(circa March 1837 - 29 April 1911)
|Father||James Henderson1,2 (Sep 1813 - Aug 1892)|
|Mother||Amelia Millar1,2 (Feb 1817 - Apr 1894)|
|Relationship||2nd great-uncle of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataArchibald Henderson was born cir. Mar 1837 Craigmill, Par. of Logie, STI, SCT, (the map location assumes correct identification of Craigmill as on the Alloa Rd heading east from Stirling Univeristy.)2 He was baptized on 8 Mar 1837 Par. of Logie, STI/PER, SCT; entry shows Archibald as s/o James Henderson and Ameila Millar in Craigmill, bap. by the Revd Dr? Grierson, Minister of Dunblane.1,3,4,5,2
Archibald Henderson married Agnes Todd, daughter of Alexander Todd and Helen Noble, on 31 Dec 1856 Boughtknowes, Haywood, Par. of Carnwath, LKS, SCT, Cert shows a double wedding with Agnes' sister Janet: Archibald 19 blacksmith of Mid Forth, Carnwath, s/o James Henderson blacksmith & Amelia m.s. Millar; Agnes 16 of Boughtknowes, formerly a farm servant d/o Alexander Todd farmer and Helen m.s. Noble; Wit: John Brown and William Wilson (this latter possibly being the father of the Nathanial Wilson who married Janet Todd in the next cert); Est. Ch of Sct. (family info had Buckthnowes, but on the cert it is spelt Boughtknowes. NB son James had been born 2 days prior.)6,7,8,9
Archibald Henderson remarried on 24 Apr 1874 Hillhead, Par. of Carnwath, LKS, SCT, to Marion Crawford, daughter of William Crawford and Margaret Nisbet, who was probably a sister of the farmer William Crawford of Hillhead on whose farm Archibald's son Alexander was working in 1881. The cert reads: Archibald Henderson, blacksmith and widower; s/o James Henderson (blacksmith) and Amelia Millar; age 37; usual residence - Haywood, Parish of Carnwarth; Marion Crawford; daughter of a farmer and a spinster; d/o William Crawford and Margaret Nisbet; age 28; usual residence - Hillhead, Parish of Carnwarth; married after banns and according to the forms of the United Presbyterian Church; witnesses - William Henderson and John Crawford (presumed to be bride's brother); Minister - Alexander Banks, U.P. Minister, Braehead, Carnwath (witness assumed to be cousin William Henderson, son of Archibald, James' younger brother.)10,11,12
Archibald Henderson died on 29 Apr 1911 6 North Row, Kells, Whitehaven, CUL, ENG; his dth cert showing him as a blacksmith, dying of a double scrotal hernia (no operation), intestinal obstruction, and peritonitis. Inf. A D Henderson, son, of 6 North Row Kells, Whitehaven, present at death. Registered 1st May 1911.13 He was buried Whitehaven, CUL, ENG.14
Census/Where lived/OccupationsArchibald Henderson appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 Cleuch (Cleugh) Burnfoot, Forth, Par. of Carnwath, LKS, SCT, in the household of James Henderson and Amelia Henderson.5 Archibald, Margaret, David, William, Elizabeth and Amelia appeared on the census of 30 Mar 1851 in the Village, Forth, Par. of Carnwath, LKS, SCT, in the household of James and Amelia Henderson as children of James.15,16,17 He was a blacksmith when dtr Helen died on 4 Jul 1858 Carnwath, LKS, SCT.18
The census of 1861 showed Archibald with his wife Agnes, their son James, their dtr Helen Harrayfoot Hill, Par. of Carnwath, LKS, SCT, household enumerated as HENDERSON: Archibald, 24, blacksmith, birth place NK; wife Agness 20 b Carnwath; Son James 4; Dtr Helen 1, both b Carnwath.19
Archibald Henderson appeared on the census of 1871 No. 44 (or 144?), Haywood Village, Par. of Carnwath, LKS, SCT, with Agnes Henderson, enumerated as HENDERSON: Archbiald 34 blacksmith & fitter, b Logie, STI; wife Agnes 30 b Carnwath; Children (all b Carnwath, LKS): Alexr 7 scholar; Emelia 5; Archd 3; Agnes 1; Boarders: Alexr Weire, mar. 27 blacksmith b Shotts, LKS; William Cald(?rells?) unm, 24 blacksmith b Carluke, LKS. 1 child 5 to 13 at school, 2 rooms with one or more windows, next house occupied by Nisbet, coal miner.)20
The census of 3 Apr 1881 showed Archibald with his wife Marion, their sons William, John, Archibald and Robert, their dtr Agnes Concrete #42, Gt Clifton, CUL, ENG, household enumerated as HENDERSON: Archabald (sic), head, colliery Overman, mar, 44, wife Marion 36, both b. Scotland. Dtr Agnes, 11; Sons Archibald, 13, labourer; William 8, scholar; John, 4; (all b SCT); Robert 1, b. Gt Clifton, CUL (next door at No. 40 was son James and his new wife Rebecca.)21
Archibald and Marion Henderson appeared on the census of 6 Apr 1891 26 Braithwaite, Whitehaven, CUL, ENG, as HENDERSON, Archibald, 54, colliery overman; Marion, wife, 47 both b SCT; Children: Agnes, 21; William 18, hamerman (sic); John 14, message boy, (all b SCT); Robert, 11 scholar b Gt Clifton, CUL.22,23
Archibald Henderson appeared on the census of 1901 Harbour View (8), Whitehaven, CUL, ENG, enumerated as Archibald Henderson 66 (indexed as 63 on ancestry), blacksmith, b. Scotland, boarder with Cecil (37 yr old railway clerk b Fleetwood, Lancs) and Dinah Fitzjames and their 2 sons.24,25,26 He appeared on the census of 1911 6 North Row, Kells, Whitehaven, CUL, ENG, as father of Alexander David Henderson.27
Archibald Henderson was a "colliery manager" on his dtr Agnes' marriage cert in 1915 although on her dth cert in 1960 he is shown as a blacksmith.28,29 He was given as a blacksmith (journeyman), dec. on his son Alexander's dth cert in Sep 1939 SCT.30
Wills/bequestsArchibald Henderson did not leave a will this being assumed from the absence of a will listed in the calendar of Confirmations & Inventories for 1911 in the Carlisle Archives.31
All the other infoHe has the distinction of being the only one of the 12 children of James and Amelia Henderson that did not emigrate to NZ.
As the eldest child, he was already married with 3 (nearly 4) children when his younger brother David emigrated in 1863, the first of the family to do so, although a distant cousin had emigrated 3 years earlier. Several other siblings emigrated over the next few years, followed in 1874 by the rest of the family, parents included. A month after their arrival in NZ, Archibald remarried, in Lanarkshire, and moved to Cumberland sometime between 2 to 4 years later.32 Archibald was photographed probably in ?CUL, ENG, with his dog, so he seems to follow in Henderson footsteps as a dog lover.33
Archibald Henderson was the informant for the death of his wife Agnes Todd on 9 Feb 1873 Haywood Colliery, Par. of Carnwath, LKS, SCT.34
According to the previous booklet on the children of James and Amelia Henderson, he was "later manager of the Whitehaven Colliery in the year of the great disaster. The report appearing in the Otago Daily Times tells of the great loss of life. when all hope of further survivors had been given up, Mr Henderson's dog barked and barked and another five lives were saved". However, it is unlikely that he was the Manager, as census records show him as an oversman. I have not yet tracked down the newspaper report referred to as there were many Whitehaven Collieries, and many disasters.35
Archibald Henderson and Robert Henderson were possibly related both at Craigmill, albeit several decades apart. May or may not be a significant lead as to Henderson ancestry, my only reservation being that Robert just isn't a family name at all (well apart from this one family where there is a son Robert!)36
External linksClick here to see Archibald's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.37
|Agnes Todd (May 1840 - Feb 1873)|
|Marion Crawford (Feb 1844 - bet. 1891 - 1901)|
|Charts||Ancestors & siblings of Les Henderson|
Descendants of William McEWAN and Margaret GRAY
|Last Edited||9 Feb 2020|
- Isabella Chittock nee Howden, James Henderson and his family, Birth 1837 Archibald HENDERSON, extracted c 1972.
- Ian Aitken-Kemp, "EMail Corres. re HENDERSON/AITKEN between Ian A-K & LornaHen," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Bap. 8 Mar 1837 Archibald s/o James HENDERSON & Amelia MILLAR, in Craigmill, by Min of Dunblane, Logie, PER, 374/00500049, copy rcvd Jan 2009.
- Letter, Helen Sinton HENDERSON nee WIGHT (43) to family, 28 Nov 1875.
- 1851 Census, Carnwath, LKS, SCT, EnumDist 8 Entry #38, hsehold of James & Amelia(a) HENDERSON, extracted Sep/Oct 1994/5.
- 1841 Census, Carnwath, LKS, SCT, Dist 632 EnumDist 6, hsehold of James & Amelia HENDERSON, extracted Sep/Oct 1994/5.
- Isabella Chittock nee Howden, James Henderson and his family, Marr. 1856 Archibald HENDERSON & Agnes TODD, extracted c 1972.
- Jock & Hilary ALLISON, "I'VIEW, Ltrs, Email: ALLISON, Jock & Hilary," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Oct 2001.
- HENDERSON, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Marr. 1856 Archibald HENDERSON & Agnes TODD, batch M116321-?-6035516 R, rechecked Dec 2004.
- Ian Aitken-Kemp, "EMail Corres. re HENDERSON/AITKEN between Ian A-K & LornaHen," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Marr. 31 Dec 1856 Archibald HENDERSON & Agnes TODD, Boughtknowes, Par. of Carnwath, LKS Dist 632/00 Pg 10 #19 (dble with her sister Janet), copy rcvd Jan 2009.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Birth 1876 John HENDERSON, transcr Stuart H. Sep 2000.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Feb 2005.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Mar. 1874 Archibald HENDERSON and Marion CRAWFORD, transcr. Robert McC rcvd Feb 2005.
- Archibald Henderson, DC HENDERSON, Archibald, 1911, Whitehaven, CUL, ENG, Dist 10b Page 399 entry #352.
- Isabella Chittock nee Howden, James Henderson and his family, Burial Archibald HENDERSON, Whitehaven, extracted c 1972.
- 1851 Census, Carnwath, LKS, SCT, Village, Forth, Carnwath, LKS, EnumDist 8 Entry #38, hsehold of James & Amelia(a) HENDERSON, extracted Sep/Oct 1994/5.
- Census image, SCT, 1851 Village of Forth, Carnwath, LKS 632/00 008/00 011, hsehold of James & Amelia HENDERSON, copy d/loaded Aug 2011.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Aug 2011.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1858 Helen HENDERSON, Carnwath, Dist 632 #36, transc by Stuart H, rcvd c Sep 2000.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, 1861 Census, Par. of Carnwath, LKS, Dist 632 (ED8?) Page 3 Schedule #8, copy d/loaded Oct 2005.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, 1871 Census: Carnwath, LKS SCT Dist 632 ED 9 Page 26 Schedul #115, copy d/loaded May 2005.
- 1881 Census transcripts, UK, via Family Search/LDS CDs, Northern Borders, Film 1342248 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 5175 folio 120 page 40, extracted c 2000.
- 1891 Census, Various, Whitehaven, RG12/4314, Page 12, Schedule #74, Via Ancestry.com free trial, Jul 2004.
- Ian Aitken-Kemp, "EMail Corres. re HENDERSON/AITKEN between Ian A-K & LornaHen," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Archibald HENDERSON, 1891 census Whitehaven address: Braithwaite, between Wellington and Bransty Row, both of the latter still there, former not, rcvd Feb 2009.
- 1901 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Whitehaven, CUL Dist 19 RG13/4893 Folio 62 Page 5 Schedule #18, hsehold of Archibald HENDERSON, copy d/loaded Oct 2005.
- Bernard HALL, "Corres. re Whitehaven research ex B HALL," e-mail to L McIntosh (1), 1901 Kells census (Ref RG/13/4893 page 28 Folio 73), extract rcvd Aug 2002.
- PRO ENG online at http://www.census.pro.gov.uk/, 1901 Census online: index searched May 2004.
- 1911 Census images, ENG, http://www.findmypast.co.uk/CensusPersonStartSearchServlet , http://ancestry.com, Kells, Whitehaven, CUL RG14; Piece: 31502.ED 10 Reg. 577, hsehold of Alexander David & Margaret Ann HENDERSON, copy d/loaded Dec 2011.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Marr. 1915 Agnes HENDERSON & John DUNCAN, trans. Robert McC Dec 2002.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1960 Agnes DUNCAN nee HENDERSON trans. Robert McC Dec 2002.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1939 Alexander David HENDERSON, p/copy Nov 2002.
- Various, interviews / personal knowledge , Will search, Archibald HENDERSON, Carlisle Archives, Sep/Oct 1994/5.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Dec 2004.
- Isabella Chittock nee Howden, James Henderson and his family, Photo of Archibald HENDERSON and Dog, Page 7, scanned Apr 2000.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1873 Agnes HENDERSON nee TODD, transcr Stuart H. Sep 2000.
- Isabella Chittock nee Howden, James Henderson and his family, Archibald HENDERSON (& dog), saving lives in a Whitehaven Colliery Mining Disaster, extracted from Page 6, Apr 2000.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Jan 2009.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct 2011.
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Mar. 1880 James HENDERSON and Rebecca Ray NEALY, reg. Cockermouth, Dec qtr 1880 (Vol 10b p874), copy rcvd Oct 2005.
- 1881 Census, Cumberland, CUL, ENG, Neighbouring households of Archibald and James HENDERSON, extracted Sep/Oct 1994/5.
- HENDERSON, International Genealogical Index (IGI), HENDERSON/TOD(D) births, Carnwath, batch C116321, extracted 1993.
- Isabella Chittock nee Howden, James Henderson and his family, Children of Archibald HENDERSON and Agnes TODD, Page 2, extracted c 1972.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Death 1960 Agnes DUNCAN nee HENDERSON trans. Robert McC Dec 2002.
- 1881 Census, Cumberland, CUL, ENG, Extracted Sep/Oct 1994/5.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Birth 1882 Q1 Elizabeth Marion HENDERSON, mother CRAWFORD, reg. Cockermouth, CUL, 10B/513, extracted Dec 2018.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.