(21 June 1854 - 3 June 1926)
|Father||James Turnbull2,3 (Jun 1820 - Mar 1891)|
|Mother||Jane Graham2,3 (cir. Jan 1819 - Oct 1907)|
|Relationship||Great-grandmother of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataEllen Turnbull was born on 21 Jun 1854 Cottage, Haithwaite Gate, Nichol Forest, CUL, ENG.4,2 She was christened on 20 Aug 1854 Nichol Forest, CUL, ENG; entry #147 reads: Elen (sic) d/o James & Jane Turnbull, Haithwaite Gate Cottage, joiner.2
Ellen Turnbull married George Gibson Andrews, son of Simon Andrews and Jane Gibson (J), on 24 May 1876 in the Primitive Methodist Church, Bell Block, TNK, NZ, Folio #1011 cert. reads: May 24th 1876 Primitive Methodist Church Bell Block: George Gibson Andrews, farmer, bachelor to Ellen Turnbull, domestic, spinster, both of full age. Registered 24th May 1876. Signed by both, witnessed by Robert Turnbull, farmer, Huirangi near New Plymouth (Ellen's brother) and Eliza McKenzie, Huirangi, near New Plymouth. Minister John Dambell(?)5,6,1
Ellen Turnbull died on 3 Jun 1926 Blake St, Waitara, TNK, NZ, at age 71; Bdm #1289 reg Waitara qtr 2; cert reads: Ellen Andrews, widow, aged 72. Died 3rd Jun 1926. Last seen by G Perceval Adamson, 2nd Jun 1926. Father James Turnbull, farmer, mother Jane m.s. Graham. Buried 5th Jun 1926 Huirangi, by G H Gavin C of E. Born Northumberland, (should be Cumberland) England, in NZ 62 yrs. Married Huia Village (sic - surely this should be Huirangi) Taranaki at 21, to George Gibson Andrews. Survived by M 47,44,41 F 46 (Arthur, Ern, Len & Jessie). Informant: undertaker Waitara 7 June 1926
Obit: "A lady whose memory will be ever held dear by very many people on account of the deeds of kindness she ever seemed anxious to perform passed away at Waitara on Wed night. the one referred to was Mr. (sic) Ellen Andrews, relict of the late G.G. Andrews, for many years a resident of Huirangi. The deceased lady had been in ill health for some time past, and relatives and friends who watched over her had known that the end was high. There is one daughter - Mrs Leslie Tate and three sons - Messrs Leonard, Arthur and Ernest - left to mourn the loss of a good mother"
Dth Notice: ANDREWS At Waitara on Jun 3rd Ellen relict of the late G.G. Andrews aged 72 yrs.
Funeral notice: The funeral of the late Ellen Andrews will leave her late residence Waitara to-morrow (Sat Jun 5th) at 1:30pm for the Huirangi Cem. Topliss & Morrison Undertakers.3,7 She was buried with George Gibson Andrews Huirangi Cem., nr Waitara, TNK, NZ, Gib buried 1 Sep 1920, Ellen 5 Jun 1926 and first child, Archie, 20 Jul 1884.8,9,3,10,11
MigrationRobert, Ellen, Stephen and James immigrated 16 Sep 1862 on the "Great Australia" to Melbourne, VIC, AUS with James and Jane Turnbull from Liverpool, 25 Aug 1862.12
Ellen emigrated with James and Jane Turnbull 10 Aug 1866 on the "Tararua" from Melbourne, VIC, AUS to New Zealand - assumed to be to Wellington. TURNBULL: Mr James 45, marr; Mrs James 40; Robert 11, Ellen 10, Stephen 9 in the index of they voyage.
Progress of the voyage can be traced via newspaper shipping reports of the time:
18 Aug 1866 the Wellington Independent reported the expected arrival of the 'Tararua' "from Melbourne via the South" on the 23rd, expected departures 'Tararua' for Melbourne via Nelson and Hokitika, 23rd
21 Aug 1866 the Christchurch Press expected the 'Tararua' from Melbourne via the Bluff and Dunedin on or about Wed, expected departure on Thurs
24 Aug 1866 the Press reported that the 'Tararua' had sailed from Lyttelton for Wellington "steerage :1 and 120 original"
26 Aug 1866 the Wellington Independent provided a passenger list (not steerage), and a summary of the voyage of the P.N.Z. & A.R.M. Co.'s Steamship Tararua: departed Hobson Bay 4pm 10th, arr. Bluff 8am 16th, leaving 2pm. arr. Port Chalmers at daylight 17th (Fri), leaving 4:30 on the 21st (Tue); arr. Lyttelton 8:30am 22nd, leaving 6:15pm Thurs (23rd); arr. Wellington Harbour 11am 'yesterday' (24th).
James' dth cert. implies he arrived in NZ abt 1862, perhaps someone interpreted the question as when did he leave England.
Ellen's dth cert implies she arrived in NZ in 1864, a good compromise between the 1862 arrival in Australia and 1866 arrival in NZ.
It is assumed they disembarked at Wellington, although Nelson might also be a possibility. Bluff, Otago, Lyttelton and Hokitika seem unlikely.13,14,15,16,17,3,18,19
Census/Where lived/OccupationsThe census of 7 Apr 1861 showed Ellen as a 6 yr old scholar in the household of her parents James and Jane Turnbull Rigg Gate, Nichol Forest, CUL, ENG.20 She was living Blake St, Waitara, TNK, NZ, in Jun 1926 at her death, and for some years prior, the house is no longer standing, having been replaced some years since.21,22,23
Wills/bequestsEllen Andrews was named as an executrix, and beneficiary of the will of George Gibson Andrews on 13 Feb 1894 Waitara, TNK, NZ.24
Ellen Andrews wrote a will on 18 Nov 1919 Waitara, Taranaki, "I Ellen Andrews of Waitara in the Provincial District of Taranaki in the Dominion of New Zealand, Married Woman, hereby revoke all former Wills and Codicils made by me and declare that this is my last will.
1. I appoint my son Arthur James Andrews of Waitara, Labourer, and my son George Ernest Andrews of Brixton, carpenter... to be my Executors and Trustees of this my Will."
2. .. all real and personal estate to Trustees upon Trust
"a) Upon trust to pay the income thereof to or otherwise apply the same for the benefit of my husand George Gibson Andrews during his life And after his death
b) Upon trust to pay and divide the capital and income of my residuary estate among my children George Ernest Andrews, Arthur James Andrews, Leonard Andrews, and Jessie Graham Tate in equal shares"
(and if deceased, divided their share amongst their children.)25 Her estate was probated on 11 Sep 1926 New Plymouth, TNK, NZ; Probate file includes affidavits from executors (sons) Arthur James and George Ernest ANDREWS who state they knew Ellen Andrews of Waitara, widow, when alive, that they saw her dead body after death which was on or about 3 Jun 1926.
That the estate was under £3250, that Ellen was born "Cumberlandshire in England of British parents" and that they were both born in Taranaki of British parents.
Final value of estate was £3435/19/2d.26,27,25
NamesEllen Turnbull was also known as Mrs G G.21
All the other infoEllen brought up Ern & George Dixon ("the latter managed the Mahokatina Stn out Mokau way for years") when their mother died.21 Ellen Turnbull witnessed the marriage of Fred Andrews and Elizabeth Giddy on 25 Aug 1875 Waitara, TNK, NZ.28,29,30 Ellen and George were predeceased by their son Archie Andrews on 18 Jul 1884.10 Ellen Andrews was not listed on the electoral roll of 1893, the first to include women.31
Ellen Andrews was 53 when her mother Jane Graham died on 1 Oct 1907.32,33,34 Ellen was left a widow at age 66 on the dth of George Gibson Andrews on 30 Aug 1920 Waitara, Taranaki.8,35,36
External linksClick here to see Ellen's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.37
|George Gibson Andrews (Jul 1851 - Aug 1920)|
|Charts||John & Ann (COLE) ANDREWS|
William & Mary (?) GIPSON
My pedigree chart
Ancestors (& their siblings) of Alice HENDERSON nee ANDREWS
Maternal ancestors of Lorna
Ellen TURNBULL's ancestors
|Last Edited||15 Oct 2017|
- BDM: NZ Certificates, Birth 1881 George Ernest ANDREWS: Original held by Craig K, Stratford (8/93), copy held L McI.
- Bishops Transcripts Nichol Forest, CUL, ENG, Baptisms of children of Jane GRAHAM and James TURNBULL: Bap. 1854 Elen TURNBULL, p/copy taken Sep 1994 held by L McIntosh, Carlisle Record Office.
- Ellen TURNBULL (10), DC ANDREWS, Ellen nee TURNBULL 1926, Dth 1926 Ellen ANDREWS nee TURNBULL, inspection p/copy held, rcvd Apr 1993.
- Various, interviews / personal knowledge , Birthday, Ellen TURNBULL (although I'm not sure which family, and which knowledge, this date came from).
- NZ births deaths marriages (index on fiche), ANDREWS mar. 1875-76, extracted Mar 2002.
- Certificate, George Gibson ANDREWS (11) & Ellen TURNBULL (10) marriage of 24 May 1876 76/1011 or #1903? P/copy of inspection cert held by LornaHen, original from Marie C, Edgecombe, rcvd Aug 1993.
- NZ births deaths marriages (index on fiche), Deaths searched Jan 2002.
- George Gibson ANDREWS (11), DC ANDREWS, George Gibson 1920, Dth 1920 George Gibson ANDREWS, original inspection p/copy held by Marie C, Edgecombe, p/copy rcvd Aug 1993.
- Waitara, TNK Huirangi Cemetery, Burials , Burial 1884, Archie ANDREWS, extracted c 1993 (extracted 1993).
- Photo of H/Stone, unknown repository, Huirangi Cemetery, TNK: George Gibson & Ellen ANDREWS & son Archie, taken Aug 1993.
- Various Cemetery transcriptions, NZ Geneaological Society, Auckland, AKD, NZ, Photo of headstone, taken Jun 2005.
- VIC (AUS): Assisted & Unassisted Passenger Lists, 1839-1923 by AUS PRO Victoria online at ancestry.com, "Great Australia" dep. 15 Apr (Liverpool) arr. 16 Sep (Melbourne) 1862 James, Jane, Robert, Ellen, Stephen, James TURNBULL, extracted Mar 2016.
- Assorted indexes, NZ Soc. Gen. Index, "Tararua" 10 Aug 1866 Mr & Mrs James TURNBULL, Robert, Ellen, Stephen, dep. Melbourne, travelling steerage, extracted Mar 2016.
- Papers Past (NZ National Library) online at http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/, Expected shipping arrivals and departures, Wellington Independent, Volume XXI, Issue 2403, 18 August 1866, Page 4, extracted Mar 2016.
- Papers Past (NZ National Library) online at http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/, Expected shipping arrivals and departures, Press, Volume X, Issue 1182, 21 August 1866, Page 2, extracted Mar 2016.
- Papers Past (NZ National Library) online at http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/, Expected shipping arrivals and departures, Press, Volume X, Issue 1185, 24 August 1866, Page 2, extracted Mar 2016.
- Papers Past (NZ National Library) online at http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/, "Tararua" 25 Aug 1866, voyage report, from Wellington Independent, Volume XXI, Issue 2406, 25 August 1866, Page 4, extracted Mar 2016.
- James TURNBULL (17), DC Turnbull, James, 1891, Inspection p/copy held by L McIntosh, rcvd from Marie C, Edgecombe, Aug 1993.
- Papers Past (NZ National Library) online at http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/, Passenger List "Tararua", Wellington Independent, Volume XXI, Issue 2406, 26 August 1866, Page 4, extracted Mar 2016.
- 1861 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Nichol Forest, CUL Dist 8 RG9/3910 Folio 90 Page 15 Schedule #49 (1st of two numbered 49), hsehold of James & Jane TURNBULL, copy d/loaded May 2005.
- Various, interviews / personal knowledge , Interview Thelma LIGHT (adopted dtr of Ellen's son Len) to Lorna McI, Oct 1993.
- Ellen TURNBULL (10), DC ANDREWS, Ellen nee TURNBULL 1926, Dth 1926 Ellen ANDREWS nee TURNBULL, inspection p/copy held, taken Apr 1993.
- Various, interviews / personal knowledge , Marj ROSEWARNE and I took a look down the street just to reconfirm this, Jun 2005.
- NZ Archives: Probate Files , Probate 1920 & Will (13 Feb 1894) George Gibson ANDREWS, New Plymouth, TNK, Agency:ABAJ Accession: W4079 Series: 21954 images 37 - 46 on FamSearch, extracted Oct 2017.
- NZ Archives: Probate Files , Will 18 Nov 1919 Mrs Ellen ANDREWS, of Waitara, widow, P3572, New Plymouth Court, probate filed 1 Jun 1926, images 321 to 331, copy d/loaded Apr 2016.
- Assorted indexes, NZ Soc. Gen. Index, Index Will (Land Records) New Plymouth, searched Nov 2001.
- Assorted indexes, NZ Soc. Gen. Index, Probate Index, searched Nov 2001.
- BDM: NZ historical indexes online at http://bdmhistoricalrecords.identityservices.govt.nz/Search, Marr. 25 Aug 1875 Fred ANDREWS & Elizabeth GIDDY, ref. 1875/1585, extracted Jul 2016.
- NZ births deaths marriages (index on fiche), Marr. 1875 Fred ANDREWS and Elizabeth GIDDY, from search of ANDREWS marriages 1875-76, Folio #1689 , extracted Mar 2002.
- Interview, Michelle & Marie COX, Aug 1993.
- Assorted indexes, NZ Soc. Gen. Index, Electoral Roll (1893) - Women, searched Dec 2003.
- Jane TURNBULL (16), DC Turnbull, Jane, 1907, Waitara, original inspection cert held by Marie C, Edgecombe, p/copy rcvd Aug 1993.
- Taranaki Herald clippings or NP Index, Dth notice 4 Oct 1907 Jane TURNBULL p/copy taken Nov 1993 held L McIntosh.
- NZ Archives: Probate Files , Will/Probate file Mrs Jane TURNBULL, from New Plymouth probate files, 1867-1981, Agency: ABAJ Accession: W4079 Series: 21954 Item: R14560805 Box:16 Record: 1167 Images: 139 to149, copy d/loaded Nov 2016.
- Newspaper clippings, Dth notice/Funeral notice/Obit Aug 1920 George Gibson ANDREWS, from Taranaki Herald 31 Aug 1920, p/copies taken Nov 1993.
- BDM: NZ historical indexes online at http://bdmhistoricalrecords.identityservices.govt.nz/Search, Dth 30 Aug 1920 George Gibson ANDREWS, ref. 1920/2838, aged 69, extracted Aug 2015.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct 2011.
- Various, "NP descendents list (1941) ex 1st 6 ships", Drawn up in 1941 for the NP Centennial, listing known descendents of the immigrants on the first 6 ships into Taranaki, NZ.
Photocopies, taken 1993(?) of the copies held in the library, held by L McIntosh include later additions from subsequent visitors.
I've assumed a d. next to a name means they were dead in 1941.
- BDM: NZ Certificates, Birth 1881 George Ernest ANDREWS: Original held by Craig K, Stratford (8/93), copy held L MCI.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.