(circa January 1774 - 7 May 1854)
|Father||Walter Turnbull3 (cir. Jun 1745 - aft. 1791)|
|Mother||Elizabeth Dickson (cir. 1750 - ); (mother's surname not given on baptism record)3|
|Relationship||3rd great-grandfather of Lorna Henderson|
H/stone Robert & Helen TURNBULL of Hathwaite Gate, Canonbie, Dumfries, rcvd from Bridget C, Nov 2009
BMDB dataRobert Turnbull was born cir. Jan 1774 Dikehead, Nichol Forest, CUL, ENG.3 He was baptized on 30 Jan 1774 Nichol Forest, CUL, ENG; the date was destroyed in the Par. records, but it was the first baptism for the year. The Nichol Forest Bishop's Transcript shows the full date and reads: "1774 Jan 30th Robert, son of Walter Turnbul of Dikehead, carpenter and Elizabeth his wife" which must be where the IGI extracted its information from, as the surname was spelt the same way there. The year agrees with Robert's age given in both the 1841 and 1851 census records.3,4,5,6
Robert Turnbull married Eleanor Scott on 28 Mar 1811 Stapleton, CUL, ENG, the entry in the Bishop's Transcripts reading: Robert Turnbull of Dikehead in the Parish of Kirkandrews and Elenor Scott of this Parish, (Stapleton) were married in this church by licence this twenty eigth day of March 1811 By me John Topping Curate. Witnesses Thomas Scott and Elenor Turnbull (assumed to be their respective siblings). Signed Robert Turnbull and Elenor Scot's Mark.7
Robert died on 7 May 1854 Riggmoor Gate, Nichol Forest, CUL, ENG; cert #174 reads: Robert Turnbull, 80, joiner, of general debility of old age, not certified, informant James Turnbull, present at the death, of Riggmoor Gate, Nicholforest, reg. 3 Jun 1854 John Hope, registrar of Registration District Longtown, sub district Longtown High in County of Cumberland.8 He was buried with Eleanor Scott Canonbie, DFS, SCT, Erected IMO Walter s/o Robert & Helen Turnbull of Hathetgate who died Oct 24th 1826 aged 4 yrs. Also Elizabeth their dtr who d. 15th Oct 1836 aged 22 yrs. Also above Helen Turnbull who d. 28th Sep 1846 aged 66 yrs. And above Robert Turnbull who died May 7th 1854 aged 82 yrs.9
Census/Where lived/OccupationsIn Mar 1811 Robert Turnbull was living Dykehead, Par. of Kirkandrews on Esk, CUL, ENG, when he and Eleanor married, and also at some point in son Robert's univeristy term.7,10 By 1814 he was a joiner Cuddies Town, Par. of Nichol Forest, CUL, ENG, when dtr Elizabeth baptised.11 In 1817 Robert was still a joiner, but Haithwaite Gate, Par. of Nichol Forest, CUL, ENG, when son John baptised (spelt Hathwat Gate.)12 In 1820 when son James baptised he was described as a joiner again, now Rigg Gate, Nichol Forest, CUL, ENG.2 In 1822 two years later, when son Walter was baptised, he was still a joiner, back Haithwaite Gate, Par. of Nichol Forest, CUL.13 In 1825 Robert was a carpenter, still Haithwaite Gate, Par. of Nichol Forest, CUL, when dtr Eleanor baptised.14
Robert appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 Glendinning Rigg Gate, Par. of Kirkandrews upon Esk, CUL, ENG, with Ellenor Turnbull, as Turnbull: Robert 65 joiner; Ellenor 55; James 15; Eleanor 14 All born county. (The places immediately before were Rigg Gate, Dikehead and Beyond the wood, after were Glendinning Rigg and Haithwaite Gate then Penton.) (NB instructions to the enumerators for this census were to round ages to the nearest multiple of 5, children tended to have their ages accurately recorded - or at least as accurate as such things can be. These instructions were not always followed.)5,15 In 1847 Robert Turnbull was listed in a Cumberland directory as: "Turnbull, Rt. joiner, Heathwaite gate", one of 17 names listed as being in the Township. The list of farmers shows Mary Broatch as farmer of Heathwaite. The directory waxes lyrical about the river Liddel which, together with the Kershope, separates Nichol Forest from Scotland. The Liddel apparently "rolls its rapid stream with much grandeur, forming, in some places, fine cascades, which foam over huge rocks and abrupt precipices."16
Robert Turnbull appeared on the census of 30 Mar 1851 Rigg Gate, Nichol Forest, CUL, enumerated as Turnbull: Robert, head, widower, 77, farmer of 15 acres; Son James 30, joiner; Dtr Elleanor, 25 (all b Nicholforest) and a servant James Gordon, 15, joiner b Kirkandrews on Esk. The previous entry was Haithwaite Gate (William and Ann Little) and the following Glendenning Rigg (John Armstrong and siblings William, James and Catherine.)17 He was given as a wheelwright on son James' death cert in 1891.18
All the other infoRobert and Helen were predeceased by their son Walter Turnbull on 24 Oct 1826; when he was 4 (at "Hathetgate.")9 Robert and Helen were predeceased by their dtr Elizabeth Turnbull on 15 Oct 1836.9
Robert Turnbull was the informant for the death of his wife Eleanor Turnbull on 28 Sep 1846 Riggcommon Gate, Nicholforest, CUL, ENG.19,20
It is rather hard to tell if Rigg Gate and Hathwaite Gate were one and the same place. The 1841 census taker's footsteps imply they were two different places, but the baptisms of Robert and Eleanor's children either show a very to-and-fro lifestyle between the two, or, as is more likely, the same place all along.21 In 1858 Glendenning Rigg was still occupied by James Armsrong, farmer."22 The ordnance survey map of 1863 shows a small dot representing the house of Robert Turnbull at the bottom of the road up to Glendinningrigg farmhouse. In 1994 the ruins of the house, together with some fruit trees, were still visible - just. The current occupants of the farmhouse were most intrigued to learn who had lived in the now ruined place, and found a directory, not in the Carlisle Record Office, which had Robert mentioned in it.23
External linksClick here to see Robert's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.24
|Eleanor Scott (cir. 1780 - Sep 1846)|
|Charts||My pedigree chart|
Ancestors (& their siblings) of Alice HENDERSON nee ANDREWS
Maternal ancestors of Lorna
Ellen TURNBULL's ancestors
|Last Edited||7 Jan 2018|
- James TURNBULL (17), DC Turnbull, James, 1891, Inspection p/copy held by L McIntosh, rcvd from Marie C, Edgecombe, Aug 1993.
- Baptisms: Nichol Forest, CUL, ENG, Bap. 1820 James TURNBULL, p/copy taken Aug 1994 (1813 to 1835), PR177/18.
- Bishop's Transcripts, KirkAndrews upon Esk, CUL, ENG, Nciholforest Christenings 1774: p/copy taken Aug 1994 held by Lorna.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Walter TURNBULL/Eliz children:Batch C035601 1761-1873 0090650 Film 6905645 - searched Aug 2002.
- 1841 Census transcriptions, Kirkandrews upon Esk, CUL, ENG, Dist 9, extracted Aug 1994.
- 1851 Census, Kirkandrews upon Esk, CUL, ENG, RG07/2428 P112 Schedule #21, p/copy taken Aug 1994.
- Bishop's Transcripts, Stapleton, CUL, ENG, Mar. 1811 Robert TURNBULL/Eleanor SCOTT, p/copy held, taken Aug 1994.
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Dth 1854 Robert TURNBULL, copy rcvd Oct 2002.
- Bridget C, "EM CUL Families: Bridget C," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, TURNBULL MI at Canonbie, ex 1960s transcr by GILCHRIST, rcvd Aug 2007; Photo rcvd Nov 2009.
- J A Venn, Alumni Cantabrigienses Part II 1752-1900, Robert TURNBULL, St John's, 1845-1849, p/copy of entry rcvd Feb 2006.
- Baptisms: Nichol Forest, CUL, ENG, Bap. 1814 Elizabeth TURNBULL, extracted Aug 1994 (1813 to 1835), PR177/18.
- Baptisms: Nichol Forest, CUL, ENG, Bap. 1817 John TURNBULL, son of Robert and Eleanor, extracted Aug 1994 (1813 to 1835), PR177/18.
- Baptisms: Nichol Forest, CUL, ENG, Bap. 1822 Walter TURNBULL, extracted Aug 1994 (1813 to 1835), PR177/18.
- Baptisms: Nichol Forest, CUL, ENG, Bap. 1825 Eleanor TURNBULL, extracted Aug 1994 (1813 to 1835), PR177/18.
- 1841 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Civil Parish: Kirkandrews Upon Esk; Sub Dist High Longtown, Dist Longtown, CUL, HO107; Piece: 169; Book: 10; ED: 9; Folio: 7; Page: 10; hsehold of Robert & Ellenor TURNBULL, rechecked from image, Oct 2013.
- Mannix & Whellan, Directory of Cumberland 1847, Pages 623 to 614 Eskdale Ward: Kirk-Andrwes-Upon-Esk Directory Nichol Forest Township: p/copy held, taken Aug 1994.
- 1851 Census, Kirkandrews upon Esk, CUL, ENG, Rigg Gate, Kirkandrews upon Esk, CUL, RG07/2428 P112 Schedule #21, hsehold of Robert TURNBULL, p/copy taken Aug 1994.
- James TURNBULL (17), DC Turnbull, James, 1891.
- DTH INDEX: St Caths:, Dth Eleanor TURNBULL, searched Apr 2003.
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Dth 1846 Eleanor TURNBULL nee SCOTT, copy rcvd Aug 2004.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Feb 2005.
- Post Office, Cumberland & Westmoreland PO Directory, p178 Kirk Andrews-upon-Esk Commercial; p/copy held, taken Aug 1994.
- Capt E R JAMES, Kirkandrews upon Esk, CUL, ENG Ordnance Survey, 1863.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct 2011.
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Mar. 1844 Robert TURNBULL and Louisa MAES, copy rcvd Mar 2005.
- Baptisms: Nichol Forest, CUL, ENG, Bap. 1814 Elizabeth to Robert & Eleanor TURNBULL, of Cuddies Town, extracted Aug 1994 (1813 to 1835), PR177/18.
- Baptisms: Nichol Forest, CUL, ENG, Bap. 1822 Walter TO Robert & Eleanor TURNBULL, of Hathwaite Gate, Nichol Forest, extracted Aug 1994 (1813 to 1835), PR177/18.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.