turnbull and Elenor Scot's Mark.4
Eleanor Turnbull died on 28 Sep 1846 Riggcommon Gate, Nicholforest, CUL, ENG; reg. Longtown 1847 Qtr 2 vol 25 p125 cert 353 reads: twenty eigth of September 1846 at Riggcommon Gate, Nicholforest, Eleanor Turnbull, 66 wife of Robert Turnbull, joiner, of phthisis, 2 yrs duration, not certified, inf. Robert Turnbull, of Riggcommon Gate, Nicholforest, present at the dth. Registered 2nd April 1847 (which seems a tad long after the dth.)5,6 She was buried with Robert Turnbull Canonbie, DFS, SCT, Erected IMO Walter s/o Robert & Helen Turnbull of Hathetgate who died Oct 24th 1826 aged 4 yrs. Also Elizabeth their dtr who d. 15th Oct 1836 aged 22 yrs. Also above Helen Turnbull who d. 28th Sep 1846 aged 66 yrs. And above Robert Turnbull who died May 7th 1854 aged 82 yrs.2
Census/Where lived/OccupationsIn Mar 1811 Eleanor Scott was living in the Par. of Stapleton, CUL, ENG.4
Ellenor appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 Glendinning Rigg Gate, Par. of Kirkandrews upon Esk, CUL, ENG, with Robert Turnbull, as Turnbull: Robert 65 joiner; Ellenor 55; James 15; Eleanor 14 All born county. (The places immediately before were Rigg Gate, Dikehead and Beyond the wood, after were Glendinning Rigg and Haithwaite Gate then Penton.) (NB instructions to the enumerators for this census were to round ages to the nearest multiple of 5, children tended to have their ages accurately recorded - or at least as accurate as such things can be. These instructions were not always followed.)1,9
NamesEleanor Scott was also known as Nelly and her name also appears in records as Elenor and Ellenor.
All the other infoRobert and Helen were predeceased by their son Walter Turnbull on 24 Oct 1826; when he was 4 (at "Hathetgate.")2 Robert and Helen were predeceased by their dtr Elizabeth Turnbull on 15 Oct 1836.2
External linksClick here to see Eleanor's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.
|Robert Turnbull (cir. Jan 1774 - May 1854)|
|Charts||My pedigree chart|
Maternal ancestors of Lorna
Ellen TURNBULL's ancestors
|Last Edited||4 Apr 2016|
- 1841 Census transcriptions, Kirkandrews upon Esk, CUL, ENG, Dist 9, extracted Aug 1994.
- Bridget C, "EM CUL Families: Bridget C," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, TURNBULL MI at Canonbie, ex 1960s transcr by GILCHRIST, rcvd Aug 2007; Photo rcvd Nov 2009.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Nov 2013.
- Bishop's Transcripts, Stapleton, CUL, ENG, Mar. 1811 Robert TURNBULL/Eleanor SCOTT, p/copy held, taken Aug 1994.
- DTH INDEX: St Caths:, Dth Eleanor TURNBULL, searched Apr 2003.
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Dth 1846 Eleanor TURNBULL nee SCOTT, copy rcvd Aug 2004.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Oct 2013.
- Bridget C, "EM CUL Families: Bridget C," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Children of Robert SCOTT & Margaret CORRY, Arthuret, CUL, BTsrcvd Sep 2007.
- 1841 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Civil Parish: Kirkandrews Upon Esk; Sub Dist High Longtown, Dist Longtown, CUL, HO107; Piece: 169; Book: 10; ED: 9; Folio: 7; Page: 10; hsehold of Robert & Ellenor TURNBULL, rechecked from image, Oct 2013.
- J A Venn, Alumni Cantabrigienses Part II 1752-1900, Robert TURNBULL, St John's, 1845-1849, p/copy of entry rcvd Feb 2006.
- Baptisms: Nichol Forest, CUL, ENG, Bap. 1814 Elizabeth to Robert & Eleanor TURNBULL, of Cuddies Town, extracted Aug 1994 (1813 to 1835), PR177/18.
- Baptisms: Nichol Forest, CUL, ENG, Bap. 1817 John TURNBULL, son of Robert and Eleanor, extracted Aug 1994 (1813 to 1835), PR177/18.
- Baptisms: Nichol Forest, CUL, ENG, Bap. 1822 Walter TO Robert & Eleanor TURNBULL, of Hathwaite Gate, Nichol Forest, extracted Aug 1994 (1813 to 1835), PR177/18.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.